The Mermaid Singing by Val McDermid

The Mermaid Singing (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Val McDermid, Graham Roberts (Narrator)

1,205406,646 (3.79)56
Member:bergg
Title:The Mermaid Singing
Authors:Val McDermid
Other authors:Graham Roberts (Narrator)
Info:ISIS Audio Books (1999), Audio CD
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Tags:suspense, policier, meurtres en série, série Carol Jordan & Toni Hill, doublon

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (1999)

English (33)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (40)
Very gruesome to the point of being hard to listen to. ( )
  velopunk | Sep 23, 2014 |
If your only exposure to Tony Hill and Carol Jordan is through "Wire in the Blood," you should take the time to read the books from which the series was created. The characters, including the various murderers, are far more complex and nuanced than is possible to show on TV. The violence and sex is more explicit but the depth of character development makes the journey worth it. ( )
  Vantine | Mar 14, 2014 |
Can't go wrong with Prof Tony Hill & this is a great entry to the series. Donating as clearing bookshelves for move. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
Good but not great. Although there were many factors against the book as I read it. Well, one large one. I had already read a later book in this series and it gave away just enough details for it to make it much simpler for me to guess the criminal players in the book. I found the murderer very early - although I still very much enjoyed the ride of the writing until the end - so that is definately a plus in the author's favor. A serial killer is seeming to kill gay men in a ritualistic and tortured way. The police decide to bring in a profiler to help them track the killer down - thus launching the continuing partnership of Carol Jordan and Dr. Tony Hill. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
I thought this book was very interesting in how it explored the issues of police homophobia and how this could alter the manner in which the police approached a crime. Some reviews have criticised the violence in the torture scenes, but I did not find it over the top. ( )
  martensgirl | Oct 6, 2013 |
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

T.S. Eliot
The soul of torture is male.

Comment on exhibit card

The Museum of Criminology and Torture, San Gimignano, Italy.
For Tookie Flystock, my beloved serial insect killer.
From 3 1/2" disc labelled: Backup.007; file Love.001

You always remember the first time.

You always remember the first time. Isn't that what they say about sex? How much more true it is of murder! Up till now, the only serial killers Tony Hill had encountered were safely behind bars. This one's different -- this one's on the loose. In the northern town of Bradfield four men have been found mutilated and tortured. Fear grips the city; no man feels safe. Clinical psychologist Tony Hill is brought in to profile the killer. A man with more than enough sexual problems of his own, Tony himself becomes the unsuspecting target in a battle of wits and wills where he has to use every ounce of his professional nerve to survive.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312983603, Mass Market Paperback)

This sadistic, twisted yet intriguingly ingenious thriller garnered Val McDermid Britain's top crime-fiction award, the Gold Dagger, which only proves it's not as genteel a nation as we've been led to believe. The Mermaids Singing follows a killer who thrives on finding ever more inventive ways to seduce and torture sexually confused young men and records their death struggles digitally to market them as interactive home movies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

When the fourth victim of a twisted serial killer is found, Detective Inspector Carol Jordan teams up with criminologist Tony Hill to develop a complicated criminal profile, the accuracy of which becomes pivotal to the case.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,040,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible