Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and…

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (2008)

by Mary Roach

English (152)  Dutch (1)  All languages (153)
I won't easily forget this book for teaching me about the existence of clitoridal smegma. Yep, that's exactly the kind of book it is: the usual Mary Roach mix of scientific facts and dry humour on delicate subjects. I enjoyed this one (on "Sex and Genitals") but not as much as her other books which I've read so far (on "Corpses" and "Our Digestive System", respectively. Probably because there's less of a thrill on seeing prurient topics described with candour and humour this one round. ( )
  fist | Sep 13, 2014 |
There's absolutely no doubt that Ms. Roach is an amazing Science writer who can keep any topic both entertaining and educating at the same time.

In this book, the author provides a scientific perspective of the sex and its associates/accessories. Knowing about the changes that happen in our bodies during sex was truly remarkable. "Hard" questions like 'what is an orgasm', 'what actually is an erection' are discussed at length.

The book takes us on a 'deep dive' on the female genitalia and how to actually 'impress' it. I had quite a few 'aha' and 'oh really?' moments while reading these parts. The paragraphs that show the similarities between the genitals of the two sexes was just mind blowing.

The book taught me a few things about me, my partner and the humans in general. The book ends by saying 'gays (female and male, in order) are the better lovers than heterosexuals'. We definitely have to learn things from them, I guess. ( )
  nmarun | Jul 27, 2014 |
Amusing and educational. I really enjoyed the results of Mary Roach's research and her sense of humor. I strongly recommend her book. ( )
  GlennBell | Jun 12, 2014 |
Refreshingly frank and often hilarious, this book takes sex out of the darkened boudoir and puts it on the table. While fairly scientific in nature, the language is playful and stripped of any embarrassment, showing how prudish earlier scholarly looks at sex really were. ( )
  emilyingreen | May 28, 2014 |
Entertainingly written, but not as good as her other books. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Ms. Roach does, however, clutter “Bonk” with so many long, chatty footnotes that she underscores how spotty and disorganized her material is

Surprisingly fun & informative, best when enjoyed with friends/spouse/significant other

Mary Roachprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Woody
A man sits in a room, manipulating his kneecaps.
The first prize must go to the Deodorizing and Sound-Muffling Anal Pad. The patent's background material details the sad decline of the human anal sphincter muscle, whose gripping capacity fades as we age. The absorbing Layer is said to "trap the sound of a flatus, " as though one might later drive it to a less populated area and release it.
There are also inflatable, rather than malleable, penile implants. Here you don't bend the penis, you pump it up. The surgeon implants a small bladder of saline or air above the pubic bone. This gets pumped into the implant by means of a hollow, squeezable bulb implanted in the scrotum and attached to the prothesis by a plastic tube. Inflatables are more popular because--unlike a malleable implant--they enlarge the girth of a penis, as would happen in an unaided erection. To many men, it seems more natural--except, of course, for the scrotum-squeezing aspect of the event
This book is a tribute to the men and women who dared. Who, to this day, endure ignorance, closed minds, righteousness, and prudery. Their lives are not easy. But their cocktail parties are the best.
Cheese crumbs spread in front of a copulating pair of rats may distract the female, but not the male.

“Rich in dexterous innuendo, laugh-out-loud humor and illuminating fact. It’s compulsively readable.” —Los Angeles Times Book Review

The best-selling author of Stiff turns her outrageous curiosity and insight on the most alluring scientific subject of all: sex.

16 illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:33 -0400)

Roach shows how and why sexual arousal and orgasm can be so hard to achieve and what science is doing to make the bedroom a more satisfying place.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393064646, 0393334791

Canongate Books

Two editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 1847672264, 1847672361

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible