Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and…

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (2008)

by Mary Roach

English (171)  Dutch (1)  All languages (172)
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach

★★★★

This was an incredibly fun, although a sometimes awkward, book. I am not a big science reader (I barely passed in college, if at all) but Mary Roach has a way of making things fun and light and educational, all at the same time. I could not get enough of this book, even though at times I found myself crossing my legs as the descriptions alone made me feel pain. I definitely enjoyed Roach’s thoughts and commentary throughout; she had me laughing so hard at times. I found this book so amusing and enlightening that I actually read the entire book out loud to my husband, who also found it great – although I can only imagine what my surrounding neighbors in the complex, as they walked by my open window, were thinking as they heard me reading this one to my husband! This was my first book by Mary Roach but it definitely won’t be the last.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Science writer Mary Roach takes on the sensitive subject of sex in this well researched book. The anatomy of both male and female sexual organs and their responses to stimuli are presented with, at times, excruciatingly painstaking, and I do mean "pain", detail but always with a great deal of Roach's humor. To her credit she offered herself, and surprisingly her husband at one point, as a research subject several times. The book is full of respected scientists as well as quirky quacks and an amazing array of equipment, medications and toys used to enhance one's libido. This is my second book by Roach ("Stiff" being the first) and I will definitely read the rest of them eventually. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Sandra Burr

Like she did for death and digestion, Roach educates and entertains in her third book, this time focusing on sex. She recounts various studies, from Kinsey and Masters & Johnson, to those that are known mostly only in scientific or medical journals, and “sacrificed” by agreeing to participate in more than one procedure designed to investigate the most intimate of acts.

I found it both interesting and entertaining, not the least because Roach gives us ALL the information we could possibly want, but also because she includes some very witty asides (do NOT skip the footnotes!).

Sandra Burr did a fine job on the audio version. Her pacing is good and she gives just the right mix of gravity and light-hearted fun to the text.
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
Rating 3.25

In this book, Mary Roach discusses the Ins and outs of Sex. She travels all over the world to find people doing the most studies on sex. She travels to Taiwan to see a Doctor who removes veins to help blood flow to the member. She also talks to a doctor who inserts silicone rods to help it stand up. She also discusses Marie Bonaparte quest to reach orgasm. Having her organs manipulated multiple times did not help her at all. The climax of this story was the comparison between primates and humans and our drives. This book gets down and dirty but keeps it clean all at the same time. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Rating 3.25

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Ms. Roach does, however, clutter “Bonk” with so many long, chatty footnotes that she underscores how spotty and disorganized her material is

Surprisingly fun & informative, best when enjoyed with friends/spouse/significant other

Mary Roachprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Woody
A man sits in a room, manipulating his kneecaps.
The first prize must go to the Deodorizing and Sound-Muffling Anal Pad. The patent's background material details the sad decline of the human anal sphincter muscle, whose gripping capacity fades as we age. The absorbing Layer is said to "trap the sound of a flatus," as though one might later drive it to a less populated area and release it.
There are also inflatable, rather than malleable, penile implants. Here you don't bend the penis, you pump it up. The surgeon implants a small bladder of saline or air above the pubic bone. This gets pumped into the implant by means of a hollow, squeezable bulb implanted in the scrotum and attached to the prothesis by a plastic tube. Inflatables are more popular because—unlike a malleable implant—they enlarge the girth of a penis, as would happen in an unaided erection. To many men, it seems more natural—except, of course, for the scrotum-squeezing aspect of the event
This book is a tribute to the men and women who dared. Who, to this day, endure ignorance, closed minds, righteousness, and prudery. Their lives are not easy. But their cocktail parties are the best.
Cheese crumbs spread in front of a copulating pair of rats may distract the female, but not the male.

“Rich in dexterous innuendo, laugh-out-loud humor and illuminating fact. It’s compulsively readable.” —Los Angeles Times Book Review

The best-selling author of Stiff turns her outrageous curiosity and insight on the most alluring scientific subject of all: sex.

16 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:13 -0400)

Roach shows how and why sexual arousal and orgasm can be so hard to achieve and what science is doing to make the bedroom a more satisfying place.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393064646, 0393334791

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847672264, 1847672361

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,214,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible