Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes (2006)

by Langston Hughes

Other authors: Benny Andrews (Illustrator), Arnold Rampersad (Editor), David Roessel (Editor)

Series: Poetry for Young People

A brief profile of African American poet Langston Hughes accompanies some of his better known poems for children.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
2006
  fadeledu | Sep 17, 2019 |
David Roessel's "Poetry for Young People: Langston Hughes: is an illustrated book with Langton Hughes poems. Poems touch on the African American experience-culture, remembrance of slavery. Good at introducing identity, African American history, and rhythmic poetry to second graders. These poems could be used as a template for students to start creating their own poems ( )
  lauraf3 | Feb 24, 2019 |
This book is a collection of poem by Langston Hughes. Many of the poems take the reader through many African American experiences and the struggles of dealing with race. I think that the younger students might struggle to understand some of these poems, but it serves a powerful message. Hughes was able to write poems that tells us how an African American would have thought with the struggles that they had to face. He also did this in a beautiful way that older children will be able to understand. The poem that touched me was the "Merry-Go-Round" it talks about a child that is African American is not able to ride on the merry-go-round because blacks and whites were not able to sit by each other. This was emotional because I can not imagine a young African American child on the side of the ride watching while the whites were able to do whatever they wanted. ( )
  Nattamari | Nov 5, 2018 |
I really enjoy poetry and Langston Hughes.This book is an excellent example of poetry for children. It is a collection of the poetry by Langston Hues for children and is paired with Benny Andrew's beautiful paintings that give the reader insight into the soul of African American culture, and pre-abolition. The poems were really intense and although I loved them I feel that this book would be appropriate for older students. I would have the children write their own poems. ( )
  LatriciaMurphy | Dec 4, 2017 |

Hughes, Langstonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, BennyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rampersad, ArnoldEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roessel, DavidEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Legacy Library: Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Langston Hughes's legacy profile.

See Langston Hughes's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,619,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible