On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft by…

On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft (edition 2000)

by Stephen King

Member:psutto
Title:On Writing - A Memoir Of The Craft
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2000), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013 challenge

On Writing by Stephen King

English (390)  German (4)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (407)
Excellent advice, and a bit surprising, as he goes contrary to most other writers on writing, by not advocating much planning. I also found his Cut 10% rule a bit of a surprise, but it makes sense. I love his reading suggestions, and I am positively shocked by his one and only Excercise/Challenge for the reader. Seems like a good man (too bad he had to cut most of the two pages of community service in one of his books -helping alcholics off the street is nice for society, but I can understand why Tabby overruled it...)
Peace,
ShiraDestinie,
27 December, 12014 H.E. (Human Era) ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Best book on writing. Ever. I don't think I need to read another one ever again, but I will probably read this one over and over. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Gift from Susan Cooper.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
If you're a writer, whether MFA professor, blogger shut in your bedroom, journalist, or scribbler pursuing the classic novelist's struggle, everything you need to know is here. It's even entertaining and inspiring.

One of my favorite sections is "Toolbox." Writers: if you ignore grammar or feel yourself "above" classic grammar and syntax, you don't really understand your job. YOU ARE IN THIS TO COMMUNICATE SOMETHING. If you don't do it clearly, you are not doing your job.

It's not all nuts and bolts, though. Another favorite section tells King's healing experience through writing. And his childhood stories never fail to get me ROTFL. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
Peace,
ShiraDestinie,
27 December, 12014 H.E. (Human Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knudsen, BertilTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juti, RikuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Honesty's the best policy. -- Miguel de Cervantes
Liars prosper. -- Anonymous
This book is dedicated to Amy Tan, who told me in a very simple and direct way that it was okay to write it.
I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir, The Liar's Club.
"I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs and I will shout it from the rooftops."
"... there is a huge difference between story and plot. Story is honorable and trustworthy; plot is shifty and best kept under house arrest." (page 170)
On Writing tells of

writer's background more than rules

aspirants should learn.

(legallypuzzled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743455967, Mass Market Paperback)

Short and snappy as it is, Stephen King's On Writing really contains two books: a fondly sardonic autobiography and a tough-love lesson for aspiring novelists. The memoir is terrific stuff, a vivid description of how a writer grew out of a misbehaving kid. You're right there with the young author as he's tormented by poison ivy, gas-passing babysitters, uptight schoolmarms, and a laundry job nastier than Jack London's. It's a ripping yarn that casts a sharp light on his fiction. This was a child who dug Yvette Vickers from Attack of the Giant Leeches, not Sandra Dee. "I wanted monsters that ate whole cities, radioactive corpses that came out of the ocean and ate surfers, and girls in black bras who looked like trailer trash." But massive reading on all literary levels was a craving just as crucial, and soon King was the published author of "I Was a Teen-Age Graverobber." As a young adult raising a family in a trailer, King started a story inspired by his stint as a janitor cleaning a high-school girls locker room. He crumpled it up, but his writer wife retrieved it from the trash, and using her advice about the girl milieu and his own memories of two reviled teenage classmates who died young, he came up with Carrie. King gives us lots of revelations about his life and work. The kidnapper character in Misery, the mind-possessing monsters in The Tommyknockers, and the haunting of the blocked writer in The Shining symbolized his cocaine and booze addiction (overcome thanks to his wife's intervention, which he describes). "There's one novel, Cujo, that I barely remember writing."

King also evokes his college days and his recovery from the van crash that nearly killed him, but the focus is always on what it all means to the craft. He gives you a whole writer's "tool kit": a reading list, writing assignments, a corrected story, and nuts-and-bolts advice on dollars and cents, plot and character, the basic building block of the paragraph, and literary models. He shows what you can learn from H.P. Lovecraft's arcane vocabulary, Hemingway's leanness, Grisham's authenticity, Richard Dooling's artful obscenity, Jonathan Kellerman's sentence fragments. He explains why Hart's War is a great story marred by a tin ear for dialogue, and how Elmore Leonard's Be Cool could be the antidote.

King isn't just a writer, he's a true teacher. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

Stephen King reflects on how his writing has helped him through difficult times and describes various aspects of the art of writing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible