Shatter by Michael Robotham

Shatter (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Michael Robotham

520None19,413 (3.93)39
Member:crimson-tide
Title:Shatter
Authors:Michael Robotham
Info:Clipper Audiobooks (2008), Audio CD, 13 CDs
Collections:ebooks, Audios
Tags:fiction, london, crime, murder, thriller, audiobook, library, R10, aw, australian author, wgs, &ebook

Shatter by Michael Robotham (2008)

English (40)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All languages (47)
Very good psychological twist and good choice of lead character with Parkinson's. I really loved 90% of this book until certain predictable things happened. ( )
  Marssie | Mar 2, 2014 |
Terrific thriller and a refreshing change of pace. It did take me a few pages to get used to it being all-British. ie. talking about the boot of a car, and a parking lot is a car park, etc.. But the story was thrilling - - a woman walks naked to a bridge and jumps - - all the time on a cell phone. The lead character is a psychologist who is called in to help. Then another woman is found dead - similar circumstances. The suspect is someone who can hear when a person's mind breaks - - and he enjoys it.

Exciting book - - all the way till the end. ( )
  blush48 | Jul 24, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This latest work of suspense from Michael Robotham does not disappoint. Joe O'Loughlin watches a woman jump to her death but as he learns more about her the more he thinks that she didn't jump voluntarily. Someone, somehow, made her jump. He becomes involved in the investigation and the search for the culprit, never realizing that his own family might be at risk... ( )
  justpeachy | Apr 25, 2013 |
Another excellent mystery/psychological thriller--fast paced, excellent characters and some great dialogue. I was first introduced to this author with The Wreckage and sought out some of the earlier books featuring the psychologist character Joe O'Laughlin. Much smarter than your average James Patterson mystery/thriller.
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |
I enjoyed listening to this one but it really grinds my gears (shoutout to Peter Griffin) when a narrator makes two MAIN characters sound exactly the same. In this novel, both Joe and the killer sounded similar so I never quite knew who was talking until after a few sentences of dialogue.

The story itself was interesting. I didn't know until after I was a few hours in that this is part of a series. I am interested to see what Joe has been up to before. I did not enjoy his relationship with his wife, but I'm not married, so what the hell do I know about whether it is realistic:-)

I always enjoy listening to the riveting climaxes of crime fiction on audiobooks and this one really came through for me. I liked the mind games the killer played over the phone and I liked the twist about the wife/daughter dual-kidnapping. I felt dissatisfied with the ending but, overall, it was entertaining. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
'The sleep of reason produces monsters.' - Goya (The Caprichos)
'The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in him heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.' - Psalm 55:21
This is for Mark Lucas, a friend first.
It's eleven o'clock in the morning, late september, and outside it's raining so hard that cows are floating down rivers and birds are resting on their bloated bodies.
"You don't understand," she whispers to me, lowering the phone. For the briefest of moments it dangles at the end of her fingers, as if trying to cling to her, and then tumbles away into the void.

Christine Wheeler commits suicide by jumping off the Clifton Bridge.

Psychologist Joe O'Loughlin must track down a deranged adversary who drives people to suicide by destroying their sanity.

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shatter by Michael Robotham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible