Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byCristinaLogg, Sakerfalcon, Bugetta, private library, Cynical_Ames, holsa
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (103)  Piratical (1)  All languages (104)
I’m a big fan of the Mercedes Thompson series and was intrigued by Charles and Anna’s short story in the anthology On the Prowl.

Charles and Anna are polar opposites. Anna was made a werewolf against her will, her status as an Omega and her ability as such were kept from her, she was brutalized by her pack to keep her submissive and was forced to sever all ties with her family for fear of their safety. Charles on the other hand is an Alpha and assassin for his father the Marrok, the leader of all the American werewolves.

When Charles found out about Anna, he killed the Alpha of her pack and brought her home with him. Charles and Anna’s wolves are attracted to one another and I can sort of understand why. Anna’s wolf wants someone strong to protect her from more harm and someone who will not hurt her. Charles when confronted with Anna finds he doesn’t just want to be a seemingly unfeeling murderer anymore. He sees the opportunity for more and attempts to make Anna feel safe. He does his best to protect her and to be honest even when it could cost him her affections. He even goes so far as to seek advice from Asil, a very old wolf with a grudge against him, whose former mate was also an Omega.

Anna is a mess, she’s physically very thin and emotionally scarred by her experiences with her former pack and finds herself in unfamiliar territory with a stranger she is attracted to. It is incredibly difficult for her to trust and to remain calm in the presence of dominant wolves due to her past negative experiences with them. She has low self-esteem and constantly doubts others’ especially Charles’s feelings and intentions towards her. Anna sometimes uses her wolf to give her courage and during one of these times she decides to become Charles’s mate and sleeps with him. However it turns out the bonding didn’t work as planned, her wolf bonded to Charles but her human side was still unsure which showed the next morning when she becomes nervous around Charles again. It’s only when Charles and Anna are alone in the wilderness searching for the rogue werewolf that Charles and Anna become more comfortable with one another.

Walter gives Anna a purpose to her life. He is a Vietnam veteran who hides in the wilderness after his flashbacks led to him killing a civilian. During his time there he protected a hiker from a werewolf attack and in turn became one himself. His memories haunt him night and day so when he approaches Charles and Anna, she sees he is hurting and reaches out to him with her gift of giving a sense of peace and he falls into a dreamless sleep. He in turn becomes very protective of Anna which Charles accepts without challenge because he realises it’s not sexual.

Another very interesting character is Asil. He is haunted by his mate’s death and is worried that at his age he could lose control of his wolf at any moment and persistently seeks the Marrok’s mercy by asking for his death. The Marrok refuses and has continued to refuse for the past 15 years, he doesn’t believe Asil is as close to insanity as Asil feels he is. Cry Wolf dealt with his obsession with the past and his inability to see anything beyond his own nightmares. I noticed that Sage spent the most time with him and wondered whether there would be any romance between them in future books. She seemed to be waiting for Asil to look up from his roses and notice her interest in him. Good thing she seems patient!

Even though we have Samuel in this book, the link between this Alpha & Omego series and the Mercedes Thompson series is Bran, the Marrok. My question over his loveless bond with the awful Leah was answered but I found it saddening. Due to his evil mother he compromises his own happiness to protect the wolves.

I know someone with post-traumatic stress disorder so I was impressed with the way Walter and Anna’s characters were portrayed. I’m going to be honest. I didn’t care too much about the story. I cared about the characters and the way their lives unfolded in the pages. This book for me was about character development which was portrayed extremely well by Patricia Briggs.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I see this as a spin off series of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson sereis. I also think this one has a whole lot more "relationship" and "romance" issues going on. Not in a bad way by any means, just that the relationship between the two main characters seems to be a main vein that runs through the entire story. Where as the Mercy Thompson series has romance but I don't feel like its the main focus.

This series really should be read along with the other series to get the full depth of everything thats going on (Just in my opinion) though it isn't necessary to read both. But it does offer a lot of insight into the pack of werewolves that Mercy Thompson was raised in.

Lovers of werewolf fantasy will seriously enjoy this series.

Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
A spin off of the Mercy Thompson series we see a different side of the world that Briggs has created. Frustrating at times because so many of Briggs female characters are brutalized and abused, I will be interested in seeing how the series goes. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
I've debated picking up one of Patricia Briggs' books for a while, and I was not disappointed, as the book was an enjoyable read.

Briggs' has laid an excellent foundation for her paranormal setting. I think it was one of the strongest aspects of the book, on just how solid of a world she created as well as meshing into to the real world. Her interpretation of werewolves was also interesting, although some things weren't explained as much as I would have liked in this book, I think more of what I want will, be answered further on in the series. I enjoyed the story, but I did find I was missing something. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't read the Mercy Thompson books yet, or if it was something else, but I felt l was missing important plot pieces.

The characters were fairly well done, although I did find that some of their quirks, habits and inner thoughts were becoming repetitive after awhile - especially with Anna and Cornick. They're traits were sometimes overdone, especially considering it's already been established, on who they are, what drives them, what hurts them etc. On the plus side, the characters development is excellent. It's a natural development that is very fitting in the story, and I think by the time the I read further into the series, the characters will be very fleshed out, and likely some of my initial issues with them will be gone.

Overall it was a good read and I look forward to reading the rest of the series and the Mercy Thompson series.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Cry Wolf ( )
  bookwormjules | May 3, 2014 |
Anna has been a werewolf for 3 years – and those years have been spent as the victim of the Chicago pack, a pack that brutalised and tortured her to keep her under control. Until Charles, son of the Marrock, came to town and killed the old Alpha, rescued her – and formed a mate bond with her.

She’s now a member of the Marrock’s pack and is reeling from the changes that have so transformed her life and having to come to terms with how this pack works – how it is not the abusive situation she is used to, but nor is it a haven of peace and tranquillity. There’s also the revelation that she is one of the ultra-rare Omegas and what that means, and that the mating bond with Charles has not yet solidified.

Neither she nor Charles has the chance to assimilate to the changes as a rogue werewolf appears to be killing people, just before the Marrock wants to reveal them all to the world. Charles is the only one he can send to investigate, but things escalate badly when they face an evil far more dangerous than an out of control wolf – but a centuries old threat that could destroy the entire pack.

As someone who is familiar with the world of this series from the Mercy Thompson Series, I found this book fascinating for what it developed. The story was good, it was interesting and it was well written – and certainly pulled me in and was never a struggle to read – but I think the main gem of this book was expanding the world.

Through this book we got to see more detail about the Marrock, his history, what he was and what that means. Through that we also see far more of what goes into being a werewolf – I think one of the problems with writing about such a mainstay of legends like a werewolf is that people have already read so much and tend to take that as a base line. Patricia Briggs has done an excellent job of creating something very original with the werewolves – their immortality and pack bonds – and making that a whole foundation for what it means to be a werewolf. They’re not quirks, or oddities intended to differentiate these from the generic – they’re elements that have created a truly original being and a foundation for their whole society while still paying homage to the mainstays of werewolf mythology. There’s some interesting conflict here that we’ve only seen from the outside – like the nature of being a monster, the need to kill, even the need to put down your fellow werewolves who lose themselves and what that means for your own morality.

This book also opened up witchcraft a little, which has always been something lurking in the back of the series but never really expounded upon to any great degree. These new insights add texture not just to this series but to the world as a whole – it’s one of the joys of reading an expanded universe that you can put the different stories together to create a completed whole without it feeling convoluted.

That doesn’t mean this book isn’t perfectly fine to read if you haven’t read the Mercy ThompsonSeries it’s still fascinating it still has an excellent world and it as a fun, action packed story that is paced well – managing to balance some good action, some great mystery, a few surprising twists and a lot of very concise description of the setting to really bring the mountains alive. I think the characters have a lot of potential – Anna has layers of conflict and experience and learning... but her “growth” often feels like mercurial mood swings. She’s supposed to be gaining on confidence, but she seems to swoop between meek mouse and fierce eagle between paragraphs. I think it’s supposed to be her natural Omega nature pushing through her abused nature but at times it feels… random. The ancient characters also have a pretty good sense of their age which is pretty rare to see done well. And the veteran werewolf was a wonderful and tragic figure.

Even if I hadn’t read the other series, reading this book would pull me in, incite my curiosity and encourage me to read more.

While we still have the ongoing and very cliché dominant-werewolves-who-snarl-and-own-their-women that is prevalent in this world setting (Charles can’t even stand to see his own father with Anna because ZOMG MAH WOMAN!) the emphasis is more on protection. And by protection, I don’t mean “CCTV at work and you better not go shopping on your own, because you are MAH woman and I will keep you safe!” It is much more about caring and protecting than dominating and controlling – it further adds to the texture of submissives and how valuable they are for a pack simply because Dominants are so dominant and have to play their silly games all the time that it’s submissives that give the pack reason to be.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 24, 2014 |
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible