Shatter by Michael Robotham

Shatter (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Michael Robotham

Authors:Michael Robotham
Info:Clipper Audiobooks (2008), Audio CD, 13 CDs
Collections:ebooks, Audios
Tags:fiction, london, crime, murder, thriller, audiobook, library, R10, aw, australian author, wgs, &ebook

Shatter by Michael Robotham (2008)

English (47)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (1)  Tagalog (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
Shatter. Michael Robotham. 2008. Where has this author been?! I cannot remember where I read about this book but I am so very glad I did! Joe O’Loughlin is a psychologist whose career has been side-lined somewhat because he has Parkinson’s. He has moved his family away from London and is teaching freshman psychology class when he is asked to help talk a suicidal woman from a bridge. He realizes that she is talking to someone on a phone but he cannot get her attention before she jumps; he accepts the police verdict of suicide until the woman’s daughter comes to him and tells him her mother was afraid of heights and would never jump to her death. He fails to convince the police to re-open the case until another woman, a friend of the victim, is found dead in a bizarre posture. Suspense builds as Joe tries to get a handle on the murderer, look after his children and Darcy, the daughter of the first murdered woman; manage his suspensions about his beautiful wife; deal with his physical limitations, and protect his family. I loved his interaction with his children and wife. Thank goodness he appears in more books! Robotham is a new addition to my “must read authors! ( )
  judithrs | Aug 17, 2015 |
Review to follow! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Mar 26, 2015 |
One of the members of our book club, The Thrillers & Chillers, had introduced me to Michael Robotham's writings and folks, definitely read of Joe O'Loughlin, a psychologist turned professor, who is dealing with his own problems with Parkinson's disease and his marriage. What a believable character Joe is. This is book number three with Joe O'Loughlin. The first of this series is The Suspect (2004), then Lost (2005) aka The Drowning Man.
Shatter opens with the police asking for Joe's help to stop a naked woman from jumping from a bridge. When he gets there he sees the woman talking on a cell phone and without any luck persuading her off the bridge, she jumps. The last words she says are to him - "You don't understand."
Joe is troubled with disappointment within himself - that he couldn't save the woman - and as the story moves along, the teenage daughter of the woman finds him and tells him she was not suicidal and her mother had a fear of heights. Joe, being Joe, is soon obsessed with discovering who was on the other end of that phone. Joe starts the search and is caught up in a string of murders. He finds that the killer is more psychotic than he expects but I had felt that the killer still had some 'human' in him, but, being able to break people's minds with words over the phone had me (morbidly/horridly) intrigued to keep turning the pages.
Very believable characters, unpredictable plot twists, and definitely worth reading for thriller lovers. ( )
  Buttonholed | Dec 21, 2014 |
My wife picked this up at the library on audio and said she really liked it. I'm not one for thrillers. Basically if it doesn't have magic or aliens or at least swords in it I won't give it a chance. Obviously from my 5 star rating I liked it quite a bit. The writing was AMAZING. EVERY character came to life. There was never any confusion about who was who because you recognized every character immediately.

This book is not for the faint of heart. There's some deep psychological doo-doo going on here especially if you're a parent. I don't think it goes too far or anything but it's pretty scary at times.

I would definitely recommend this if you liked Silence of the Lambs, though I've only seen that movie and not read the book. I can't believe they haven't made a movie out of this book although, it might just be too dark.

The narrator on the audio book was excellent and I also wanted to note that I didn't realized this was the 3rd book in the series but it didn't seem to matter. I was never confused about what was going on. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 12, 2014 |
very good
  Stormchaser | Sep 22, 2014 |
'The sleep of reason produces monsters.' - Goya (The Caprichos)
'The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in him heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.' - Psalm 55:21
This is for Mark Lucas, a friend first.
It's eleven o'clock in the morning, late september, and outside it's raining so hard that cows are floating down rivers and birds are resting on their bloated bodies.
"You don't understand," she whispers to me, lowering the phone. For the briefest of moments it dangles at the end of her fingers, as if trying to cling to her, and then tumbles away into the void.

Christine Wheeler commits suicide by jumping off the Clifton Bridge.

Psychologist Joe O'Loughlin must track down a deranged adversary who drives people to suicide by destroying their sanity.

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shatter by Michael Robotham was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible