dismiss

The New Food Lover's Companion

by Sharon Tyler Herbst, Ron Herbst (Author)

The brand-new fourth edition of this widely praised reference guide has been updated with new information for everyone, including lovers of ethnic foods and health food aficionados. The authors have added many all-new entries on exotic produce and other unusual ingredients. An earlier edition of The New Food Lover's Companion was hailed by Bon App©tit magazine as "one of the best reference books we've seen, a must for every cook's library." This new edition has even more to offer! Among the myriad foods and culinary subjects defined and explained are cooking tools and techniques, meat cuts, breads, pastas, international foods, cheeses, eggs and omelets, herbs and spices, fruits and vegetables, candies and desserts, wines and cocktails, and literally everything else related to good food and enjoyable dining. Handy and helpful appendices cover a wide range of food-related topics. They include suggestions for substituting recipe ingredients, high-altitude baking adjustments, a microwave oven conversion chart, recommended safe cooking temperatures for various meats and fish, a guide to reading food package labels, seasoning suggestions to enhance favorite dishes, a food additives directory, and much more. The New Food Lover's Companion is a reference guide--not a cookbook--but it includes hundreds of cooking tips plus an extensive bibliography of recommended cookbooks and other food-related literature. Here in one volume is an invaluable companion for cooks--and for everybody else who loves good food. More than 6,700 entries plus line art that shows retail cuts of lamb, pork, beef, and veal.… (more)

Read on Staycation at Folly Beach.
  bookczuk | Feb 22, 2020 |
For what it claims to be it cover "terms" plus added info quite well. ( )
  Newmans2001 | Oct 25, 2019 |
Well, I haven't read every word yet. I'm working my way through and learning a lot, and looking things up every now and then. If you don't already have a degree from the Cordon Bleu or the CIA, you probably can use this book to find out about unusual ingredients (and even learn new things about common foods.) Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Aug 31, 2013 |
One of my personal books that I keep at my office. Great for trying to figure out the difference between Salsa, Chutney, Raita, and Relish.
I think it is still missing some stuff. But then again I get odd questions. ( )
  gingerzing | Jul 10, 2008 |

Sharon Tyler Herbstprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herbst, RonAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,177,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible