A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna…

A Short Guide to a Happy Life (2000)

by Anna Quindlen

A wonderful book, I'll keep it in the front room so it'll catch my eye at the right time to read it again. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Expanded commencement speech. Interesting that she repeated the same words as Bill Gates Sr (the microsoft guys's Dad) - "just show up for life" ( )
  nancynova | Mar 10, 2018 |
It was really short! ( )
  April44 | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is a very quick read, full of advice like (paraphrasing) take in the view, leave the office, life's about the journey--not the destination. Commencement speech material. Nothing new, but I enjoyed the black and white photographs interspersed among the pages of writing. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
"A Short Guide to a Happy Life" is a trite column-slash-commencement speech about the author's appreciation of life after the death of her mother. You'd think a novelist would be able to summon some realistic detail about love and loss — if she can, it's not in this volume. ( )
  bexaplex | May 28, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375504613, Hardcover)

"I'm not particularly qualified by profession or education to give advice and counsel," confesses author Anna Quindlen, as she begins this tender little instruction book. "It's widely known in a small circle that I make a mean tomato sauce, and I know many inventive ways to hold a baby while nursing, although I haven't had the opportunity to use any of them in years."

It is precisely this commonplace form of wisdom that make readers trust and respect Quindlen. She uses her candid, heart-to-heart narrative voice along with her novel-writer descriptive skills to show readers how good we have it: "Life is made up of moments, small pieces of mica in a long stretch of glittering gray cement." Later she urges readers to "Look at the fuzz on a baby's ear. Read in the backyard with the sun on your face." The format smacks of "gift book," with an abundance of pleasing, artsy photographs. Don't be ashamed to fall for the packaging, though. This is one of those books that could remain in the living room for years or in the family for generations. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:12 -0400)

"... what it takes to 'get a life'--to live deeply every day ... rather than merely to exist through your days."--Dust jacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible