Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked In Death by J. D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (122)  Piratical (1)  All languages (123)
This was a fun and unusual urban fantasy. Anna is an omega and that makes her out of the pack but very important to it. Charles is a very alpha kind of guy who is having to learn new things about himself and the world he has lived in for over 200 hundred years. The romance is very downplayed, which I found surprising. I thought it was going to be more important to the plot overall because of the whole mating thing. Lots of politics and plot heavy things going on but I liked the world building and I have not read Briggs main series Mercy Thompson. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
"4 out of 5 stars. I wasn't sure at first how I would like this world and it's characters but as soon as I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. Great setting ... I liked how you can every point of view so the story is that much more believable!!"

Read more of our review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/if-i-could-have-just-one-wish-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Very good start to a new series by Briggs. At first I thought I wouldn't like it but I do. Very interested to see where this series is going so I am going to read the sequels which are already out. I like both the hero and heroine of this, no one is Too Stupid to Live. Continued world building and background from the Mercy Thompson books. If I hadn't read Briggs book of collected short stories first some of this might have been a little confusing but having done so, it worked excellently. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Mar 13, 2016 |
I made the mistake of reading this book before the Novella (Alpha & Omega/On The Prowl). It felt like I was dropped into the middle of a story and I was highly confused, not knowing what an Omega was, or who Charles was, how he could "change" so quickly, and why Anna felt safer in his presence. I went back and listened to the audiobook and all my questions were answered.

I enjoyed this and really like the dynamics between Charles and Anna. With his magical abilities and her unique gifts as an omega wolf, I can see them working as a team to strengthen and assist the pack. Anna is having quite a culture shock moving from Chicago to Montana, but after what she'd experienced, she deserves the stability Charles will provide. As they went after the rogue in The Cabinets, they were forced to rely on each other and found that they had more than a rogue on the loose. It was an exciting and suspenseful read. For awhile I was getting worried if they would prevail!

It was also neat to learn more about Bran and his history. I understand now why he chose Leah as a mate and I hope that someday he gets his own story. The plot was great and true to Ms. Briggs' style, it unfolded nicely and kept me guessing. I'll be returning to this series in the near future! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Anna was turned into a werewolf against her will and brutalized for years. Someone else's peril gave her the push she needed to call in the Marok's enforcer. When Charles arrived in Chicago, they each realized that they were in love. Within a week, they'd resolved the pack's dysfunction (by killing most of the pack) and then Anna moved to live with Charles. About a day after arriving in the weird little community the Marok's pack (made mostly of wolves either too vulnerable or too dangerous for other packs), Charles and Anna are given a mission: find and stop whatever's been killing hikers. They stomp through the snow for a couple days, find the person responsible, some fights happen, they win, and then they get married. Sure, they've known each other for less than two weeks. Sure, Anna was emotionally and sexually abused for years until just two weeks ago. But hey, their wolves recognize either other as mates, so...Also features Asil, a wolf so old that he has a perpetually jaded and borderline suicidal outlook on life. Although I quite liked him in Briggs's Mercy Thompson series, hearing his internal monolog makes him feel implausible and thinly characterized.

What was really amazing about this book is that despite all the action and romance, it is so boring that I fell asleep most times I tried to read it. It actually, literally operated as a soporific. I don't know if it's just because I don't like the characters or what, but I found this series nigh unreadable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,870,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible