The Rocking-Horse Winner by D. H. Lawrence

The Rocking-Horse Winner (edition 2010)

by D. H. Lawrence (Author)

58None202,604 (3.78)11
Member:djryan
Title:The Rocking-Horse Winner
Authors:D. H. Lawrence (Author)
Info:
Collections:Audiobook, Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, literature, greed

The Rocking-Horse Winner by D. H. Lawrence

I 'read' this on audio. I'm getting used to the medium and can see that the acting ability of the narrator is what makes all the difference. More difference that the actual text written by the author. This narrator, a woman, chose to give the little boy a thin, reedy voice, almost laughable, but written, I could see that this had considerably greater depth.

No matter what I read and hear, I have to say that still to me listening to an audio book is entirely synonymous to listening to a radio play and in no way has the depth of a written book - after all th e characterisation and emphasis have all been taken out of my hands and, like with a film, its someone else's interpretation that is feeding my brain.
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |
Nice short story. Ending was odd and unexpected and felt like an "I have to end this." The child was more adult than the adults.
1 vote iamagirldork | Sep 20, 2006 |

"Dramascripts" are intended for use in secondary schools, amateur theatrical groups and youth clubs. This play is an adaptation of D.H.Lawrence's "The Rocking-Horse Winner", a moving short story which deals with greed and the dangers of outright materialism.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:39 -0400)

A young boy growing up in a household where there is no love, no luck, and always a shortage of money, develops an uncanny ability to pick horse-race winners whenever he obsessively rides his wooden rocking-horse. Includes an analysis of the story and a biography of the author.… (more)

1 wanted1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible