The Graveyard Book (Hardcover) by Neil…

The Graveyard Book (Hardcover) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Neil Gaiman (Author) Dave Mckean (Illustrator)

18,3831167179 (4.17)1 / 1280
Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
Member:tfoxwell
Title:The Graveyard Book (Hardcover)
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author) Dave Mckean (Illustrator)
Info:

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (MyriadBooks)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (kaledrina)

Ghosts (2)
To Read (18)

English (1,146)  German (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,164)
Ho trovato un Neil Gaiman un po' fuori forma in questo romanzo. Insomma, le idee sono quelle: sempre molto affascinanti e sottilmente inquietanti, però per la prima volta, come dire? Le ho trovate un po'... oh mio dio, non riesco neanche a dirlo quando parlo di Gaiman... le ho trovate ripetitive. Non credo che siano le idee in loro stesse ad avermi disturbato, quanto, forse, il contesto in cui sono inserite... si, perché qui è la costruzione stessa del romanzo che non funziona. La storia si trascina per quasi tutta la sua lunghezza attraverso capitoli quasi autoconclusivi senza una coerenza interna, anzi, molti di essi mi sembrano addirittura aggiunti a posteriori per giustificare alcune soluzioni narrative sucessive (Neil, questo non è da te... me lo sarei aspettato dal Dimitri di "Pan", ma non da te) e inoltre manca un background:il "non narrato" che da profondità alla storia che è proprio una delle caratteristiche che hanno reso Gaiman un grande scrittore, quella profondità che magari, nel racconto, viene solo accennata ma che il lettore percepisce e ci regala la sensazione che dietro la storia ci sia un vero e proprio universo. Niente di tutto questo è presente ne "il figlio del cimitero", che risulta quindi un'opera molto vuota. Forse Neil Gaiman dovrebbe abbandonare per un po' la narrativa per ragazzi e dedicarsi di nuovo a quella per adulti, quella che, a partire da Sandman fino a American Gods, ci ha fatto spaventare e sognare...
  JoeProtagoras | Jan 28, 2021 |
Nobody Owens is a boy who lives in a graveyard and has been granted Freedom of the Graveyard. He came to live with the supernatural beings here because when he was a little baby, his family was killed. This book logs all the adventures Nobody (Bod) encounters as he grows into a young adult. The spirits and his guardian do their best to prepare Bod for life outside of the graveyard, but when will that day come? ( )
  abbeyzens | Jan 24, 2021 |

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this one, and I think it would make a great family read/bedtime reading. ⁠

“You're alive, Bod. That means you have infinite potential. You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you can change the world, the world will change. Potential. Once you're dead, it's gone. Over. You've made what you've made, dreamed your dream, written your name. You may be buried here, you may even walk. But that potential is finished.”

Despite being set in a graveyard, the book isn't too chilling, but actually shows a lot of family bonding and love!

The storytelling is phenomenal and perfect for getting to know all of those creepy characters without the fear factor. There are many comparisons between this read and The Jungle Book, which I noticed while reading, then found out after was intentional buy Gaiman. ⁠

Bod, aka Nobody Owens, is adopted by ghostly couple after he wanders into the graveyard as a toddler, following the murder of his whole family. ⁠Bod is raised by the Graveyard and all of its spooky inhabitants, going on several spooky adventures with his friends. ⁠But his most dangerous escapades lie outside the cemetery gates!⁠

This book is brilliant, because as well as being highly entertaining, it is teaching strong values in confidence and potential, and touching on sensitive topics such as suicide, in the same way youth do- approaching it with curiosity and plain honesty.

“Face your life, its pain, its pleasure, leave no path untaken.”

Have you read this? Have any other Gaiman faves? We actually own a lot on our shelves, so I think it's past time I got to reading them!⁠⁠

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on The Graveyard Book. Have you read this? Tell me what you thought!

Feel free to comment below or on my 'bookstagram' at @ReadWithWine .
This review was originally posted on ReadWithWine ( )
  readwithwine | Jan 18, 2021 |
I read this with my six-year-old son and loved it. Part ghost story, part mystery, part coming-of-age tale, it's peacefully slow paced, a little creepy, and oddly gentle for the danger that suffuses it. My nine-year-old daughter's reading it now, and I'll look forward to reading it again on my own in the future. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Per my usual response to Gaiman's books, I liked the parts more than the whole. I loved the characters and most of the story lines, but something just didn't work for me. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it, though. I want to absolutely love Gaimans' books, and usually come away feeling impressed, happy to have read it, but somehow not quite blown away. It may be the ecstatic book jacket blurbs; I just can't say this was the best book of the year.

I made this review much more negative than I'd intended. I liked the book and really loved the idea. I'm glad to have read it and will recommend it to other people. I think my expectations are too high for Gaiman and I keep coming away from his novels a bit let down.

Course evaluation:

Personal Response: I enjoyed this dark story about growing up and facing our greatest fears. Bod is a likable character and I wanted to see him succeed and find happiness. I also related to his hesitance of stepping outside of the graveyard, his home, in order to learn more about himself and the world.

Evaluation: Gaiman creates a detailed world, giving this story a setting that is believable yet grounded in fantasy. Just as Bod straddles the world of the living and dead, the story jumps between them with ease; neither world feels fake or forced in any way. The plot is suspenseful, dialogue realistic and appropriate for each character, and the characterization is well written. The story follows Bod from his infancy until he turns about 16; readers will relate to Bod’s emotions and frustrations at various ages. McKean’s few illustrations evoke the shadows of the graveyard, transparency of the ghosts, and dark elements of the plot. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

When the chilling moments do come, they are as genuinely frightening as only Gaiman can make them, and redeem any shortcomings.

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Iacobaci, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parpola, InkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plouhinec, Valérie LeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Towfik, Ahmed KhaledTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Arabic Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Rattle his bones
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,504,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible