Sacrifice by S. J. Bolton

Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Sacrifice by Sharon Bolton

Recently added byflu1918, wordsawere

English (31)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
This is SJ Bolton's debut novel, and what a debut it is! Set in a small community in Northern Scotland, it catches you from the very first chapter and the very first body and keeps you guessing right through until the end. Fantastic! ( )
  TracyCampbell | Sep 5, 2013 |
Spooky and scary without resorting to gruesome...kept me up very late! And I also want to visit the Shetland islands now, as the book is suffused with their atmosphere and rugged beauty. ( )
  diva0301 | Apr 24, 2013 |
This is the first book I've read for The Great Transworld Crime Caper. I'm a big fan of crime fiction so I thought I would take the opportunity to try out some new authors, the synopsis for Sacrifice left me looking forward to it arriving in the post.

The action kicks off within the first chapter of the book as Tora discovers the mutilated corpse buried on her land. From that point on I felt completely drawn in to the plot, and found it really hard to put the book down. There is no let up from the plot, even the quieter sections are all plot building, there is certainly no filler to be found. About halfway through I had a eureka moment and was sure I knew how the plot was going to end, whilst my thoughts were not wrong they definitely fell far short of the brilliant conclusion to the book. Bolton managed to fit so much into the plot yet it never felt unrealistic.

I found the characters easy to engage with, Tora particularly. I found myself getting really invested in her story, when she dug further and further into what was going on I felt anxious about what might happen to her. At the various points when her attempts were thwarted I found myself getting frustrated on her behalf. I also really liked the character of Dana, I found that I could identify pretty well with her.

The way the book is written worked really well for me. I've never travelled to the Shetland Isles but Bolton describes the area in such a way that I could picture it really clearly. I loved the way that folklore and legend was woven into the plot, I think the combination of this and the setting worked to make the book a really interesting read.
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
After reading Awakening by the same author, I couldn't wait to read her first book, which this was. Like Awakening, it features a highly skilled professional woman who is also a bit of an athlete and daredevil. Tora Hamilton, an obstetrician, has recently moved to her husband's native Shetland Islands with him. She is the sort of woman who, when a beloved horse dies of old age, rents a digger so that she can bury him herself. Her plans are foiled by the discovery of a human body which has been horribly mutilated and then carefully buried. Local police seem to want to brush her concerns aside, except for one woman detective who's also an off-islander. Ancient Shetland folklore and all-too-modern concerns combine for a thrilling plot, and Tora's personal and professional skills will both be badly needed if she is to survive. Can she trust even her own husband? I devoted a large part of a day to reading this book, it was one of the rare "can't put it down" variety. Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
'There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.'

George Carlin
For Andrew, who makes everything possible; and for Hal, who makes it worthwhile.
The corpse I could cope with.

Moving to remote Shetland has been unsettling enough for consultant surgeon Tora Hamilton; even before the gruesome discovery she makes one rain-drenched afternoon ...Deep in the peat soil of her field she is shocked to find the perfectly preserved body of a young woman, a gaping hole where her heart has been brutally removed and three rune marks etched into her skin. The marks bear an eerie resemblance to carvings Tora has seen all over the islands, and she quickly uncovers disturbing links to an ancient legend. But as Tora investigates she is warned by the local police, her boss, and even her husband, to leave well alone. And even though it chills her to the bone to admit it ...something tells her their concern isn't genuine.

In this masterful debut that starts off as a mystery and becomes much more, Tora Hamilton is an outsider at her new home on the rocky, windswept Shetland Islands, a hundred miles from the northeastern tip of Scotland. Though her husband grew up here, it’s the first time he’s been back in twenty years. Digging in the peat on their new property, Tora unearths a human body, at first glance a centuries-old bog body, interesting but not uncommon. But realizing that the body is in fact much newer, that the woman’s heart has been cut out, and that she was killed within a few days of bearing a child, Tora, herself an obstetrician, becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to her—even when the police, her colleagues, and eventually her husband warn her against getting involved.

Sacrifice is a bone-chilling, spellbinding debut about secrets worth killing for that will grip readers from its beginning to its startling end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:04 -0400)

Tora Hamilton is an outsider at her new home on the rocky, wind-swept Shetland Islands, a hundred miles from the northeastern tip of Scotland. Though her husband grew up here, it's the first time he's been back in twenty years. Digging in the peat on their new property, Tora unearths a human body, at first glance a centuries-old bog body, interesting but not uncommon. But realizing that the body is in fact much newer, that the woman's heart has been cut out and that she was killed within a few days of bearing a child, Tora, herself an obstetrician, becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to her--even when the police, her colleagues and eventually her husband warn her against getting involved.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,101,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible