Winter Wood by Steve Augarde

Winter Wood (2008)

by Steve Augarde

Took me a few pages to get into, as it has been so long since I read the first two (The Various and Celandine), but it was wonderful - sustains the same magic as the previous books, and brings it all to a satisfying conclusion.

"I was upon this earth before, though never in this place." (p. 53) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
a fine ending to a YA trilogy. ( )
  purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |
While not a bad novel in its own right, Winter Wood was something of a disappointment as a conclusion for the Various trilogy.

It really seemed to lack the excitement, conflict, mystery, and even plain old humor of the first two novels. For me, both The Various, and Celandine felt very original and imaginative. However, this installment relies mainly on the inventiveness of the previous books -- even rehashing the same romance and villain.

In the end, the whole thing was a bit... deus ex machina for me. Things just happened for Midge and the Various, without any real effort on their part. I mean, sure, it is magic, but it ruins the mystery-solving element of the story.

Also, I must say, the Howards have a very different family dynamic than I do, obviously. The thing that bothered me more than anything else in the story was wondering how they lost track of Celandine. Celandine's involvement of the story was a nice surprise, but so unexpected because it was so unrealistic.

Sort of like the grand reveal at the novel's end. It just didn't really fit, and the characters knew it didn't fit, and like me they were just sort of told, "Oh, well. It's magic." ( )
1 vote | Mar 17, 2010 | edit |
The final part of the trilogy that began with 'The Various', this weaves together Midge and Celandine's worlds, brings the Various, now suffering through a bitter winter that strains their limited resources to the breaking point, back into both their lives, and gives resolution to the Various's time in our world. A refreshingly different fantasy, brought to a satisfactory, though poignant, conclusion. ( )
  phoebesmum | Nov 30, 2009 |
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

In book three of THE TOUCHSTONE TRILOGY, hard times have come upon the Various. Their lives hang in the balance as they try to find a way to survive in the human world. They decide their time here is through and they must return to Elysse.

The only way to go home is to unite the Touchstone and the Orbis. But the Orbis isn't among the Various. Years ago, it was given to Celandine for safe keeping.

Now Midge and Celandine's stories come together as Midge looks to Celandine's past in order to find the Orbis and return it to the Various. However, there are those among the Various who would use the Orbis for their own evil purposes.

Will Midge be able to find the Orbis and return it to the right hands before the harsh winter kills the Various?

Like THE VARIOUS and CELANDINE, WINTER WOOD is told from varying points of view, giving the reader a glimpse into the lives of the characters, both human and Various.

I enjoyed walking into the chill WINTER WOOD and being lost in the triumphant conclusion of Augarde's trilogy. The story blazed with action and adventure despite its winter setting. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
To Bella and David, with thanks. And relief.
The tip of the bright orange float bobbed just once, no more than a twitch, a tiny bird-peck of movement, but it was enough to send a ripple circling over the water - and a jolt of excitement through George's heart.

In the final part of Steve Augarde’s captivating trilogy, past and present are connected, and the interwoven threads lead to an astonishing series of revelations.

Midge’s discovery of the hidden tribes is like a dream to her now, their existence all but forgotten. But then a voice calls out to her in the winter darkness. The Various have returned, and their desperation has made them all the more dangerous. They must travel to Elysse or perish. The only way that Midge can help the little people is by tracing the whereabouts of her great-great-aunt Celandine. But Celandine must be long dead, surely?

A story of danger and magic, friendship and betrayals, this is fantasy writing at its very best.

In this final part of Steve Augarde's trilogy, we see how the past and the present are connected, the interwoven threads drawing the reader on towards an astonishing series of revelations. A story of danger and magic, friendships and betrayals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,259,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible