Mr. Lincoln's Way by Patricia Polacco

Mr. Lincoln's Way (edition 2001)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:Vue
Title:Mr. Lincoln's Way
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2001), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:realistic fiction

Mr. Lincoln's Way by Patricia Polacco

In my opinion, I love Patricia Polacco. Her use of language really reaches me as a reader. There is always a problem with a calm person figuring it out. In this book the plot is about a young boy who is troubled. He is always bullying everyone in the school. It’s Mr. Lincoln to the rescue trying to help this troubled 5th grader. The point of view is in third person. The outside view really gives you an honest feel for how Mr. Lincoln really is. Even in the beginning the narrator says “Mr. Lincoln was the coolest principal” and “everyone thought so”. I feel as though if the book was through Mr. Lincolns eyes you wouldn’t get to see how really “cool” Mr. Lincoln is. His writing gets real serious in this book. Even when Mr. Lincoln begins to help this boy out, the boy’s father says that he shouldn’t talk to Mr. Lincoln, “He’s not our kind”. That’s real writing. I feel as though it’s hard to put racism in books because it’s an “unhappy” topic but the way Polacco does it really works well. The illustrations are awesome. The illustrator uses watercolors with no straight lines that blend together and I really enjoyed them. The illustrations enhance the writing by always giving a little more that the reader can infer about what is happening. For example, when Mr. Lincoln is helping the young boy, you can see the facial expressions that show that truly this boy isn’t mad but almost sad. The plot was well organized with many problems being revealed to Mr. Lincoln about this boy “Mean Eugene”. I believe the big idea is that there is no reason to be a mad person and I think the author does a great job with the use of a character like Mr. Lincoln, a patient, loving human being.
  JordanMyers | Nov 19, 2014 |
Mr. Lincoln is a principal who really cares. This story literally brought tears to my eyes because of the perseverance of Mr. Lincoln in helping a troubled child. I wish all principals and teachers would read this book and take it to heart. ( )
  mosbor | Sep 29, 2014 |
This books shows that some bully's just need some attention. Find a child's interest to help avoid bully or show them connections on how they relate to others. Not only do children bully because of their own insecurities, it could be a problem at home. Great book, really enjoyed.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Mr. Lincoln's Way is about a boy in school who bullies anyone who is different them him. Mr. Lincoln tries to connect with this boy by making him see that it is important to give people a chance. We should embrace our differences and never judge someone by the way they look. I liked how this book used birds as looking different just like humans. I would read this to 2-4 grades. ( )
  aloupe | Apr 20, 2014 |
Summary- Mr. Lincoln, a black principle at a culturally diverse school, has a child who is bullying others, especially about race. The child loves birds and Mr. Lincoln uses the birds to show how beautiful diversity can be.

Personal Reaction- I think a lot of children can relate to this in some form or another. Sometimes being different can be scary. We often fear what we don't understand or what is foreign. Many children learn prejudices that they may not fully understand because they are influenced by parents or others. Mr. Lincoln didn't tell the boy that he or his parents were wrong, but instead used what the boy was interested in to let him decide for himself.

Extensions-
1)Discuss racism and why its wrong.
2) Everyone colors a different bird and then hang all the birds up together to display.
  megblack | Mar 26, 2014 |
"Mr. Lincoln's Way" is a great resource to integrate multiculturalism in the classroom. It would be especially useful during Black History Month. It has a great lesson about judgement.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Mr. Lincoln was the coolest principal in the whole world, or so his students thought.

Mr. Lincoln is the coolest principal ever! He knows how to do everything, from jumping rope to leading nature walks. Everyone loves him . . . except for Eugene Esterhause. "Mean Gene" hates everyone who's different. He's a bully, a bad student, and he calls people awful, racist names. But Mr. Lincoln knows that Eugene isn't really bad-he's just repeating things he's heard at home. Can the principal find a way to get through to "Mean Gene" and show him that the differences between people are what make them special?

With Patricia Polacco's trademark illustrations and gentle text, Mr. Lincoln's Way celebrates the unforgettable school principal who touches the lives of his students and truly empowers them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:44 -0400)

When Mr. Lincoln, "the coolest principal in the whole world," discovers that Eugene, the school bully, knows a lot about birds, he uses this interest to help Eugene overcome his intolerance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible