Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Paddle-to-the-Sea (Sandpiper Books) by…

Paddle-to-the-Sea (Sandpiper Books) (original 1941; edition 1980)

by Holling C. Holling (Author)

A young Indian boy carves an Indian figure in a small canoe and sends him off on a long, adventurous journey through the Great Lakes to the sea.
Member:TammyRawson
Title:Paddle-to-the-Sea (Sandpiper Books)
Authors:Holling C. Holling (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (1980), Edition: Illustrated, 64 pages

Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling C. Holling (1941)

Minn of the Mississippi by Holling Clancy Holling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both are long Hollings childrens book, of epic voyages and interesting characters.

A carved Native American figurine-Paddle-to-the-Sea--makes his voyage from an Indian village through the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. Beautiful illustrations and great geography. A true living textbook. ( )
  Carr_Memorial_Lib | Aug 20, 2020 |
A young Indian boy carves a little canoe with a figure inside and names him Paddle-to-the-Sea. Paddle's journey, in text and pictures, through the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean provides an excellent geographic and historical picture of the region.
  riselibrary_CSUC | Jul 9, 2020 |
poor. front cover wear, water damage throughout book ( )
  lrenaj | Dec 5, 2019 |
I wasn’t sure what to think when I started this one. However, a couple of pages in, and I was hooked. Exploring the Great Lakes region with a floating toy was an amazing trip. This is definitely for older kids with the page of text and graphic on each spread. It may take a little convincing to get them to read the book, but it’s an enjoyable read with some great geography learning thrown in.
  coffeymuse | Sep 9, 2018 |
49 months - I really enjoyed reading this with my daughter. I was expecting it to be about a real person paddling the Great Lakes but this idea is much more creative. A great geography lesson and lots of other learning too. Great vocabulary about nature. It would be fantastic to have a newer version of this book with more vivid colors in the illustrations. The art style is very much Group of Seven-esque. A good story to introduce my little dual citizen to natural connection and resources the two countries share. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A young American Indian boy (no tribe indicated) carves a small canoe with a seated figure to paddle it and sends the two off on a journey from Lake Superior to the Atlantic Ocean. … This is the story of Paddle-to-the-Sea's many adventures over the four years it takes him to reach the sea. No information on American Indians in contained in the story.

John Henry Chapman with whose father I have paddled under, over, and through many a Great Lake wave.
The Canadian wilderness was white with snow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,553,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible