Underground by Kat Richardson

Blaine died for two minutes and came back with the ability to see into a dimension called the "Grey". In it she can see ghost, vampires, lines of power and things that go bump in the night. Being a PI means that some of these 'things' ask her for help or let he help where others cannot. Around Pioneer Square in Seattle parts of bodies and bodies without parts begin showing up. The problem is that the parts that are missing look like they've been chewed off and there's little blood. Also some new types of Zombies are showing up in the area. Got that. Shocking revelations, intense suspense, unique paranormal characters, and a mystery that keeps you guessing gives this urban fantasy more than its share of fun thrills. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I'm glad Harper is rid of Will. Quinton as a 'love' interest is a twist that makes more sense. I look forward to finding out how Kat progresses with this series. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I didn't like this one as much as the first two in the series. It wasn't the writing, it was the story line. I guess I don't like monsters as much as ghosts and vampires. ( )
  kmmsb459 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I am not a fan of the Sookie Stackhouse books or Anita Blake, but the Harper Blaine books I love. I find her to be likeable and far more real. I also appreciate that the romance aspect is more in the background. ( )
  GeekGirlM | Dec 8, 2015 |
Richardson continues to offer excellent and creative urban fantasy. This installment delves further into Seattle's strange-yet-factual history, including using part of the underground part of the old city as its setting for Native American monsters and zombies.

When the downtown burned in 1889, the decision was made to raise the streets above the high tide mark and construct the new buildings out of non-flammable materials. For a while, sidewalks were on the old city level as the new streets were filled in and constructed. This is where much of the homeless population lives in this book, and they are being eaten and occasionally reanimated as ambulatory corpses. Fun for all involved.

We also get more information on Quinton, who continues to be an excellent character successfully breaking conventional molds of masculinity by trusting Harper to handle herself. And she does, without pulling a TSTL (too stupid to live).

I have an admitted soft spot for Ben's role in this novel, as his linguistic knowledge is put to crucial use. But then, most humanities scholars I know want to believe that what we do is important and practical. We make good cases for it, in fact; but I do like seeing things like fluency in multiple languages being a tool for fighting evil.

As in earlier books, Richardson continues to explore the effects of power in human hands, drawing on the UF genre convention that mundane every day humans are perfectly capable of being far more monstrous than the more visible monsters (shall we say differently human?).

I still like her incorporation, or reliance on, general physics for her principles of magic use. Like the Dresden Files, there are rules that govern magic as a force that also limit how fast something can heat up, or how the force to move something is generated; equal and opposite reaction and all that. I feel like Richardson draws more heavily on physics than Butcher does, however, and find myself interested in her innovation of and deviance from those physics.

In all, an excellent book that fully lives up to the promise of the first two. It is macabre, gothic, funny, smart and creatively epic. Still loving Richardson. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
For Jim, for everything. And in memory of Jay Mezo: "Everything's better with bacon!"
If ghosts and monsters had someone else to harrass, my life would have been a lot quieter, like it was before I died.
Not related to London's Underground tube system. (Well, there a few scenes set in underground, just not in London.)

Mix of dark fantasy and detective noir. Seattle's homeless are being killed and eaten by a monster in Seattle's underground city. Harper Blaine and her friend Quinton investigate.

In the cold of winter, Pioneer Square's homeless are being butchered, and zombies have been seen roaming the streets of the underground city buried beneath modern Seattle. Greywalker H arper Blaine is asked to investigate by her friend Quinton, who fears he may be implicated in the deaths. They soon discover that someone has unleashed a monster of ancient legend- and H arper must deal with both the living and the dead to find the creature and put a stop to it...unless it stops her first.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

A Greywalker with the ability to negotiate the shadowy realm between the living world and the paranormal, private detective Harper Blaine investigates the appearance of zombies roaming the underground beneath Seattle.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,517,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible