Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

2,558None2,342 (4.02)71
Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (2008)

2008 (16) 2009 (17) 2010 (11) Alpha and Omega (92) alpha and omega series (20) ebook (19) fantasy (201) fiction (120) Kindle (15) magic (33) own (16) paperback (9) paranormal (112) paranormal romance (49) patricia briggs (26) read (31) romance (77) science fiction (11) series (37) sff (20) shapeshifters (57) supernatural (20) to-read (42) unread (12) urban (13) urban fantasy (213) vampires (22) werewolves (257) wishlist (10) witches (47)
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

When I found out that this was related to the Mercy book series, I had to give it a try. And I'm glad that I did. Even though many of the same themes and situations arise in this series, the characters are what make the books stand out. Anna is the underdog (forgive the pun) and a fairly new wolf still trying to figure out who she is after a rocky start to her new life. She surprises everyone by showing a strength that grows from the love she feels for Charles. This series has a lot of potential and I look forward to reading more, and seeing what exactly Briggs has up her sleeve.
  katemiller1724 | Mar 13, 2014 |
The first full-length story in the Alpha & Omega series, which started off with the novella from the anthology, On The Prowl. Set in the same world as the Mercy Thompson series, it concentrates on the newly mated pair of Anna, an Omega who had been brutalized by her former pack, and Charles the second ranking werewolf in the country whose job entails dispensing justice to problem-causing werewolves.

The story begins where the novella left off. Charles had been shot by silver and Bran—Marrok over all werewolves in the U.S.--is on hand to take him home. While still recovering, Bran is forced to send his not-yet-healed-son out to take care of a rogue werewolf in the mountains whose actions risk the humans finding out that werewolves exist. Anna goes along and slowly begins to understand that she’s not a coward when it counts as they confront something unexpected.

This is a difficult book to review, which is why I didn’t review it the first time I read it. I’ve since read the series a number of times. What I easily enjoyed was getting to start learning more about Bran, the folks in Aspen Creek, magic, the situations they found themselves in, the threat they face, watching Anna begin to understand what she is and Charles to open up.

What I found especially difficult is that in Urban Fantasies we’re used to capable, kick-butt heroines and through much of the book, Anna is closer to a mewling doormat when it comes to what she fears Charles needs or thinks of her. But it fits and to handle it any other way would have had her being very unrealistic based on what we’d learned in the novella. Thankfully we see right away that she’s willing to stand up for herself and others when threats come from someone else. An ongoing theme through this and the other books is Anna’s growth in confidence when it comes to her worth and her relationship with Charles.

This story and the next one, Hunting Ground, begin towards the end of Moon Called in the Mercy Thompson series, but the second book finishes up before the end of Moon Called. The timeline in both series seems to mesh with the third book in the Alpha & Omega series and the sixth book in the Mercy Thompson series. ( )
  dearheart | Jan 19, 2014 |
Anna and Charles ( )
  Talthor | Dec 31, 2013 |
An amazing adventure of how a few brave men (and girls) almost single handedly hold off the Italian invasion of part of Ethiopia. A story of adventure, war, strife, misery and suffering, but also, ... a story of love and hope and kidness. ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Dec 2, 2013 |
Egads, Patricia Briggs just owns me. Mercy Thompson is my favorite UF heroine but now I'm also in love with Charles and Anna's story. The "abused woman learning her strength" storyline isn't usually something I like so it's a testament to the depth of these characters that I was fully engaged with them here. One thing that Briggs does is that her characters don't just bounce back from past issues without actually working through them. Too often the abused heroine falls in love and now it's all better. Anna definitely takes strength from Charles's love and finds her trust in him but she still needs to work through her past. Lest I make it all sound like drudgery - there is also joy and humor in Anna and Charles's journey. And the most of the second half of the book is a tense battle of wills and strength. Bonus: more insight into Bran and his relationship with Leah. I love Bran in the Mercy books so it was fun to see him more front and center here. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible