Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

Over Sea, Under Stone (1965)

by Susan Cooper

Other authors: Margery Gill (Illustrator)

Series: The Dark is Rising Sequence (1)

4,4291061,107 (3.82)1 / 257
    The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy M. Boston (tyranist)
    Earthfasts by William Mayne (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another classic children's book with an Arthurian theme, bringing the Matter of Britain into the 20th century.
    The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (Hibou8)
    Elidor by Alan Garner (bookwyrmm)
    Mystery at Witchend by Malcolm Saville (humouress)
    humouress: The same sense of adventure, and children in mid 20th century Britain striving against sinister adults.
    The Greenstone Grail by Amanda Hemingway (bookwyrmm)

Dark and deliciously suspenseful. I'm a little surprised it wasn't too dark and deliciously suspenseful for my somewhat sensitive children, but they usually have more trouble with movies than with books so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I'm glad, though, because I enjoyed the book and now we can put the second in the series in our "lunchtime listening" queue. ( )
1 vote ImperfectCJ | Apr 28, 2016 |
I think this is the German version of Over Sea, Under Stone
  Revels | Mar 10, 2016 |
Ostensibly the first book in the Dark is Rising series, but I read it after I'd already been introduced to Will Stanton. It's my least favorite of the series and I like the Drew siblings the least of all the characters in the series, but it's still far and away better than all other fantasy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Description: On holiday in Cornwall, the three Drew children discover an ancient map in the attic of the house that they are staying in. They know immediately that it is special. It is even more than that -- the key to finding a grail, a source of power to fight the forces of evil known as the Dark. And in searching for it themselves, the Drews put their very lives in peril.

This is the first volume of Susan Cooper's brilliant and absorbing fantasy sequence known as The Dark Is Rising.

Thoughts: I received [The Dark is Rising], the second book in this series, as my SantaThing gift. Naturally, I couldn't read it until I read the first book in the series!

This book certainly felt like one written in 1965. The story was good but there is very little time spent on slowly building the character relationships or advancing the plot. It clips along rather quickly from event to event. It's still rather good, just missing a lot of that nuance and atmosphere that most really compelling books would contain today.

Rating: 3.5
Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 3
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 4
  leahbird | Jan 24, 2016 |
This has the potential to be a fun story, but the main characters are flat, their actions are unbelievable at times (even for the setting), and the writing is just so-so. Too many deus ex machina for one story. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gill, MargeryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father, with love
"Where is he?"

Barney hopped from one foot to the other as he clambered down from the train, peering in vain through the white-faced crowds flooding eagerly to the St Austell ticket barrier. "Oh, I can't see him. Is he there?"
This LT work, Over Sea, Under Stone, is Book 1 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from other single titles in the series, and from any combination(s) of part or all of the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020427859, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Three children on a holiday in Cornwall find an ancient manuscript which sends them on a dangerous quest for a grail that would reveal the true story of King Arthur and that entraps them in the eternal battle between the forces of the Light and the forces of the Dark.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 24 books! | Top bar: Always visible