The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid

The Mermaids Singing (1995)

by Val McDermid

Series: Tony Hill/Carol Jordan (1)

English (55)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
Bello, particolare, mi ha tenuto incollata fino all'ultima pagina. Consigliato. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
I think this is the first book in the series with Inspector Carol Jordan and Tony Hill, a psychologist experienced in working with serial murders. In this book, a serial killer is at work and Hill is called in to help the police find the killer. Bodies are found naked and horribly tortured. The killer has some expertise in using torture machines such as the rack. Some think the victims are all gay and so they aren't that sympathetic until a police officer if killed. The mystery was good, but I didn't really relate to either Jordan or Hill and I thought too much was made of their attraction to each other to the point that when Hill is kidnapped, Jordan ignores his absence as she is jealous and thinks he might just be with a girlfriend. It just seemed too gruesome.
  taurus27 | Mar 28, 2019 |
A holiday read. I've previously read the next book in this series, so no surprises on who is going to survive and who is not. Again, my own fault, this. As well as the next, I liked the book, Somewhat introductory regarding the main characters, but not too much to be a sole introduction. Quite graphic on the torture description, sometimes even too much so, and coming from me thatt's a lot! I find the subject interesting as such, but the way the delight on others' suffering is described is somewhat disturbing. References to computers date the book quite a bit. All in all, a good read. ( )
  Iira | Jan 11, 2019 |
Interesting, absorbing, but very, very graphic violence and very depressing. No redeeming social value, as the saying goes. I tried the second book in the series, but I just couldn't make myself go through all that again. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
So many things annoyed me here! The leads are bland, there are a bunch of tedious torture scenes, the female journalist gets her tips by sleeping with sources, unpleasant stereotypes of gay men abound, and there's the horrid evil transperson trope.

McDermid makes a number of references to The Silence of the Lambs, which is really unfortunate because they only reminded me how much better Silence is. ( )
1 vote amanda4242 | Jun 16, 2018 |

McDermid, Valprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allvee, MarekKujundaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

T.S. Eliot
The soul of torture is male.

Comment on exhibit card

The Museum of Criminology and Torture, San Gimignano, Italy.
For Tookie Flystock, my beloved serial insect killer.
From 3 1/2" disc labelled: Backup.007; file Love.001

You always remember the first time.
Do not combine with the video TV series; different works.

You always remember the first time. Isn't that what they say about sex? How much more true it is of murder! Up till now, the only serial killers Tony Hill had encountered were safely behind bars. This one's different -- this one's on the loose. In the northern town of Bradfield four men have been found mutilated and tortured. Fear grips the city; no man feels safe. Clinical psychologist Tony Hill is brought in to profile the killer. A man with more than enough sexual problems of his own, Tony himself becomes the unsuspecting target in a battle of wits and wills where he has to use every ounce of his professional nerve to survive.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983603, Mass Market Paperback)

This sadistic, twisted yet intriguingly ingenious thriller garnered Val McDermid Britain's top crime-fiction award, the Gold Dagger, which only proves it's not as genteel a nation as we've been led to believe. The Mermaids Singing follows a killer who thrives on finding ever more inventive ways to seduce and torture sexually confused young men and records their death struggles digitally to market them as interactive home movies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

When the fourth victim of a twisted serial killer is found, Detective Inspector Carol Jordan teams up with criminologist Tony Hill to develop a complicated criminal profile, the accuracy of which becomes pivotal to the case.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,452,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible