Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling C. Holling

Paddle-to-the-Sea (1941)

by Holling C. Holling

Minn of the Mississippi by Holling C. Holling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are long Hollings childrens book, of epic voyages and interesting characters.

49 months - I really enjoyed reading this with my daughter. I was expecting it to be about a real person paddling the Great Lakes but this idea is much more creative. A great geography lesson and lots of other learning too. Great vocabulary about nature. It would be fantastic to have a newer version of this book with more vivid colors in the illustrations. The art style is very much Group of Seven-esque. A good story to introduce my little dual citizen to natural connection and resources the two countries share. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A classic, Caldecott honor book. A native boy from Nipigon Canada carves a miniature canoe with paddler, and with help from people along the way the scrap of wood makes it all the way through the Great Lakes and finally to France. Fascinating - and reminiscent of BookCrossing and how our books travel the world. Lovely and informative, shaped like a picture book for toddlers but recommended for ages 8-108. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I had never read this story before, but I thought that it was a great book! It was fairly long, so it would be an ongoing classroom read instead of taking only one story time, but it tells the adventurous journey of a little wooden canoe carving through the great lakes and out to the ocean. (Historical Fiction)
  apoffenroth13 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I found this book the day before Bay Books, an independent bookseller, closed its doors in Concord, California. Perhaps I should say that the book found me. Why would I buy a children's book? It must have been the local book dragon whispering in my ear, for I am grateful for this great find.

The author takes us on a trip that starts in the great northern wastes of Canada, and we follow the carved toy through the wilderness and down in to the Great Lakes of the States. Along the way, we find out what the inside of a sawmill looked like and how Lake Superior resembles a wolf's head. Yes, a wolf's head.

If the kids want to have more read to them, tell them to go to sleep so you can read the book yourself in peace and quiet. It was sad to see yet another local bookstore leave us, but it brought me great happiness with my last purchase.

Book Season = Autumn ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |
Very old book, but a great "adventure" on the Great Lakes. I vaguely remember seeing a movie of it when I was in elementary school (I said it was old!). ( )
  sswright46168 | Aug 29, 2013 |
A young American Indian boy (no tribe indicated) carves a small canoe with a seated figure to paddle it and sends the two off on a journey from Lake Superior to the Atlantic Ocean. … This is the story of Paddle-to-the-Sea's many adventures over the four years it takes him to reach the sea. No information on American Indians in contained in the story.
John Henry Chapman with whose father I have paddled under, over, and through many a Great Lake wave.
The Canadian wilderness was white with snow.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0395292034, Paperback)

A young Indian boy carves a little canoe with a figure inside and names him Paddle-to-the-Sea. Paddle's journey, in text and pictures, through the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean provides an excellent geographic and historical picture of the region.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

A small canoe carved by an Indian boy makes a journey from Lake Superior all the way to the Atlantic Ocean.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,960,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible