The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave Mckean (Illustrator)

13,879972150 (4.18)1 / 1091
Member:creative.mother
Title:The Graveyard Book
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave Mckean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Childhood and adolescent,murdered parents, supernatural, cultural and social isolation, ghosts - any Potter fan would love this quaint coming of age story.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (FFortuna)

Ghosts (2)

English (953)  German (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (970)
I read this as part of a challenge through the school I work at. At first when I saw it I thought it looked nothing like anything I would ever choose to read, but once I started reading I couldn't put down. ( )
  Kimwallace | Apr 27, 2016 |
I really suspended judgment about this book for a long time because I had heard mixed things before I read it, but this was great. Bod is a cool kid. He's a little idealistic but sweet and fights for the people he loves. Gaiman's writing is superb. "I want to see life. I want to hold it in my hands. I want to leave a footprint on the sand of a desert island. I want to play football with people. I want,' he said, and then he paused and he thought. ' I want everything." Silas is also a highly complex character and really enjoyable to follow. Lots of great themes of good v evil, life and death, and everything in its time. ( )
  CALammert | Apr 23, 2016 |
Another gem from Gaiman. He is one of my favorite authors for a reason. I love the way he combines ideas of very ancient mythos interacting with a more modern world. ( )
  thomnottom | Apr 21, 2016 |
Summary: After the lose of his parents a toddler goes into a graveyard full of ghosts and other creatures, the creatures decide to raise the young boy.

Personal Reaction: I love reading paranormal books. they fill me with excitement thinking that there may be something else out there among us. this is a great book for younger kids that want to read something paranormal

Extension Ideas:
1. all the kids could make ghosts and other creatures to decorate the classroom at Halloween time.
2. we could explore the history of these creatures
  nataliegent | Apr 20, 2016 |
Neil Gaiman can write no wrongs. Accessible for tweens, enjoyable for kids. Nuanced with both depth and effervescence, it combines elements of suspense, longing and bittersweetness. Chewy, loads of characters and a satisfying ending.
  angiestahl | Apr 11, 2016 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Gaiman's narratives tend toward the episodic, and there are chapters of The Graveyard Book that could stand alone as discrete short stories. All the better for reading at bedtime, though, and what's lost in forward momentum is more than made up for by the outrageous riches of Gaiman's imagination
added by timspalding | editGuardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 25, 2008)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.
added by lampbane | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Information

Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060530928, Hardcover)

In The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman has created a charming allegory of childhood. Although the book opens with a scary scene--a family is stabbed to death by "a man named Jack” --the story quickly moves into more child-friendly storytelling. The sole survivor of the attack--an 18-month-old baby--escapes his crib and his house, and toddles to a nearby graveyard. Quickly recognizing that the baby is orphaned, the graveyard's ghostly residents adopt him, name him Nobody ("Bod"), and allow him to live in their tomb. Taking inspiration from Kipling’s The Jungle Book, Gaiman describes how the toddler navigates among the headstones, asking a lot of questions and picking up the tricks of the living and the dead. In serial-like episodes, the story follows Bod's progress as he grows from baby to teen, learning life’s lessons amid a cadre of the long-dead, ghouls, witches, intermittent human interlopers. A pallid, nocturnal guardian named Silas ensures that Bod receives food, books, and anything else he might need from the human world. Whenever the boy strays from his usual play among the headstones, he finds new dangers, learns his limitations and strengths, and acquires the skills he needs to survive within the confines of the graveyard and in wider world beyond. (ages 10 and up) -–Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:56 -0400)

Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible