The Mermaid Singing by Val McDermid

The Mermaid Singing (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Val McDermid, Graham Roberts (Narrator)

Member:bergg
Title:The Mermaid Singing
Authors:Val McDermid
Other authors:Graham Roberts (Narrator)
Info:ISIS Audio Books (1999), Audio CD
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Tags:suspense, policier, meurtres en série, série Carol Jordan & Toni Hill, doublon

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (1999)

English (37)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (44)
I don't like books whose titles have no discernible connection to the book. Why? Because I cannot believe it! And that leaves me to think I missed some key piece.

I bought this book because of McDermid's book, _Forensics_. I read reviews about _Mermais_ on Amazon, so I was not shocked at the graphic descriptions. It reminded me of reading _The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich_...the juvenile feeling of titillation reading of the Nazi experiments that happened in the camps. Or, more to the point, reading graphic descriptions of the bizarre Christian (Christian?) Inquisition. Only we don't call it that. We distance ourselves from it by calling it the "Spanish Inquisition."

Oh well, I thought I had found a new series to read. This is the first in the Tony Hill, Carol Jordon series. ( )
  kaulsu | Jan 30, 2016 |
After finishing Mapp and Lucia a while back, I felt in need of murder and mayhem. I can't say I've ever felt that before; I don't remember ever hating one book's characters enough to want to go read graphic descriptions of a serial killer's work. Although the demographic being murdered in The Mermaids Singing was completely different from that I had a wished death on in M&L, it still hit the spot.

That sounds a bit twisted, doesn't it…

It hit the spot surprisingly well, in fact. Maybe I've watched too much "Criminal Minds" and "Walking Dead" and so on over the years (and Wire in the Blood); maybe I've become jaded. Because this was beyond all doubt graphic. I usually do avoid this subsection of the genre, but back when Netflix still included streaming video with all subscriptions I stumbled on and became a huge fan of "The Wire in the Blood", and being as this is what that was based on, I wanted more of Tony Hill and Carol Jordan.

And that's exactly what I got. As it turns out, the first episode of the TV series was a remarkably faithful adaptation of this first book. Happily, I saw it long enough ago that details had faded, and my memory is bad enough that the end wasn't spoiled.

This isn't one of the sporting class of murder mysteries, where the clues are planted throughout the story for the clever and attentive reader to pick up and put together. This is pure procedural, with the coppers both dreading and hoping for the next victim of the serial killer on the loose: dreading, for obvious reasons, and anticipating in hopes that with a new body will come more data toward finding the killer. Intercut with the personal and professional lives of Tony Hill and Carol Jordan and their colleagues are journal entries from the killer, shadowing the timeline without giving away any real detail about the killer except how contact was made with the victims.

But it all really comes down to those two, Tony Hill and Carol Jordan. They're terrific characters. I don't know that I'm quite jaded enough to pursue the book series - but it's good to know it's out there. ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 24, 2016 |
This was a well written mystery with a great cast of characters that was gripping from the opening line. The chapters alternate between the point of view of the killer and the official investigation which keeps the pages turning until the very end. Even though the murders scenes were very graphic, I do look forward to reading the 2nd book in this series. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Very dark, and although I liked the main characters I'm not sure I want to continue with the series if the violence is at the same level as this. I did however guess the murderer quite early, although not the exact denouement. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Sep 24, 2015 |
Absolutely brilliant. Not for the squeamish but brilliantly inventive, feels authentic and has characters with depth and complexity. I will read the entire series now. ( )
  Chas.Newport | Jul 28, 2015 |

Val McDermidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

T.S. Eliot
The soul of torture is male.

Comment on exhibit card

The Museum of Criminology and Torture, San Gimignano, Italy.
For Tookie Flystock, my beloved serial insect killer.
From 3 1/2" disc labelled: Backup.007; file Love.001

You always remember the first time.
Do not combine with the video TV series; different works.

You always remember the first time. Isn't that what they say about sex? How much more true it is of murder! Up till now, the only serial killers Tony Hill had encountered were safely behind bars. This one's different -- this one's on the loose. In the northern town of Bradfield four men have been found mutilated and tortured. Fear grips the city; no man feels safe. Clinical psychologist Tony Hill is brought in to profile the killer. A man with more than enough sexual problems of his own, Tony himself becomes the unsuspecting target in a battle of wits and wills where he has to use every ounce of his professional nerve to survive.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983603, Mass Market Paperback)

This sadistic, twisted yet intriguingly ingenious thriller garnered Val McDermid Britain's top crime-fiction award, the Gold Dagger, which only proves it's not as genteel a nation as we've been led to believe. The Mermaids Singing follows a killer who thrives on finding ever more inventive ways to seduce and torture sexually confused young men and records their death struggles digitally to market them as interactive home movies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

When the fourth victim of a twisted serial killer is found, Detective Inspector Carol Jordan teams up with criminologist Tony Hill to develop a complicated criminal profile, the accuracy of which becomes pivotal to the case.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,244,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible