The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book (edition 2008)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave Mckean (Illustrator)

12,473893194 (4.19)1 / 1009
Member:creative.mother
Title:The Graveyard Book
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave Mckean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (FFortuna)
    Johnny and the Dead by Terry Pratchett (brianjungwi, fugitive)

English (872)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (887)
This was great fun. The graveyard is peopled with interesting characters and the author's introduction of the ghosts with the use of their epitaphs is clever. Other fascinating details used throughout the story lent it a warm, whimsical feel. Truly a delightful read. ( )
  penelopemarzec | Sep 26, 2014 |
Lots of people were thrilled about this book saying it was spectacular and whatnot.
I was a bit disappointed after reading this book, it didn't really fulfil my expectations.
But it was a good coming of age story and it had the unique twist that made it fun and quirky.
I liked this book a lot and I read it in about 2 sitting but for me it wasn't all that spectacular. ( )
  lisa.isselee | Sep 26, 2014 |
I expected to like this a lot more because I've heard such great things about Neil Gaiman, but I think this was maybe a stretch too far below my reading level. I thought the premise and story were interesting, but the pace was a bit slow. I didn't get too wrapped up in this world, and I think I could have if Gaiman had done more showing than telling. I would have liked to see more detail. ( )
  | Sep 23, 2014 | edit |
This is the first Neil Gaiman book I have read and I’m sad to say I’m disappointed. Though it’s highly regarded I found it to be rather boring. I was tempted to abandon it after 50 pages but I persevered. The only reason why I’m giving this two stars instead of one is that the original idea was good and there were parts that drew me in but then it always lost me again.

The story was disjointed and episodic in nature. It went off in different directions that were either not resolved or unsatisfactorily explained. The lack of realism in the fact that I doubt a baby could crawl out of its cot, out of the house and down the road into a graveyard at what must have been lightening speed not to be caught by the man Jack, was ill conceived. Also the reason for Bod’s family’s death didn’t seem feasible or at least wasn’t revealed in enough detail, especially the workings of the Jack-of-all-trades.

It's almost as if Gaiman's popularity (and therefore money-making ability) meant that the publishers rushed to publish this book without so much as glancing at it first, when really they should've hired a team of editors to help whip it into shape fit enough for public consumption.

I feel this will serve better as a movie rather than a book. I hear it has been recently picked up by writer/director Neil Jordan (Interview with the Vampire, The Company of Wolves) and is due out in 2011. I look forward to seeing how he transfers The Graveyard Book to the silver screen hopefully updating and expanding on this poor book.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
The Graveyard book...sounds pretty boring/scary, right? Well, your wrong because this story is about venturing out of your human cocoon and seeing what the outside world is like. Even if that means you have to keep running away from some scary dude who keeps trying to kill you(keep in mind that he already killed your parents). Oh yeah, even if all you knew came from a couple of ghosts. what would you do if you had no idea who you were? Read...if you dare. ( )
  JaFi14 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Gaiman's narratives tend toward the episodic, and there are chapters of The Graveyard Book that could stand alone as discrete short stories. All the better for reading at bedtime, though, and what's lost in forward momentum is more than made up for by the outrageous riches of Gaiman's imagination
added by timspalding | editGuardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 25, 2008)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060530928, Hardcover)

In The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman has created a charming allegory of childhood. Although the book opens with a scary scene--a family is stabbed to death by "a man named Jack” --the story quickly moves into more child-friendly storytelling. The sole survivor of the attack--an 18-month-old baby--escapes his crib and his house, and toddles to a nearby graveyard. Quickly recognizing that the baby is orphaned, the graveyard's ghostly residents adopt him, name him Nobody ("Bod"), and allow him to live in their tomb. Taking inspiration from Kipling’s The Jungle Book, Gaiman describes how the toddler navigates among the headstones, asking a lot of questions and picking up the tricks of the living and the dead. In serial-like episodes, the story follows Bod's progress as he grows from baby to teen, learning life’s lessons amid a cadre of the long-dead, ghouls, witches, intermittent human interlopers. A pallid, nocturnal guardian named Silas ensures that Bod receives food, books, and anything else he might need from the human world. Whenever the boy strays from his usual play among the headstones, he finds new dangers, learns his limitations and strengths, and acquires the skills he needs to survive within the confines of the graveyard and in wider world beyond. (ages 10 and up) -–Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible