Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco

Christmas Tapestry (edition 2008)

by Patricia Polacco

Member:mrskatieparker
Title:Christmas Tapestry
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Info:Puffin (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Read and owned
Tags:*read*, *christmas_2012*, christmas, detroit, michigan, connections, fiction, holocaust, jews, jewish, nazis, miracles, church, religion, spirituality, cause, advent, tapestry, weaving, picture_book

Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco

Recently added byNVCCCDC, JudyRipke, private library, MarilynCarpenter, DianNoE, tmpoole, thedarileks, MSGL, tpipkin04

Jonathan Jefferson Weeks was one unhappy boy: uprooted from his home in Memphis, he had moved, together with his Baptist minister father, and the rest of the family, to Detroit. His father's new church was old and dilapidated, with few people attending services, and the parsonage was right next door, allowing everyone in the neighborhood to identify Jonathan as a PK (preacher's kid). Why, he wondered, had they come here? What purpose could it serve, and what meaning did it have? Pitching in, despite his questions, Jonathan helped in the family and community effort to restore the church, looking forward to the day of the Christmas pageant. But when a blizzard left the church's sacristy wall, where a beautiful wall painting had been commissioned, terribly damaged, all of Jonathan's doubts came flooding back. If God truly did have a purpose, in bringing the Weeks to Detroit, why had he sent the blizzard? The answer to that question, for Jonathan, came in a most unexpected way, with the beautifully embroidered cloth he and his father bought, to cover the damaged wall, and the miraculous reunion it brought about, between two people cruelly parted, years before...

As is so often the case with Patricia Polacco's books, I found myself weeping, while reading Christmas Tapestry, which so perfectly captured so many ideas and feelings that were central to my own childhood. Like Jonathan, I too was a "PK," and well do I remember that feeling of being set apart, of feeling peculiarly watched, and judged, by the community. I also remember the earnest questions about the Divine which I directed to my father, who, like Rev. Weeks, did his best to answer and comfort me. Familiar, too, was the involvement here, not just with the church congregation, but the wider community (my father having served on many ecumenical councils).

In short, this was a book that spoke to me on a very personal level. But it was also a book that told a very moving story, in its own right, about two Holocaust survivors who find one another, after many years, through the intervention of the Weeks, and their church. I was reminded of a different reunion - that between Charlie and his long-lost lady love, in Sydney Taylor's All-of-a-Kind Family - and the association was a welcome one. I think that, even for readers who don't believe that there is any such thing as God, or a divine force guiding events, this would be a moving story. After all, we don't need to share the beliefs of others, to be moved by how they give them meaning, strength and joy. And that, in the end, is the special genius of this book: Patricia Polacco has brilliantly captured how faith does give joy, and how generosity and community, even with people of different faiths, is particularly appropriate at Christmas. Just a joy to read! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 15, 2013 |
A boy and his family move from Memphis to Detroit. His dad is a pastor at a new church and the tapestry is stolen and they buy another one. The tapestry they buy has historical significance because an old lady who lives in the community made it years ago. ( )
  Gabe77 | Feb 26, 2012 |
This is a very touching story of providential reunion following decades of separation. The story leads slowly and almost unnoticed up toward a dawning realization and then a both stunning and magnificent climax. Just passing by it here, I had to stop and leave a quick review. While most of my best books get 5 stars, this one gets 6. Well, maybe not quite 6, but no less than 5.5! ( )
  NathanaelS | May 28, 2010 |
When a leak causes some damage to the church. The family finds a tapestry to cover the damage. The family later finds out more about the tapestry and experience a Chirstmas miracle. ( )
  mjhartley | Nov 21, 2009 |

When a bad leak ruins the sacristy wall in his father's church, Jonathan Jefferson Weeks thinks his family's first Christmas Eve service in Detroit will be ruined, too. But then he and his father find a beautiful tapestry for sale in a secondhand shop. Just the thing to cover the damaged wall and give the church a festive look! But then, amazingly, an old Jewish woman who is visiting the church recognizes the beautiful cloth. It is her discovery that leads to a real miracle on Christmas Eve.

This timely tale of love and generosity between people of different religious faiths is a wonderful showcase for Polacco's art. It features snowy holiday scenes and a colorful tapestry that is almost a character in itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:48 -0400)

A tapestry that is being used to cover a hole in a church wall at Christmas brings together an elderly couple who were separated during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible