Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

Over Sea, Under Stone (original 1965; edition 1989)

by Susan Cooper

5,0271071,314 (3.81)1 / 278
Member:amyandroland
Title:Over Sea, Under Stone
Authors:Susan Cooper
Info:Simon Pulse (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper (1965)

The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (Hibou8)
    Earthfasts by William Mayne (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another classic children's book with an Arthurian theme, bringing the Matter of Britain into the 20th century.
    Elidor by Alan Garner (bookwyrmm)
    Mystery at Witchend by Malcolm Saville (humouress)
    humouress: The same sense of adventure, and children in mid 20th century Britain striving against sinister adults.
    The Greenstone Grail by Amanda Hemingway (bookwyrmm)

I love this book and this series tons, but it didn't work out so well as a read-aloud with our 10-year-old. I'm a bit sad that he didn't enjoy it as much as I do, but maybe in a couple of years he'll revisit the series. ( )
  scaifea | Sep 22, 2018 |
I enjoyed the writing, and the characters quite a lot. The plot, on the other hand, felt weak. Events happened far too conveniently. The narration was good, and I recall being very impressed with the second book in this series. I've heard from others that this is the weakest book in the series, so I'll keep listening and see how it goes. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I happen to own the third book in this series, but decided to start the series at the beginning, so I got this out of the library. I read a lot of middle grade books with my 10 year old. It was interesting to get into this one, because compared to a lot of the other middle grade fantasy books I've been reading recently this is a lot slower and the children are a lot calmer than in some of the newer books. It took me a bit to get into it just because I expected a lot more action from the description, but once I put my expectations aside I was eager to watch the kids work through the mystery, and rooting for them when the unsavory adults were after them.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 2, 2018 |
Wonderful introduction to the 'Dark is Rising' Sequence by Susan Cooper. Suited to the older ages in the YA genre. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Apr 25, 2017 |
This is the first volume in Cooper's series The Dark is Rising, which I read when I was a kid. Wonderfully suspenseful and beautifully paces, and filled with Arthurian legend. What more could a guy want? ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |

Susan Cooperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gill, MargeryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, JulieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father, with love
"Where is he?"

Barney hopped from one foot to the other as he clambered down from the train, peering in vain through the white-faced crowds flooding eagerly to the St Austell ticket barrier. "Oh, I can't see him. Is he there?"
This LT work, Over Sea, Under Stone, is Book 1 (of 5 Books) in Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising Sequence. Please distinguish it from other single titles in the series, and from any combination(s) of part or all of the series. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020427859, Mass Market Paperback)

On holiday in Cornwall, the three Drew children discover an ancient map in the attic of the house that they are staying in. They know immediately that it is special. It is even more than that -- the key to finding a grail, a source of power to fight the forces of evil known as the Dark. And in searching for it themselves, the Drews put their very lives in peril.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Three children on a holiday in Cornwall find an ancient manuscript which sends them on a dangerous quest for a grail that would reveal the true story of King Arthur and that entraps them in the eternal battle between the forces of the Light and the forces of the Dark.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,220,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible