Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and…

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (2008)

by Mary Roach

English (155)  Dutch (1)  All languages (156)
(CEDUTO). Minore rispetto a 'Stecchiti', anche se l'impianto del libro è analogo. Pout-pourri di informazioni il cui filo conduttore sembrano link successivi su Google, il libro cerca di essere spiritoso, e vi riesce in modo limitato e forzato - l'unica battuta davvero ridanciana è relegata ad una nota, e non è farina del sacco della scrittrice. Il resto del libro è interessante come possono esserlo gli IgNobel (www.improb.com). ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
A typically Roachian treatment, this time of sex and sex research. Like her other books, at times hilarious, at other times completely cringeworthy. If you're a fan, don't miss this one. If you've never read her stuff before, maybe don't start here. ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Loved it! Mary Roach approached what could be an awkward topic with humor and made it interesting. There were times when I shuddered (men, don't read some of the footnotes around the surgery chapters) but overall, it was an interesting book with stuff that, while not necessary to know, is definitely cool! ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
This book gets 5 glorious, luminous stars, because it was amazing.
Hilarious!! Who knew the science of sex could be so funny?

She put this subject, of which most people refuse to speak, into terms that I as a novice could understand.

I also have never made so many facial expressions as i did when i read this book, and I read it mainly on the bus, so I'm sure people thought I was crazy. I cringed, I laughed, I tried not to gag, and overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
After getting over the giggles and settled down to read this seriously, I found this book educational, interesting and jaw-dropping. If I'd recorded the soundtrack of me reading this it would be full of giggles, gasps, oh my gods and ewws. Anyone listening would assume I was Bonking, instead of reading about it.

Mary Roach fully immerses herself in her research, even taking part in some studies to experience the experiments for herself. I feel for her husband. Being married to her can mean finding yourself chatting to a strange man watching you having sex with your mad wife inside an MRI machine.

Her witty commentary on the history of sex research shows the people behind the white coats weren't all perverts and had a genuine scientific curiosity about sex, the most taboo subject in the world no matter time or place you live in. The negative effect this had on both their careers and their personal lives was sometimes staggering.

However, some of the experiments on animals...err...well, they were uncomfortable to read. Roach only reported on the humane ones but even those -I was questioning where the line between science and bestiality is, if there is one. I'm sorry, researchers but there was a gigantic EWW! moment involving a female primate. It was too weird.

Being female I was most interested in the female chapters than the male which tended to drag for me although penis re-attachment surgery was most...enlightening. *coughs to hide smile*

Certain statistics, anecdotes and trivia (e.g. items removed from naughty places that can't be explained without embarrassment) were spread throughout the book, many of which were in the footnotes so whatever you do, pay attention to those even if you, like some, don't particularly like Roach's writing. Her sense of humour won't be to everyone's taste, for me it's more hit than miss but I can understand why some see it as forced, trying too hard to evoke a laugh from her audience.

In an ideal world I'd want to give this to teenagers as part of their sex education. Anyone who might assume this is just some smutty perverted book just by looking at the cover, is wrong. Neither is it dry and boring, there will be no Zzzz's whilst reading this. If anything I'd warn people: You must have a strong stomach. There are graphic descriptions of surgical procedures that will have you involuntarily crossing your legs in sympathy.

So if you want to read about how men get erections, why some women orgasm and others don't then this book is for you. Have fun and try not to puke. ( )
1 vote Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Ms. Roach does, however, clutter “Bonk” with so many long, chatty footnotes that she underscores how spotty and disorganized her material is

Surprisingly fun & informative, best when enjoyed with friends/spouse/significant other

Mary Roachprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Woody
A man sits in a room, manipulating his kneecaps.
The first prize must go to the Deodorizing and Sound-Muffling Anal Pad. The patent's background material details the sad decline of the human anal sphincter muscle, whose gripping capacity fades as we age. The absorbing Layer is said to "trap the sound of a flatus, " as though one might later drive it to a less populated area and release it.
There are also inflatable, rather than malleable, penile implants. Here you don't bend the penis, you pump it up. The surgeon implants a small bladder of saline or air above the pubic bone. This gets pumped into the implant by means of a hollow, squeezable bulb implanted in the scrotum and attached to the prothesis by a plastic tube. Inflatables are more popular because--unlike a malleable implant--they enlarge the girth of a penis, as would happen in an unaided erection. To many men, it seems more natural--except, of course, for the scrotum-squeezing aspect of the event
This book is a tribute to the men and women who dared. Who, to this day, endure ignorance, closed minds, righteousness, and prudery. Their lives are not easy. But their cocktail parties are the best.
Cheese crumbs spread in front of a copulating pair of rats may distract the female, but not the male.

“Rich in dexterous innuendo, laugh-out-loud humor and illuminating fact. It’s compulsively readable.” —Los Angeles Times Book Review

The best-selling author of Stiff turns her outrageous curiosity and insight on the most alluring scientific subject of all: sex.

16 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:33 -0400)

Roach shows how and why sexual arousal and orgasm can be so hard to achieve and what science is doing to make the bedroom a more satisfying place.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393064646, 0393334791

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847672264, 1847672361

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,464,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible