Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik

Victory of Eagles

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (5)

This was a great addition to the series. The dust cover makes it out to seem like Laurence and Temeraire are separated from each other for the majority of the book but they actually reunite pretty early on. The rest is their reconciliation with what they did at the end of the last book, which has tarred both of their reputations and livelihoods and good old war. There are some good battle scenes in here. I felt that Temeraire got a much bigger spotlight in this book as well and he shined. The language is different than any other book that I've read but you get used to it and it factors into making the books what they are - something wholly different. Refreshing and great. And it is humorous following dragon logic. If you like dragons or/and historical fiction I would highly recommend this series. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 28, 2015 |
Description: For Britain, conditions are grim: Napoleon’s resurgent forces have breached the Channel and successfully invaded English soil. Napoleon’s prime objective is the occupation of London. Unfortunately, the dragon Temeraire has been removed from military service–and his captain, Will Laurence, has been condemned to death for treason. Separated by their own government and threatened at every turn by Napoleon’s forces, Laurence and Temeraire must struggle to find each other amid the turmoil of war. If only they can be reunited, master and dragon might rally Britain’s scattered resistance forces and take the fight to the enemy as never before–for king and country, and for their own liberty.

Thoughts: Another new aspect of these books: now the POV shifts from third person narration with Laurence as the center to dual third person POVs with Laurence and Temeraire given equal precedence. I rather enjoyed this new aspect since it gives so much more access and insight into the dragons themselves and not just Laurence's observations of the dragons.

Plotwise, this one was interesting but not all that engaging. Again, I'm just not the perfect audience for war stories, battles mostly bore me and the savages of war really depress me, even from the distance of a couple hundred years and some factual liberties. The only really redeeming part of the battles and strategies were the dragons themselves and their contributions. That was rather wonderful.

Again, Iskierka! So troublesome and yet hilarious, the little pirate. But also now, Perscitia! That is one smart dragon and a personality that just doesn't stop. I love her interactions with just about everyone, but most especially with Wellsley/Wellington.

Rating: 3.7

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4759469 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I read it all in one day and except for one brief period where I had to take a break, I read it all in one sitting.

This is easily her best book yet. This is the first time, I believe, she's narrated through Temeraire in addition to Laurence and it's brilliant. I adore Temeraire and reading through his POV made me love him more.

The only complaint I have is about the ending. I understand that despite everything Laurence has done, he's still a traitor. But couldn't they let him off the hook a little? What the English wanted to do was morally reprehensible, yet they still see what he did for dragonkind as a greater evil. Then again, when these people consider dragons "beasts" and not intelligent like humans, it shouldn't be that much of a surprise.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
The events of the series continue to diverge from real history (the book opens with French dragons leading Napoleon’s invasion fleet across the English Channel), before converging to something a bit more like it (a general gets his title and an admiral is killed, though the details are very different, and naturally the war with France looks quite different).

The main character spends much of the book trying to come to terms with the moral and legal consequences of his actions at the end of the previous book in the series. I haven’t decided if there’s much substance to this part of the book, but at least appreciate the attempt to paint in shades of grey.
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this! --- spoilers ---

Where Empire of Ivory suffers major pacing problems, Victory of Eagles hurtles along into an exciting series of battles and wonderful growth of the various dragons as individuals. The description of the setting and the world around the characters seemed much more vibrant to me in this book, too. I wish I'd been more convinced by Laurence's mopeyness, and the Tharkay-ex-machina is a trope I'd love Novik to stay far, far away from, but the payoff of this volume makes slogging through Empire of Ivory more than worth it.

Next up (after Novik's hiatus -- and how anyone can crank out five novels so quickly is beyond me) are the Antipodes! I'm excited! ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dr. Sonia Novik, who gave this book a home
The breeding grounds were called Pen Y Fan, after the hard, jagged slash of the mountain at their heart, like an ax-blade, rimed with ice along its edge and rising barren over the moorlands: a cold, wet Welsh autumn already, coming on towards winter, and the other dragons sleepy and remote, uninterested in anything but their meals.
The breeding grounds were called Pen Y Fan, after the hard, jagged slash of mountain rising like an axe-blade at their heart, rimed with ice along its edge and rising barren over the moorland.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345512251, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:23 -0400)

The dragon Temeraire, after learning his captain Laurence has been sentenced to death for treason, leads other uncaptained dragons of Britain's Aerial Corp into battle during the Napoleonic War and eventually reunites with his commander and demands freedom, pay, and a voice in the war counsel for dragons.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,661,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible