Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (124)  Piratical (1)  All (125)
Do werewolves smell of wet dog when they are in human form?

Anna is having a tough week. After breaking up with her old pack she moves to the middle of nowhere with a guy/wolf - Charles - she has only just met. Then when a rogue wolf starts attacking people, she has to help Charles track it down before it exposes the pack. But is it really a wolf?

Cry Wolf is another werewolf series from Patricia Briggs, set in the same universe as the Mercy Thompson series. After being won over by the Mercy series, I decided to give Alpha and Omega series a read. So I started with the Alpha and Omega novella and I am still scratching my head as to why it wasn't just included as the first few chapters of this novel. If you intend on reading Cry Wolf, do read Alpha and Omega first. Or don't: I'm not your mother.

This was quite a hard book to rate/review. It was an enjoyable read, but the breaking of the story between the main novel and the introductory novella throws out the narrative a bit. The romance between an abuse survivor and a really old life-long bachelor as the central plot is interesting, but it does tend to wander as the other events of the novel occur. At times I felt the story was just happening with no real point or destination in mind, but it felt like things tied together in the end. And for a Patricia Briggs story set in the same universe as the Mercy Thompson series it is going to draw comparisons. Whilst I'd recommend this book (and novella), it isn't as good as Mercy and her adventures.

My recommendation is that you'll enjoy reading this to sate your hunger for werewolf stories when you run out of Mercy Thompson novels to devour. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Set in Montana, this book starts up right after the events in the prequel, Alpha and Omega. While it’s not necessary to have read the prequel story first, it does help explain several things about Anna Latham and her first impressions of Charles Cornick. This romance driven tale follows Anna and Charles on their quest to find a rogue werewolf in the wilds of Montana.

Charles is the son of Bran, the Marrock for North America. Bran leads all the werewolf packs and Charles is his right hand man for handling disputes among the packs, hunting down rogue werewolves, and sometimes carrying out executions. Anna just came out of the Chicago pack; having been terrorized by them for a few years, she is now learning what it’s like to be part of a caring and mostly stable pack in Montana. She’s an Omega, which means she isn’t compelled by the werewolf magic and hierarchy to follow the rules all the time. She can be a peacemaker and become the glue that holds a pack together.

On the surface, these both seem like interesting characters. For me, they were OK. Charles is Native American, but that part of his character feels a bit forced. Perhaps it will become more natural as the series progresses. Anna is so submissive and while I get she’s just come through the other side of some hellish years, I expected her to blossom a bit more in this tale. I don’t need her to become some badass archer. I just need her to feel like she can go have a pee without asking permission first.

Asil was the most interesting character for me. His past is a bit nebulous, but he looks Middle Eastern and had spent some quality time in Spain at some point. He’s still in mourning for his wife and adopted daughter after all these years and his mind may be slipping. Lots is going on with this character and I really wanted to know more about him. There was this other really interesting character, but they were eliminated, so I can’t name them without giving out a spoiler. I was bummed. I thought they added something to the story and Briggs could have done much more with that character in subsequent stories.

The ladies in this tale, for the most part, have no status unless the man in their lives has status. Such a turn off. A woman’s self-worth is not inherently tied to the men she’s related to nor the man in her bed. I’m OK with characters believing this, but I need the storyline to show why this isn’t the case, show me how women step outside of the system, or show me the shadow hierarchy among the ‘lesser’ members. That way, we have something interesting going on instead of a worn-thin trope.

Now the hunt for the rogue werewolf was fun. Anna had the chance to show off some of her camping skills, which was great. And who doesn’t like watching werewolves frolic in snowy forests? The mystery surrounding the rogue werewolf was two fold and I enjoyed watching Charles and Anna figure out what was truly going on. There were some chilling moments and I wasn’t sure everyone was going to make it out OK. This part of the tale was well done.

The sex scene was brief. It started off hot and we got just so far before all the truly interesting details were skipped over and the lovers are laying side by side, satisfied. Since this is paranormal romance, I could have used more here. It would have made up for the weaker points of the story.

The Narration: Holter Graham continues to be an excellent Charles and an excellent Bran (the Marrock). His female voices were OK, though sometimes I had trouble discerning one woman from another. I love his accent for Asil! He sounds so much like Puss in Boots, so I kept picturing Asil as a large orange cat. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | May 4, 2017 |
4.5 stars review September. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
urban-fantasy, werewolves, witches, ptsd, relationships, mercyverse, series

Come sideways into the Mercyverse. This is a side series of the Mercy Thompson books. Charles is a foster brother several hundred years old, and Anna is his very recently found mate. While Charles and Anna are trying to get used to each other, a crisis arises in the Montana mountain area that they call home. The publisher's blurb gives hints and there is no need for spoilers. Just read it for yourself and get caught up in the world of the werewolf.
Holter Graham is perfect as narrator for this branch of the books. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Cry Wolf
4 Stars

Series note: It is necessary to read the prequel novella, Alpha & Omega, to understand the events at the beginning of the book. Moreover, I recommend reading the first three Mercy Thompson books in order to get a feel for the world Briggs is creating.

The plot is intriguing and assists in fleshing out the world building initially established in the Mercy Thompson series. The witches, for instance, are mentioned in Mercy's books, however, it is only after reading Cry Wolf that the full impact of their natures and powers becomes apparent.

Unlike Mercy's series, there is greater focus on the romance than the action of the urban fantasy plot. Anna and Charles are a likable couple and it is easy to root for them, but their relationship lacks chemistry. While Anna is slowly coming into her own as a werewolf and an Omega, she is not nearly as independent or confident as I would like. Nevertheless, she has her kick-ass moments and will hopefully develop in this regard as the series progresses. Charles is hard and uncompromising, which is completely understandable given his role as the pack's assassin, but Anna manages to bring out the love and compassion that he has aways tried so hard to conceal.

The secondary characters, particularly Walter and Asil, are the highlight of the book. Asil's backstory is riveting and Walter's basic humanity and dignity is only highlighted by the internal conflict that he struggles with both before and after his change. For this reason, Walter's death hit me hard as I really wanted him to find a home with the pack. The villain is suitably malevolent and creepy, and the revelations about Bran's past provides some fascinating insight into his role as the Marrok and his relationship with his sons.

In sum, Briggs is very skilled at creating a complex world with characters that come to life on the pages. Unfortunately, the writing style is somewhat problematic as there is the occasional disjointed sentence with ill placed commas and appositions, which interrupts the flow of the narrative. Nevertheless, the Alpha & Omega series is shaping into an entertaining spin-off and I am eager to see what happens next with Anna and Charles. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer—and son—of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf—a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

It is recommended you read the prequel "Alpha & Omega" before reading Cry Wolf.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible