The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman

The Third Angel (2008)

by Alice Hoffman

Despite glowing reviews everywhere, I found this to be a fairly typical love story, or rather a trio of love stories. Each is centered at the Lion Park, a London hotel, and the characters in each story are somehow related to each other. The stories take place in 1999, 1966 and 1952 and each involves a woman who loves the wrong man. I enjoyed the stories well enough but this book just didn't have the indefinable "something special" that I expect from Alice Hoffman. I vastly preferred her more recent books The Dovekeepers, Blackbird House, and The Probable Future, among others. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
Three different stories that are interesting. A little harder to remember it is three different stories on audiobook especially if you are distracted when the stories switch. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I love Alice Hoffman's writing. I find her truly unique and I become completely...emotionally awake when I'm in her stories. However, I struggled with a rating for this book. It is made up of intertwining stories of people who mostly don't even know they are part of each otehr's stories - and it jumps through time. I found myself having to go back and untangle who was which, an unpleasant task (albeit easier in the Kindle version.) Things are explained but it takes a bit to realize what you've learned and unknot the path that led you there. I gave it 3 stars because I just can't discourage people from reading this author and you do get questions answered, just not in a linear fashion. ( )
  grammarchick | May 31, 2016 |
I love Alice Hoffman's writing. I find her truly unique and I become completely...emotionally awake when I'm in her stories. However, I struggled with a rating for this book. It is made up of intertwining stories of people who mostly don't even know they are part of each other's stories and it jumps through time. I found myself having to go back and untangle who was which, an unpleasant task (albeit easier in the Kindle version.) Things are explained but it takes a bit to realize what you've learned and unknot the path that led you there. I gave it 3 stars because I just can't discourage people from reading this author and you do get questions answered, just not in a linear fashion. ( )
  grammarchick | May 31, 2016 |
Another of those "all-nighters" for me.

The story moves backwards in time throughout 3 years of Lucy's life; 1999, 1966, 1952.

Much of the story takes place at the Green Lion hotel in England, close to Hyde Park and therein lies the ghost tale of the man in black, who is heard yelling each night at 10:30 in the hallway in front of room 707.

Lucy's life is interwoven with those of her father, stepmother, stepmother's sister, Teddy Healy (the man in the bar), Lucy's daughters, her soon to be in-laws, the hotel staff (one a doctor's daughter), the ghost, the bunny that lives in the hotel the enigmatic Blue Heron, and the Third Angel.

This is complex, lyrical, hauntingly beautiful yet sad tale of tragic love and the loss of faith in mankind. It has moved me into a semi dream state....

If anyone had told me that I'd be reading such a book, I wouldn't of believed them. I much prefer lighter "Happier" tales. I chose this book by the cover (ayup, I sure did) and the verso.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Madeline Heller knew she was reckless.

“Alice Hoffman is my favorite writer.”
–Jodi Picoult

Alice Hoffman is one of our most beloved writers. Here on Earth was an Oprah Book Club selection. Practical Magic and Aquamarine were both bestselling books and Hollywood movies. Her novels have received mention as notable books of the year by the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, the Los Angeles Times, and People magazine, and her short fiction and nonfiction have appeared in the New York Times, The Boston Globe Magazine, Kenyon Review, Redbook, Architectural Digest, Gourmet, and Self.

Now, in The Third Angel, Hoffman weaves a magical and stunningly original story that charts the lives of three women in love with the wrong men: Headstrong Madeleine Heller finds herself hopelessly attracted to her sister’s fiancé. Frieda Lewis, a doctor’s daughter and a runaway, becomes the muse of an ill-fated rock star. And beautiful Bryn Evans is set to marry an Englishman while secretly obsessed with her ex-husband. At the heart of the novel is Lucy Green, who blames herself for a tragic accident she witnessed at the age of twelve, and who spends four decades searching for the Third Angel–the angel on earth who will renew her faith.

Brilliantly evoking London’s King’s Road, Knightsbridge, and Kensington while moving effortlessly back in time, The Third Angel is a work of startling beauty about the unique, alchemical nature of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

The stories of three women all tied together by a London setting and an impending marriage.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible