The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

17,9201149178 (4.18)1 / 1276
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
Member:librarygrrrl
Title:The Graveyard Book
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read, owned, fiction, YA, dead people, ghosts, coming of age

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (MyriadBooks)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

Ghosts (2)
To Read (18)

English (1,130)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,148)
This is a really delightful book, would recommend for any age.

Gaiman always strikes me as a bit of a balance: always clever, inventive, sometimes a bit cute, sometimes a bit gothy (for lack of a better way to put that), always a bit meta-interested in story, and I sometimes feel like he's about 2 degrees of tilt from going too far in any of those directions.

This is one is perfect.

Charming, but not cloying. Surprising, without feeling like it was manipulated to be so. Gaiman's core story and characters here are deft and natural-feeling, enough so that he can quietly insert some jokes (like the classic mummy/vampire/werewolf mashup, or the Jacks) without abrading the reader. The detail-work here is delightful, setting up a whole atmosphere of calm, shot through with vivid little snippets and a kind of horrific-comic tone, or comic-horrific, that might be Gaiman's signature move: in anyone else's hands it would collapse into Burton-esque vaudeville, but here the innocence of the protagonist, and the general plain goodness that surrounds him, allows us to run into murderers and monsters, ghouls and night-gaunts, in a way that keeps the horror, delighting fantasy, and quiet humor running simultaneously.

Structurally, the novel is also about three quarters of the way to a fix-up--many of the chapters could sort-of kind-of stand on their own--while preserving an overall arc and a satisfying ending. It strikes me as an unusual thing to see done well: the story neither loses its place nor feels like it's rushing you anywhere in particular. Following a child both closely and believably from age 2 to 17 or so is also quite a trick.

It's scattered throughout with ringing little lines and phrases, without feeling flowery or distracting. Really a beautiful read, a pastiche-free homage to childhood and reading itself. ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
I heard many many many good things about this book, and since I'm a tremendous fan of Mr. Gaiman, I knew I had to pick it up.
  DanielleBates | Sep 16, 2020 |
Two things prompted me to read this book now: one, Tim Ferriss announces this book before the start of every episode of his podcast. He said it was a fantastic book. The best way to read it was to listen to the author read it. The other reason I picked up this book was to find a book for the Modern Mrs. Darcy reading challenge. I had to find a Newbery Award Winner book. I did not know what I would be reading when I picked up Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book*, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is a fun book to read for audiences of all ages even though it is targeted for young adults. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Iacobaci, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parpola, InkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plouhinec, Valérie LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Towfik, Ahmed KhaledTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Arabic Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Rattle his bones
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,919,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible