Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) by Patricia…

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs, Todd Herman (Illustrator)

Member:realityshowgirl
Title:Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Other authors:Todd Herman (Illustrator)
Info:InkLit (2012), Hardcover, 128 pages
Collections:read

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byLeena.Ward, LindaMader, Kaylinofhr, lin262, TegarSault, Isavarg, private library, jdk102000, Boomer44
    Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Naked in Death (In Death, Book 1) by J. D. Robb (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker (BookWhisperer)

English (123)  Piratical (1)  All languages (124)

“Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly the choices you make in life."

There’s a few things that making reading life a little glum, and one of those things is being excited to read a well-loved book by the genre community only to find out that, for irritating reasons, you have absolutely no idea where the other readers are coming from with their devotion.

That’s what happened to me with Cry Wolf, the first book in the Alpha & Omega series. I’ve been reading the Mercy Thompson books for years now, and every so often when I review one of the sequels with a less than stellar rating, someone will pop up and say – “oh, you have to read the OTHER series, it’s better!” Or, “you have to read about Anna and Charles, their stories are just as good.” I’ve seen the same recommendations in groups as well. So…I have finally hopped on board, only to fall off again!

From the start, this book lost a brownie point and a half when I found the first page was diving into an already-existing relationship. Ugh bug. I know from internet snooping that there is a prequel to this, a short story, where the two first meet.

But on principle I’m stomping my foot and saying I don’t want to have to read a short story to fully enjoy and connect with a first book in a series. That’s not how my reading life typically works. So, I still kept digging into the book and ignoring the fact that the mated pair have already met, they’ve already established this serious life-changing bond off-page, and we’re starting a book where she’s moving out of her apartment and into his house.

I kept thinking there may be recaps later that would make me see how they first met and understand the connection, something that would explain the bond and make me actually care about their situation, but no. It continues as is and I had issues accepting that. It didn’t help that I felt no spark from Charles – people seem to love him but I don’t get the charm. To me he lacked naughty humor, he was serious as a nail, and I couldn’t find much personality in there. Anna was average as a heroine but didn’t stand out for me either – she seems sweet, but nothing that makes me sit up and take notice. Together I couldn’t’ observe their sizzle and chemistry.

What I DID like reading about was seeing more of Bran (the man just draws attention whatever series he graces), more background story on his bitchy mate Leah, and I seriously liked the intro of sweet Warren. Those side characters were much more interesting. The book was finally picking up until the author did a “sad, bad thing” to a person I connected with.

The storyline was dull for the first half – it became more interesting when they set out to find the rogue wolf and do investigations. There was tension and well-done scenes – the villain was a worthy, witchy one. I don’t find flaw with the conflict, crisis and resolution – but I did find the first half of the book unnecessarily lackluster. The last of heart and emotion from the two mains didn’t help that.

I doubt I’ll give the series another shot, even though some have encouraged at least trying the second book. I won’t order it fresh, shiny and new, but I’ll do an attempt if I run across a used copy. Meanwhile, I’ll have to continue having fun with Mercy’s characters and seeing Bran from a distance.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Cry Wolf
4 Stars

Series note: It is necessary to read the prequel novella, Alpha & Omega, to understand the events at the beginning of the book. Moreover, I recommend reading the first three Mercy Thompson books in order to get a feel for the world Briggs is creating.

The plot is intriguing and assists in fleshing out the world building initially established in the Mercy Thompson series. The witches, for instance, are mentioned in Mercy's books, however, it is only after reading Cry Wolf that the full impact of their natures and powers becomes apparent.

Unlike Mercy's series, there is greater focus on the romance than the action of the urban fantasy plot. Anna and Charles are a likable couple and it is easy to root for them, but their relationship lacks chemistry. While Anna is slowly coming into her own as a werewolf and an Omega, she is not nearly as independent or confident as I would like. Nevertheless, she has her kick-ass moments and will hopefully develop in this regard as the series progresses. Charles is hard and uncompromising, which is completely understandable given his role as the pack's assassin, but Anna manages to bring out the love and compassion that he has aways tried so hard to conceal.

The secondary characters, particularly Walter and Asil, are the highlight of the book. Asil's backstory is riveting and Walter's basic humanity and dignity is only highlighted by the internal conflict that he struggles with both before and after his change. For this reason, Walter's death hit me hard as I really wanted him to find a home with the pack. The villain is suitably malevolent and creepy, and the revelations about Bran's past provides some fascinating insight into his role as the Marrok and his relationship with his sons.

In sum, Briggs is very skilled at creating a complex world with characters that come to life on the pages. Unfortunately, the writing style is somewhat problematic as there is the occasional disjointed sentence with ill placed commas and appositions, which interrupts the flow of the narrative. Nevertheless, the Alpha & Omega series is shaping into an entertaining spin-off and I am eager to see what happens next with Anna and Charles. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a fun and unusual urban fantasy. Anna is an omega and that makes her out of the pack but very important to it. Charles is a very alpha kind of guy who is having to learn new things about himself and the world he has lived in for over 200 hundred years. The romance is very downplayed, which I found surprising. I thought it was going to be more important to the plot overall because of the whole mating thing. Lots of politics and plot heavy things going on but I liked the world building and I have not read Briggs main series Mercy Thompson. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
"4 out of 5 stars. I wasn't sure at first how I would like this world and it's characters but as soon as I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. Great setting ... I liked how you can every point of view so the story is that much more believable!!"

Read more of our review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/if-i-could-have-just-one-wish-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Very good start to a new series by Briggs. At first I thought I wouldn't like it but I do. Very interested to see where this series is going so I am going to read the sequels which are already out. I like both the hero and heroine of this, no one is Too Stupid to Live. Continued world building and background from the Mercy Thompson books. If I hadn't read Briggs book of collected short stories first some of this might have been a little confusing but having done so, it worked excellently. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Mar 13, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amanda, fashionista, musician, and hairstyle artist. This one's for you.
No one knew better than Walter Rice that the only safe place was away from other people.

This book is related to the Mercy Thompson series, but will have Charles and Anna from the previous short story "Alpha and Omega" in the anthology On the Prowl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016154, Mass Market Paperback)

Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson’s world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she’d learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

After years at the bottom of the pack, Anna has learned never to trust dominant males, until Charles Cornick, the enforcer and leader of the North American werewolves, declares her his mate, revealing her destiny as an Omega wolf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible