Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban

Riddley Walker (1980)

by Russell Hoban

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Rynooo, browner56, pfeldman)
    browner56: Highly imaginative works, particularly the phonetic recreations of the English language
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (amberwitch)
    The Postman by David Brin (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Although the language is very different the themes are similar
    Lanark by Alasdair Gray (fugitive)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (fugitive)
    Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Graphic novel centered around the immortal rapscallion Mr. Punch, and his friends, Pooty, their pig babby, and Drop John the Foller Man (or Mr On The Levvil, if you will).
    The Last English King by Julian Rathbone (isabelx)
    isabelx: Charcoal burners living and working the same way in mediaeval and post-apocalyptic settings.
    The Book of Dave: a revelation of the recent past and the distant future by Will Self (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian (sturlington)
    Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk (fugitive)
    fugitive: The protagonist uses a fractured, and manufactured language which takes some getting used to.

Read this book ages ago. It popped up as a suggesstion on Goodreads because I am currently reading The Cloud Atlas. Both books are amazing feats of imagination, and both take us into a post apocalyptic future where English has evolved into something quite different from what we know today. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I have just finished reading the Folio Society Limited edition of Riddley Walker.
The post-apocalyptic theme is a common one in science fiction, but in Riddley Walker, it is approached in a unique way as it uses the language of the 44th. century rather than our own.
As a result, it is not a fast book to read, but you soon get used to the new words and altered definitions of known words. Just let your eyes flow across the words and the meaning seems to become clear. Checking the glossary at the end of the book would have helped, but I only found this after I had finished.
To describe it as a nitty-gritty version of the dystopian future is a gross understatement. The rough edges grate on your consciousness, and as a result it is probably a far more realistic version of this possible future than that portrayed by the more dramatic authors of the genre.
The FS edition is superb with its dark moody textural cover (and page edge washes), heavy paper and large type (helps ion reading the strange dialect). The illustrations by Quentin Blake perfectly fit the dialogue, and are at exactly the right place in the text.
A book that I will remember for a long time, and this edition is highly recommended. ( )
  wcarter | May 7, 2017 |
The tale itself is a short and slender one, but the way its told is an extraordinary literary achievement. The events of the book take place thousands of years after a nuclear war has destroyed civilization, and humans are living in a kind of Iron Age, dimly aware that mankind was once much greater, and trying to puzzle out the connections between that lost world and their own mucky one. The author immerses you in the look, feel and smell of this place. What is extraordinary is, the entire story is written in the dialect of the time--a kind of smashed English in which words have been broken and put back together many times, like bones that have been fractured and imperfectly set by someone over and over. Some of it will come to you from sounding the words phonetically, and some will come from repetition of the same phrases in different contexts. The hardest part for me were proper and place names-- I'm not overly familiar with the geography or proper names of England, which is where the story takes place. ( I had to look in the glossary to find out "rizlas" were cigarette papers.) The constant repetition wore me down after awhile, and sometimes it seemed like nothing was happening, the characters were just turning things over (and over and over) in their heads. Something truly momentous occurs at the end of chapter 16, and that was an "Aha!" moment for me. There were two Afterwords, a glossary and some notes at the end, and I might have had an easier time if I'd read them first, but I'm kind of glad I muddled through on my own. I will read it again now, and I'm sure I''ll pick up on things I missed the first time. Because the story is told first person by the title character, you really get to know him well and care about him--not so much the other characters. Strangely enough, the only secondary character I really felt anything for was a dog. This isn't an easy book to get through, but well worth the effort as I've never read anything like it. ( )
1 vote unclebob53703 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Coincidentally, I found this book because it was quoted in in a math text. I'm glad I found it because it’s unlike anything I’ve read from the standpoint of language, subject, and imagination. In some ways, it reminded me of Lord of the Flies because it similarly places children in a dystopian and cultish environment. However, the humor and British flair make it stand out; I had never heard of Punch and Judy until finding this book.

Before commenting on the themes of the book, I’ll give my take on the language in this book since it’s so prominent from the moment you start reading. First, it took me a couple attempts to get into the flow of reading Riddleyspeak. It’s not that it’s very difficult, but it does take effort and can be frustrating when you can’t move through pages very quickly because of pauses to decipher a new phrase. Slowly, each page builds a little Riddley voice in your mind and it becomes much easier to flow. In my first attempts, I tried to find an audiobook, but none is publicly available. This helped push me to read and I’m better for it. I would still love to hear the book along the lines of this video: https://youtu.be/5WX3hIeeJfI. It would be a treat.

Aside from the language, the rhythm of Riddley's storytelling is abrupt and sometimes non sequitur. This can be disorienting, attention grabbing and comedic at different times. Violence and “crude” details are brought up at moments you wouldn’t expect in a casual manner. Nursery rhymes are thrown into the storytelling, as are “mythological” tales from Riddley’s culture.

The themes of the book are various:

*Violence
*Nursery rhymes/Mythology
*Coming of age
*Cult behavior/Origin stories and religion/Mysticism
*Death and destruction of civilization
*Computer elites
*Imagery related to the body

The most relevant theme, even/especially today, is the idea of computer elites that have gone too far and brought upon destruction from technological advancement. It is a fun journey to walk through Riddley’s partial enlightenment of the past (our present) and to view the modern world from the eyes of a person removed from it in a primordial, dark ages world of mud, smoke, bone, (yellowboy) stones, and blood.

There are a few knocks against this book. Riddley’s thought patterns get fairly repetitious. While the ending feels right, it also feels very abrupt and open ended. I also didn’t make a connection or care about any of the characters other than Riddley. However, I loved the imagery of the landscape and felt a very immersed in the setting, especially when Riddley is sneaking around like an outlaw. It's a fun read and worth the time. ( )
  danrk | Sep 11, 2016 |
Brilliant creation of a world, a language, a culture. Not so good on plot management, and the newageish world view wore me down after a while. It was interesting at first but they go on and on about it. It makes sense in a way, as their belief system is how they (and all of us) make sense of the madness they're in the midst of. I just wished Riddley wouldn't keep writing about it after he ran out of something new to say. ( )
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |

Richard, NicolasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, AdamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Self, WillIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus has said:
Blessed is the lion that
the man will devour, and the lion
will become man. And loathsome is the
man that the lion will devour,
and the lion will become man.

Gospel of Thomas, Logion 7
Translated by George Ogg
To Wieland
On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt ben none for a long time befor him nor I aint looking to see none agen.
O what we ben! And what we come to!
(p. 100)
Im so old you know my memberment is mosly gone I jus have bits of this and that in my head like meat and vedgerbels in a stew Im jus a old stew head is all I am.
(p. 149)
I dont have nothing only words to put down on paper. Its so hard. Some times theres mor in the emty paper nor there is when you get the writing down on it.
(p. 158)

Blurb of the 20th Anniversary paperback edition:
Walker is my name and I am the same. Riddley Walker. Walking my riddels where ever theyve took me and walking them now on this paper the same.
Composed in an English which has never been spoken and laced with a story-telling tradition that predates the written word, Riddley Walker is the world waiting for us at the bitter end of the nuclear road. Desolate, dangerous and harrowing, it is a modern masterpiece.
His story, telling
of his story, is telling -
and makes history.
(mekonista)

Set in a remote future in a post-nuclear holocaust England (Inland), Hoban has imagined a humanity regressed to an iron-age, semi-literate state--and invented a language to represent it. Riddley is at once the Huck Finn and the Stephen Dedalus of his culture--rebel, change agent, and artist. Read again or for the first time this masterpiece of 20th-century literature with new material by the author.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,601,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible