Thebes of the Hundred Gates by Robert…

Thebes of the Hundred Gates (1992)

by Robert Silverberg

A quick read, this read more like a short story than a novel, and at 116 pages, perhaps it was. I would've liked to have had more details along the way about the characters, but they were not well developed. I think this biggest problem with this book is that it had no climax. It carried along at a steady keel, with minimal ups and downs. It was interesting, but not very engaging. ( )
1 vote stubbyfingers | Jul 6, 2008 |
Heaven is opened, the company of gods shines forth!
Amon-Re, Lord of Karnak, is exalted upon the great sea!
The Great Nine are exalted upon their seats!
Thy beauties are thine, O Amon-Re, Lord of Karnak!

- The Liturgy of Amon
    O Flame which came forth backwards, I have not stolen the god's offerings

O Bone-breaker who came forth from Heracleopolis, I have not told lies.

O Eater of entrails who came forth from the House of Thirty, I have not committed perjury.

O You of the darkness who came forth from the darkness, I have not been quarrelsome.

O Nefertum who came forth from Memphis, I have done no wrong, I have seen no evil.

- The Negative Confession
For Joe and Gay Haldeman---
---many a cup of kindness yet---
The sensory impact pressed in on him from all sides at once in the first dazzling moment of his arrival: a fierce bombardment of smells, sights, sounds, everything alien, everything much too intense, animated by a strange inner life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553294946, Mass Market Paperback)

A rookie with Time Service, Edward Davis goes back in time to to the ancient city of Thebes in Eighteenth Dynasty Egypt, where he is befriended by a beautiful Egyptian slave girl and where he learns the trade of the embalmers. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:56 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,319,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible