Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik

Victory of Eagles

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (5)

The Temeraire books get progressively more excellent. This is the best yet! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Another great audiobook narrated by Simon Vance in the alternative history fantasy series about dragons fighting in the Napoleonic wars. I love this series and I especially like listening to them. It reminds me of when I was young and we listened to serials on the radio. I would have my own vision of the story and the characters which I missed once TV came into our lives.

In this episode Temeraire and Lawrence are separated because Lawrence was convicted of treason for taking the plague cure to France so their dragons would not die. Temeraire is in the dragon breeding ground in Wales and Lawrence is a prisoner on a ship in the English channel with a death sentence hanging over his head. Napoleon chooses this time to try to invade England and the ship Lawrence is on takes part in the battle. Temeraire is told that the ship went down with no survivors. In his grief he decides to break out of the breeding ground with all the other dragons and fight Napoleon as unmanned dragons. Lawrence and Temeraire are reunited and Temeraire is delighted to have Lawrence back but he senses Lawrence is deeply unhappy. It slowly dawns on Temeraire how the treason sentence has affected Lawrence even if he can get the death sentence abrogated. Lawrence and Temeraire are significant combatants in the battle with Napoleon which results in Bonaparte being ousted from England. Nevertheless Lawrence is persona non grata in England. At the end of the book he and Temeraire are on their way to Australia.

In our history, of course, Napoleon never set foot on English soil but there are parallels between this alternative history and ours. Horatio Lord Nelson dies at the end of the battle with Napoleon just as he died at the end of the Battle of Trafalgar although his navy was sufficient to vanquish the French forces. The commander of the British forces in this book was Arthur Wellesley was made Lord Wellington after the battle with Napoleon just as he did in real life after the battle of Talavera in Spain.

Thankfully there are still more books in this series but I may have to read them because the library's electronic media site doesn't have them in its catalogue. That's a shame. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jan 21, 2016 |
I liked this installment much better than the previous volume because there was plenty of swashbuckling and some interesting takes on Napoleonic era battles with the addition of sentient dragons. Laurence moped about his honor somewhat as he had in the previous installment but it didn't bring the tone of the book down nearly as much as it did in the previous installment ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
a good one.. i admit i skimmed some of the war strategy stuff. the dragons forming their own militia i liked a lot. Laurence's depression not so much. the devastation of the war on England was detailed enough for me to feel awful and once again thank God war has never been played out in my time in my country. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dr. Sonia Novik, who gave this book a home
The breeding grounds were called Pen Y Fan, after the hard, jagged slash of the mountain at their heart, like an ax-blade, rimed with ice along its edge and rising barren over the moorlands: a cold, wet Welsh autumn already, coming on towards winter, and the other dragons sleepy and remote, uninterested in anything but their meals.
The breeding grounds were called Pen Y Fan, after the hard, jagged slash of mountain rising like an axe-blade at their heart, rimed with ice along its edge and rising barren over the moorland.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345512251, Mass Market Paperback)

For Britain, conditions are grim: Napoleon’s resurgent forces have breached the Channel and successfully invaded English soil. Napoleon’s prime objective is the occupation of London. Unfortunately, the dragon Temeraire has been removed from military service–and his captain, Will Laurence, has been condemned to death for treason. Separated by their own government and threatened at every turn by Napoleon’s forces, Laurence and Temeraire must struggle to find each other amid the turmoil of war. If only they can be reunited, master and dragon might rally Britain’s scattered resistance forces and take the fight to the enemy as never before–for king and country, and for their own liberty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

The dragon Temeraire, after learning his captain Laurence has been sentenced to death for treason, leads other uncaptained dragons of Britain's Aerial Corp into battle during the Napoleonic War and eventually reunites with his commander and demands freedom, pay, and a voice in the war counsel for dragons.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible