The Mermaid Singing by Val McDermid

The Mermaid Singing (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Val McDermid, Graham Roberts (Narrator)

Title:The Mermaid Singing
Authors:Val McDermid
Other authors:Graham Roberts (Narrator)
Info:ISIS Audio Books (1999), Audio CD
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Tags:suspense, policier, meurtres en série, série Carol Jordan & Toni Hill, doublon

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (1999)

English (43)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
I came to this one after reading the most recent book in the series, and I was disappointed. It was a slog, and frankly, overly creepy, which I suppose was to make it more popular. The author really seemed to be finding her way with this one. I found it repetitive, and was disappointed the book seemed to go out of its way to make the two main characters odd and unsympathetic, and their relationship the same. I didn't buy the setup where Jordan was supposed to be so instantly attracted to Hill, nor his impotence, nor really any of that early relationship.

It's interesting to me that the series gets so much better later when she grows more comfortable with her characters, and can speak about them almost in shorthand. For a book that's supposed to revolve around a police-profiler relationship, the author seems unsure how to write about human relationships. I would advise skipping this one, and instead reading her later work, which is so much better. ( )
  Laura400 | Oct 10, 2016 |
This is again a book I like.
Quite a common plot serial killer at large, police do not acknowledge that it's a serial killer. They do not want to work with a profiler.

Nevertheless this still was in interesting read, not in the least because of the in-between text where the murderer was giving his thoughts on the actions, although it was after the fact.

Interesting to learn if there are more thrillers with Tony Hill as one of the main characters. And if there are,to follow Carol Jordan and him in the development of their (working?) relationship. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 5, 2016 |
Meh. Written in 1995, this actually reads dated. Also, there is a lot of explaining things - mostly Hill explaining to Jordan - which read a bit like a lecture. Not a fan of the gory / torture parts, and it did not help that the book starts with some pretty gruesome descriptions. ( )
1 vote BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
4.25 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Mermaids Singing is the first in Val McDermid’s Tony Hill & Carol Jordan series. It is a taught, well-written psychological thriller, which was actually turned into an excellent British crime drama in 2002. I highly recommend McDermid’s series to fans of exceptional crime fiction. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jun 19, 2016 |

Val McDermidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

T.S. Eliot
The soul of torture is male.

Comment on exhibit card

The Museum of Criminology and Torture, San Gimignano, Italy.
For Tookie Flystock, my beloved serial insect killer.
From 3 1/2" disc labelled: Backup.007; file Love.001

You always remember the first time.
Do not combine with the video TV series; different works.

You always remember the first time. Isn't that what they say about sex? How much more true it is of murder! Up till now, the only serial killers Tony Hill had encountered were safely behind bars. This one's different -- this one's on the loose. In the northern town of Bradfield four men have been found mutilated and tortured. Fear grips the city; no man feels safe. Clinical psychologist Tony Hill is brought in to profile the killer. A man with more than enough sexual problems of his own, Tony himself becomes the unsuspecting target in a battle of wits and wills where he has to use every ounce of his professional nerve to survive.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983603, Mass Market Paperback)

This sadistic, twisted yet intriguingly ingenious thriller garnered Val McDermid Britain's top crime-fiction award, the Gold Dagger, which only proves it's not as genteel a nation as we've been led to believe. The Mermaids Singing follows a killer who thrives on finding ever more inventive ways to seduce and torture sexually confused young men and records their death struggles digitally to market them as interactive home movies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

When the fourth victim of a twisted serial killer is found, Detective Inspector Carol Jordan teams up with criminologist Tony Hill to develop a complicated criminal profile, the accuracy of which becomes pivotal to the case.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,762,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible