A temető könyve by Neil Gaiman

A temető könyve (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Neil Gaiman, Zoltán Pék (Translator)

14,7381023135 (4.19)1 / 1166
Member:TheCrow2
Title:A temető könyve
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Zoltán Pék (Translator)
Info:Agave
Rating:****1/2
Tags:regény, novel

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Book of Lost Things: A Novel by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Childhood and adolescent,murdered parents, supernatural, cultural and social isolation, ghosts - any Potter fan would love this quaint coming of age story.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (FFortuna)

Ghosts (2)

English (1,005)  German (3)  All (2)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All (1,023)
Reading Gaiman is an experience. If you've read any of his work, you know you are entering a dense world of the author's creation, one that is at times funny, other times terrifying, and even more so exhilarating. The Graveyard Book has a carousel of characters, alive and dead, each one of them fully fleshed out (I'm not going to swing low with a pun). ( )
  JaredOrlando | Apr 25, 2017 |
The Graveyard book is, in my opinion, Neil Gaiman's best novel. American Gods was a literary darling, sure, but The Graveyard Book is genuine, and heart-felt.

The Graveyard Book makes you feel like a child again. It's ingenious short-story format makes you feel--really feel the passage of time, and the growth of this boy. When the ending comes you feel as if you've grown up alongside him, and you cry for him, and for yourself. You cry for your misspent youth, and the deep craving you have to get it back. A craving so pulsating and persistent that it threatens to burst from your chest and flow from your eyes, and swallow you whole.

A craving you know can never be satiated.

Eventually this book begins to fade a little from your memory, and the craving dies down to a sad, sweet melancholy that blankets the world in a dull ache of nostalgia.

You may realize then that you are watching movies you used to love as a child, or trying to get in touch with old friends long forgot. And that is the moment when you also realize that, yes, a silly little kid's book has had that big an impact on you as an adult. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
This is the Gaiman that I was looking for. The benevolently spooky backdrop--we all know that I'm a sucker for the posthumous, as it were--the sort of out-of-time setting, the mix of the morbid and the charming, it was all that I wanted. I could definitely sense the strains of Diana Wynne Jones in this as well, which soothed my heart to no end. I liked the episodic nature of the chapters. They all had a role to play in the overarching plot, but in the beginning they often felt like those low-stakes/no-stakes sort of stories you read as a young kid about a child at a boarding school, where an "adventure" takes place or a "lesson" is learned. Only this time the little lesson takes place in a graveyard and involves ghoul-speech, and the adventure is deep into a crypt guarded by fearful ancient magic. It's a fucking delight, is what it is. ( )
1 vote likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
  JaredOrlando | Mar 29, 2017 |
I really enjoyed The Graveyard Book while I was reading it. The story and characters held my attention and it was a short, fast read. Having finished it, I do wish there had been more meat to it. The story had a reasonably satisfying if bittersweet end, but there were things that could have been fleshed out better and I wish the book had a sequel or two. I’d really like to see the characters again and find out what happens next for them. It feels like I was with them for too short of a time.

The story begins just after the parents and older sister of the main character, Nobody, have been murdered. Nobody is a toddler when the book begins, oblivious to what’s going on, and the only reason he isn’t murdered with the rest of his family is because he has a tendency to escape his crib and wander off. Since the murderer left the door to the house open, Nobody is able to wander out of the house and up the hill to a graveyard where he’s protected and raised by the dead who inhabit the graveyard. The author was inspired by The Jungle Book, which explains the title.

One particular complaint I have now that I’ve finished is that the underlying motivation for the murder wasn’t explained sufficiently at all. We were given an explanation, yes, but it’s one that brings up more questions than it answers. There were also great secondary characters in this book, and I wish we had seen more of them and learned about them in more detail. That’s really my only complaint with this book. I really enjoyed it, but I was left wanting more. ( )
2 vote YouKneeK | Mar 26, 2017 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

This is a fantasy novel for children and the young at heart however the accompanying illustrations by Dave McKean left me wanting more. I enjoyed Bod's interactions with the graveyard residents; especially when the engraving on their headstone was repeated in the text after their name appears.
For instance:
- Doctor Trefusis (1870-1936, May He Wake to Glory) from Page 96
- Thackeray Porringer (1720-1734, son of the above) from Page 174
- Portunia (They Sleep to Wake Again) on Page 186

My first encounter with Neil Gaiman was several years ago in his Sandman graphic novel series... I started the first one, got too scared and had to put it down. Last year I was reintroduced to his work The Ocean at the End of the Lane in a book club and could not put it down. I heard that The Graveyard Book had a similar tone, so I got it from the library. And it's true!

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104
This is the original prose book. Please don't combine it with any other format (Graphic novel, movie, etc).

Nobody Owens lost his "really" family when he was infant and became adopted by a ghost family in his local cemetery. Aside from having ghosts for parents and guardians he also persued by the mysterious man who killed his family.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060530928, Hardcover)

In The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman has created a charming allegory of childhood. Although the book opens with a scary scene--a family is stabbed to death by "a man named Jack” --the story quickly moves into more child-friendly storytelling. The sole survivor of the attack--an 18-month-old baby--escapes his crib and his house, and toddles to a nearby graveyard. Quickly recognizing that the baby is orphaned, the graveyard's ghostly residents adopt him, name him Nobody ("Bod"), and allow him to live in their tomb. Taking inspiration from Kipling’s The Jungle Book, Gaiman describes how the toddler navigates among the headstones, asking a lot of questions and picking up the tricks of the living and the dead. In serial-like episodes, the story follows Bod's progress as he grows from baby to teen, learning life’s lessons amid a cadre of the long-dead, ghouls, witches, intermittent human interlopers. A pallid, nocturnal guardian named Silas ensures that Bod receives food, books, and anything else he might need from the human world. Whenever the boy strays from his usual play among the headstones, he finds new dangers, learns his limitations and strengths, and acquires the skills he needs to survive within the confines of the graveyard and in wider world beyond. (ages 10 and up) -–Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:56 -0400)

Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.

4 1957
5 1909

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,892,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible