Kris Longknife: Intrepid by Mike Shepherd

Kris Longknife: Intrepid (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Mike Shepherd

Member:JaredMcLaine
Title:Kris Longknife: Intrepid
Authors:Mike Shepherd
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Science-Fiction

Kris Longknife: Intrepid by Mike Shepherd (2008)

Really enjoyed the ground based battle that comprised the first 2/3rds of the book then the space based battle was "meh".

I think I enjoyed this more because Kris wasn't whining every 3 seconds about either her lack of boobs, her "hatred" of all things political or her lack of romance.

This was more action and less emotion. I liked it. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's always trouble wherever she goes. This time she ends up saving a planet and an enemy making an unexpected friend in the process. ( )
  gregandlarry | Apr 7, 2010 |
An interesting variation. Kris as military officer is better than Kris as Princess. I was going to say also that she shines in space, but she actually spends a good deal of the book fighting a land war - even a primitive land war. And gets - not exactly a new enemy but a refreshed one, then afterwards eases matters between her and one old enemy, and makes sort of friends with another. Complications, of a slightly different sort than her usual! Three - no, four planets' worth of problems, of widely varying sorts - from invasion to legal problems. Some notable character development - in Kris, Nelly, Vicky, Col. Cortez… a lot of people. There is a lot going on in this book, but it all makes sense in the reading. Very rich. I suspect I shouldn't read Longknife stories in quick succession - this one was less interesting at the start than Audacious, and I reviewed Audacious as boring and stereotyped after reading the whole series up to it. This one did lure me in by the end - and the last line got a genuine LOL from me. OK, interested in the next one again. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 30, 2009 |
This is the Sixth Book in the Kris Longknife series that I’ve read, and overall I found this one somewhat harder to follow than the others.

The characters seem less well defined in this installment, perhaps that’s because the Author is settled in to his stride with these individuals now, and doesn’t feel the need to describe them as well as in previous installments, but the ultimate effect is that you need to read this volume more or less directly after one or more of it’s predecessors in order to keep up with the action which starts pretty much straight away.

Shepherd doesn’t seem to have quite the same flair for Military style Scifi as Elizabeth Moon or David Webber, but he does a passable job describing the combat, strategy and tactics. On occasion the writing would have benefited from a more descriptive style, at least enough to give your imagination something to fire on. He does also degenerate in to acronyms all too easily, and only occasionally remembers to explain himself a few pages or paragraphs further on.

It takes until the last quarter of the book for Shepherd to develop the overall point of the novel in the series, (which I won’t give away here), but this kind of distances this volume from it’s predecessors. I rather suspect that he wrapped up most of his planned threads in the fifth volume of this series, and this is very much a bridge in to some new ideas which will give the overall storyline great boost in to the next novel in the series. ( )
  jc74 | Jan 4, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016510, Mass Market Paperback)

Kris Longknife has been assigned to The Wasp, the best warship beyond the Rim of Human Space. But while hunting for pirates, Kris stumbles upon something. It’s a plan to kill one of the members of the aristocratic Peterwald family—and the would-be killers are setting her up as the assassin.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:13 -0400)

"Kris Longknife has been assigned to The Wasp, the best warship beyond the Rim of Human Space. But while hunting for pirates, Kris stumbles upon something. Its a plan to kill one of the members of the aristocratic Peterwald family - and the would-be killers are setting her up as the assassin."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,242,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible