Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byKaryn000, nysmith, private library, eva_s, Zikxed, Mortal_Elf, Robin.D..Green, Teenycakes, K_Weston
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (105)  Piratical (1)  All languages (106)
What a fantastic ride this book was! I really love Anna and Charles together. The world of werewolves that Briggs sets up is intricate and believable. Anna is the perfect combination of a strong yet vulernable heroine. Turned against her will and abused by her old pack Anna is a survivor. She's still haunted by the abuse but she doesn't let it rule her. Charles has always been a loner. As his father's hitman his job is to hunt down rogue werewolves and kill them. He doesn't let anyone get close to him. Until Anna. His inner wolf accepted her immediately and now the man struggles to catch up.

In the middle of Anna and Charles getting to know and trust each other there's a rogue wolf running around attacking humans and a crazy power hungry witch up to no good. The beginning and end were really good, but the story kind of lagged in the middle. I really enjoyed the strong romantic element without the drama of how the couple gets together. We know Anna and Charles are together and nothing can change that. The focus was more on how they learn to work together and trust each other and love each other. It's an interesting dynamic and I can't wait for more of these two. They are absolutely perfect together. ( )
1 vote Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
This book grabbed me from the moment I started reading. Action, action, action. From the very beginning there is no true lull in what is going on. Granted I feel I missed something important where the book started by the end I felt well informed but I am hungry for more. What exactly is an Omega? What happened when Charles met Anna? And how could Asil not have known not telling the whole, unadultered truth was not a bad thing? Good and evil battle while trust is gained and friends are found and lost. Purely genius. This was my first Patricia Briggs novel and I can't wait to read more!
  mariahsidhe | Feb 3, 2015 |
Brigg's Alpha and Omega series is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. The slowly evolving relationship between Anna and Charles is just so touching. Anna, the heroine, was heavily abused by her previous pack. Even after being rescued by the merrick and his son, Charles, she's extremely leery around other werewolves. This includes Charles, who is her mate. Charles, for his part, is trying his best to make Anna comfortable and earn her trust. However, a spurt of recent attacks near their home forces them into an investigation and hunt.

I adore that the romantic relationship in this story doesn't hinge on a love triangle and instead focuses on Charles and Anna dealing with their own demons. The mystery surrounding the attacks and action of the two of them hunting the perpetrator through the snowy woods is just awesome. If you like Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series you'll love this one. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Before you say anything, I KNOW. Any werewolf nut worth their salt should be up to date on all things Patricia Briggs. Well, this is me fixing it, ok? The delay actually worked out in my favour because I tackled the SHIFTING SHADOWS anthology prior to this audiobook, and it contained this series’ prequel which really helped to put this story into context, and as a result I avoided the whole lost feeling that many readers experienced. That point aside, I’m still kicking myself for having postponed CRY WOLF for so long because as much as I adore MERCY THOMPSON, she can’t hold a candle to Charles & Anna! I loved the characters, learning more about what it means to be omega, and the author’s switch to the third person POV writing style. It was howling good!

I’ve always been drawn to Bran, Charles & Asil, so no arm twisting was necessary in order to convince me to spend more time with these alpha males. I enjoyed digging deeper into Cornick’s Native American half, and getting a closer look at the aspects that make him so unique among his kind including his ability to spawn clothing, and his Brother Wolf. Up until this point I hadn’t interacted much with The Moor, but I really liked him in the ROSES IN WINTER short, and was ecstatic when I discovered that this novel’s main plot line revolved around him. The reasons behind Asil wanting Bran to kill him are now crystal clear, and I loved that Anna was able to bring him some much needed peace. And, hanging with the Marrok is always a pleasure, even when he goes Beowulf.

Mercy went through some tough times in Briggs’ other series, however she’s got nothing on Anna—the poor girl! Who would have thought that she’d find solace in the arms of a hitman among a pack of psychotic werewolves, but that’s true love for ya. Exploring what makes her character tick was a real delight, and I enjoyed learning about her omega traits. She’s also a rarity among weres, and when combined with Charles’ oddities, the two satisfied my fur craving to the nth degree. I liked how the author took her time in developing their relationship, and transformed Anna’s unfortunate past into a healing balm for the Marrok’s misfits. Her confrontation with Leah was extremely gratifying, and this book’s ending made a big puddle of goo out of my heart.

I had some concerns about the male narrator because I’ve had problems with their female voices in the past; however Holter Graham quickly proved his worth as Anna and Charles. The former was soft without being breathy, and I adored his Native / Welsh lilt, it was very well-done. The third person POV certainly helped on both accounts, and he definitely added an extra layer of enjoyment to my listening experience. I always use the first installment to gauge a narrator’s performance, and Graham’s suitability for this series is uncanny. When I reached the midway point, I was already downloading HUNTING GROUND to my iPhone because I just couldn’t get enough of Briggs’ characters or his voice.

CRY WOLF left its mark on this audiobook buff! *muah* ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 20, 2014 |
Anna is battered but not broken and Charles is the perfect mate for her!! I love this side series to Mercy Thompson! So well written and the pace is wonderful!! This is a great start to what I am sure will be a favorite series!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,816,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible