One Hundred Demons by Lynda Barry

One Hundred Demons

by Lynda Barry

6202115,695 (4.39)10

Lynda Barry is brilliant. So is this book. Hard hitting and deeply moving. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Awesome, thought-provoking, nostalgia-making book. Longer review later. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
I think I would like this more had I not also read The Diary of a Teenage Girl, Fun Home, and Persepolis of late; I think I'm done with semiautobiographical female comics memoir for the time being. I'm not saying One Hundred Demons is like the others completely-- it has a sense of humor that none of those books do-- but after reading them (not to mention American Splendor, Jimmy Corrigan, and Ghost World), I get it. The literary establishment likes its comics to be literary memoirs of tortured people. Now can we do something else? Why don't we like literary fiction at least? Thankfully Barry is less tortured than most. (Though in the seminar I read this in, at least one person criticized Barry for not being tortured enough. She demanded to know why race was more explicitly discussed. Maybe because nonwhite writers are allowed to write about things other than their own nonwhiteness?)
  Stevil2001 | May 27, 2012 |
Lynda Barry is amazing. She captures the poignancy and pain of youth and awkwardness with incredible clarity and pathos. And the pix are amazing, too.
  mochap | Jun 8, 2011 |
Is it autobiography if parts of it are not true?

Buddhism teaches that each person must overcome 100 demons in a lifetime. In this collection of 20 comic strips, Lynda Barry wrestles with some of hers in her signature quirky, irrepressible voice. Color illustrations throughout.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible