Pandora: New Tales of the Vampires by Anne…

Pandora: New Tales of the Vampires (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Anne Rice

Member:amieFETT
Title:Pandora: New Tales of the Vampires
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Knopf (1998), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages

Pandora by Anne Rice (1998)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (40)
Amazon.com Review Anne Rice fans will greet Pandora: New Tales of the Vampires, the first of her new vampire chronicles, as hungrily as the Fang Gang facing a fresh new neck. Our heroine, Pandora, a senator's daughter in Augustus Caesar's day, flees to Antioch when her family gets killed and discovers the antidote to stern Roman rationalism in the occult wisdom of the East. "Something attacked my reason," Pandora writes. "The very thing the Roman Emperors had so feared in Egyptian cults and Oriental cults swept over me: mystery and emotion which claim a superiority to reason and law." Pandora gets her sexy vampire initiation at the fangs of handsome Marius (who later inducted Rice's famed vampire Lestat). Pandora tells how a nice Roman girl became a vampire in modern Paris, but mostly the book celebrates the sights and sounds (and philosophical bloodlettings) of the classical world. Pandora is more like Robert Graves's sublime Yet Pandora is a logical extension of Rice's work, and Pandora is a combination of her past vampire heroes and the nakedly, horrifyingly autobiographical heroine of Rice's 1997 novel Violin is remarkably messy, but it captures the volcanic passion that erupts in her best work--Rice calls it "a study in pain." Pandora is really a dramatized debate between passion and reason, which Pandora calls "male reason." She teases her vampire mentor: "Marius guarded his delicate rationality as a Vestal Virgin guards a sacred flame. If ever any ecstatic emotion took hold of me, he [would] tell me in no uncertain terms that it was irrational, irrational, irrational!" (To hear how close Pandora's voice is to her passionate creator, listen to the 1997 audiocassette Rice's research gives fresh blood to her storytelling. Even her chronic third-act problem scarcely slows down this brisk romp of a novel. Pandora has intellectual thirst as well as blood lust, and she conveys the high old time Rice obviously had imbibing historical lore. "It is fun to read these mad Gnostics!" exults Pandora in the early Christian era. It is also fun to read this mad Pandora. Anne Rice hasn't been this fun to read in years. From Publishers Weekly Although Rice bid goodbye to the vampire Lestat in Memnoch the Devil, her fifth novel in The Vampire Chronicles, she has not abandoned vampires altogether. Two installments are planned this year in her New Tales of the Vampires series, and in the first of these, the ancient vampire Pandora tells her story. Urged on by David Talbot?fledgling vampire, self-appointed chronicler and former psychic detective?Pandora documents in sophisticated detail her pre-vampire existence as the privileged daughter of a Roman senator. She's a curious character, first introduced in The Queen of the Damned, in which Marius described her as the Greek courtesan who seduced him into making her a vampire and helped him care for the vampire progenitors until strife forced them apart. Here, Pandora herself sets the record straight. Born early in Augustus's reign, the educated, spirited Pandora was no courtesan?though we do see her challenge the sexual mores of her moment. When Tiberius brings chaos to Rome, and dishonor and death to Pandora's family, she goes to Antioch and tries to solve the mystery of her compelling blood dreams about Egypt. There, she reunites with her childhood crush, Marius, and learns from him what it means to be a vampire. Along the way, we find little of Rice's trademark eroticism, but Pandora has long been one of her more elusive characters, so fans will relish this vivid rendering of her life and times. Random House audio.
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.

The novel opens in present-day Paris in a crowded café, where David meets Pandora. She is two thousand years old, a Child of the Millennia, the first vampire ever made by the great Marius. David persuades her to tell the story of her life.
**Look for Anne Rice’s new book, *Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis*, coming November 29, 2016.**
*From the Hardcover edition.*
  buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
I struggle to find the words to do justice to the artistry of this book... From the very beginning [b:Pandora|353503|Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, #1)|Anne Rice|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327199611s/353503.jpg|2926330] entralls the reader with rich details of the powerful, monstrous, yet also reverent and beautiful Pandora.

BloodPriestess | Mar 5, 2019 |
This book was rich with history, both of the vampire Pandora and of the world around her.

This was my first Anne Rice novel and I quote enjoyed it. I lived getting to see Pandora as a child and seeing her go from an outgoing, educated child, to a strong willed woman, to a vampire now recounting all that had happened to her leading up to her becoming a vampire.

Her beginnings were sad, though it was nice seeing her pull herself together and stand on her own once more. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I was right to read this after reading Blood and Gold and before Prince Lestat. You would think that reading the books where character's stories intertwine one after the other might become monotonous. But not with Anne Rice. Each character's point of view is always different than what you heard from another character. I liked this volume a lot because it was historical - like Marius', set in ancient Rome and Antioch. I also liked Pandora as a woman. And while I expected more to Pandora's story, such as her later life after her journey with Marius, what was revealed was great. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 29, 2016 |

Rice, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not twenty minutes have passed since you left me here in the café, since I said No to your request, that I would never write out for you the story of my mortal life, how I became a vampire-- how I came upon Marius only years after he had lost his human life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345422384, Mass Market Paperback)

Fans of the ever-popular vampire tales are treated to a journey through ancient Rome as they hear the story of Pandora, and how she became a blood drinker. The mellifluous voice of British actress Janet McTeer makes for a dreamlike telling of the first-person narrative which takes place in the days of Tiberius, Ovid, and an empire that is starting to turn in on itself. Listeners learn of the cunning and impassioned narrator's happy days of growing up in the house of her father, a respected Roman statesman, her forced escape to Antioch and her dreams and visions of an Egyptian queen that foretell her fate. As well as the tumble of violent and supernatural events that lead to her beloved Marius sinking his teeth into her beautiful neck. Pandora's box it now seems is a sarcophagus! While Rice's usual chill and suspense seem somewhat removed given the period setting, the author paints a particularly rich picture of daily life in the Roman empire through the characters' discourses on contemporary issues of the day, and their actions in response to real historical events. --Anne Depue (Running time: 3 hours; 2 cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

Anne Rice, creator of the Vampire Lestat, the Mayfair witches and the amazing worlds they inhabit, now gives us the first in a new series of novels linked together by the fledgling vampire David Talbot, who has set out to become a chronicler of his fellow Undead. The novel opens in present-day Paris in a crowded caf,e where David meets Pandora. She is two thousand years old, a Child of the Millennia, the first vampire ever made by the great Marius. David persuades her to tell the story of her life. Pandora begins, reluctantly at first and then with increasing passion, to recount her mesmerizing tale, which takes us through the ages, from Imperial Rome to eighteenth-century France to twentieth-century Paris and New Orleans. She carries us back to her mortal girlhood in the world of Caesar Augustus, a world chronicled by Ovid and Petronius. This is where Pandora meets and falls in love with the handsome, charismatic, lighthearted, still-mortal Marius. This is the Rome she is forced to flee in fear of assassination by conspirators plotting to take over the city. And we follow her to the exotic port of Antioch, where she is destined to be reunited with Marius, now immortal and haunted by his vampire nature, who will bestow on her the Dark Gift as they set out on the fraught and fantastic adventure of their two turbulent centuries together.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,757,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible