Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (104)  Piratical (1)  All languages (105)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Before you say anything, I KNOW. Any werewolf nut worth their salt should be up to date on all things Patricia Briggs. Well, this is me fixing it, ok? The delay actually worked out in my favour because I tackled the SHIFTING SHADOWS anthology prior to this audiobook, and it contained this series’ prequel which really helped to put this story into context, and as a result I avoided the whole lost feeling that many readers experienced. That point aside, I’m still kicking myself for having postponed CRY WOLF for so long because as much as I adore MERCY THOMPSON, she can’t hold a candle to Charles & Anna! I loved the characters, learning more about what it means to be omega, and the author’s switch to the third person POV writing style. It was howling good!

I’ve always been drawn to Bran, Charles & Asil, so no arm twisting was necessary in order to convince me to spend more time with these alpha males. I enjoyed digging deeper into Cornick’s Native American half, and getting a closer look at the aspects that make him so unique among his kind including his ability to spawn clothing, and his Brother Wolf. Up until this point I hadn’t interacted much with The Moor, but I really liked him in the ROSES IN WINTER short, and was ecstatic when I discovered that this novel’s main plot line revolved around him. The reasons behind Asil wanting Bran to kill him are now crystal clear, and I loved that Anna was able to bring him some much needed peace. And, hanging with the Marrok is always a pleasure, even when he goes Beowulf.

Mercy went through some tough times in Briggs’ other series, however she’s got nothing on Anna—the poor girl! Who would have thought that she’d find solace in the arms of a hitman among a pack of psychotic werewolves, but that’s true love for ya. Exploring what makes her character tick was a real delight, and I enjoyed learning about her omega traits. She’s also a rarity among weres, and when combined with Charles’ oddities, the two satisfied my fur craving to the nth degree. I liked how the author took her time in developing their relationship, and transformed Anna’s unfortunate past into a healing balm for the Marrok’s misfits. Her confrontation with Leah was extremely gratifying, and this book’s ending made a big puddle of goo out of my heart.

I had some concerns about the male narrator because I’ve had problems with their female voices in the past; however Holter Graham quickly proved his worth as Anna and Charles. The former was soft without being breathy, and I adored his Native / Welsh lilt, it was very well-done. The third person POV certainly helped on both accounts, and he definitely added an extra layer of enjoyment to my listening experience. I always use the first installment to gauge a narrator’s performance, and Graham’s suitability for this series is uncanny. When I reached the midway point, I was already downloading HUNTING GROUND to my iPhone because I just couldn’t get enough of Briggs’ characters or his voice.

CRY WOLF left its mark on this audiobook buff! *muah* ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 20, 2014 |
Anna is battered but not broken and Charles is the perfect mate for her!! I love this side series to Mercy Thompson! So well written and the pace is wonderful!! This is a great start to what I am sure will be a favorite series!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I’m a big fan of the Mercedes Thompson series and was intrigued by Charles and Anna’s short story in the anthology On the Prowl.

Charles and Anna are polar opposites. Anna was made a werewolf against her will, her status as an Omega and her ability as such were kept from her, she was brutalized by her pack to keep her submissive and was forced to sever all ties with her family for fear of their safety. Charles on the other hand is an Alpha and assassin for his father the Marrok, the leader of all the American werewolves.

When Charles found out about Anna, he killed the Alpha of her pack and brought her home with him. Charles and Anna’s wolves are attracted to one another and I can sort of understand why. Anna’s wolf wants someone strong to protect her from more harm and someone who will not hurt her. Charles when confronted with Anna finds he doesn’t just want to be a seemingly unfeeling murderer anymore. He sees the opportunity for more and attempts to make Anna feel safe. He does his best to protect her and to be honest even when it could cost him her affections. He even goes so far as to seek advice from Asil, a very old wolf with a grudge against him, whose former mate was also an Omega.

Anna is a mess, she’s physically very thin and emotionally scarred by her experiences with her former pack and finds herself in unfamiliar territory with a stranger she is attracted to. It is incredibly difficult for her to trust and to remain calm in the presence of dominant wolves due to her past negative experiences with them. She has low self-esteem and constantly doubts others’ especially Charles’s feelings and intentions towards her. Anna sometimes uses her wolf to give her courage and during one of these times she decides to become Charles’s mate and sleeps with him. However it turns out the bonding didn’t work as planned, her wolf bonded to Charles but her human side was still unsure which showed the next morning when she becomes nervous around Charles again. It’s only when Charles and Anna are alone in the wilderness searching for the rogue werewolf that Charles and Anna become more comfortable with one another.

Walter gives Anna a purpose to her life. He is a Vietnam veteran who hides in the wilderness after his flashbacks led to him killing a civilian. During his time there he protected a hiker from a werewolf attack and in turn became one himself. His memories haunt him night and day so when he approaches Charles and Anna, she sees he is hurting and reaches out to him with her gift of giving a sense of peace and he falls into a dreamless sleep. He in turn becomes very protective of Anna which Charles accepts without challenge because he realises it’s not sexual.

Another very interesting character is Asil. He is haunted by his mate’s death and is worried that at his age he could lose control of his wolf at any moment and persistently seeks the Marrok’s mercy by asking for his death. The Marrok refuses and has continued to refuse for the past 15 years, he doesn’t believe Asil is as close to insanity as Asil feels he is. Cry Wolf dealt with his obsession with the past and his inability to see anything beyond his own nightmares. I noticed that Sage spent the most time with him and wondered whether there would be any romance between them in future books. She seemed to be waiting for Asil to look up from his roses and notice her interest in him. Good thing she seems patient!

Even though we have Samuel in this book, the link between this Alpha & Omego series and the Mercedes Thompson series is Bran, the Marrok. My question over his loveless bond with the awful Leah was answered but I found it saddening. Due to his evil mother he compromises his own happiness to protect the wolves.

I know someone with post-traumatic stress disorder so I was impressed with the way Walter and Anna’s characters were portrayed. I’m going to be honest. I didn’t care too much about the story. I cared about the characters and the way their lives unfolded in the pages. This book for me was about character development which was portrayed extremely well by Patricia Briggs.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I see this as a spin off series of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson sereis. I also think this one has a whole lot more "relationship" and "romance" issues going on. Not in a bad way by any means, just that the relationship between the two main characters seems to be a main vein that runs through the entire story. Where as the Mercy Thompson series has romance but I don't feel like its the main focus.

This series really should be read along with the other series to get the full depth of everything thats going on (Just in my opinion) though it isn't necessary to read both. But it does offer a lot of insight into the pack of werewolves that Mercy Thompson was raised in.

Lovers of werewolf fantasy will seriously enjoy this series.

Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
A spin off of the Mercy Thompson series we see a different side of the world that Briggs has created. Frustrating at times because so many of Briggs female characters are brutalized and abused, I will be interested in seeing how the series goes. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible