A temető könyve by Neil Gaiman

A temető könyve (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Neil Gaiman, Zoltán Pék (Translator)

12,586897190 (4.19)1 / 1026
Member:TheCrow2
Title:A temető könyve
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Zoltán Pék (Translator)
Info:Agave
Rating:****1/2
Tags:regény, novel

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008)

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (FFortuna, moonstormer)
    The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling (veracity)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (lorax)
    lorax: Beagle's work is not YA, but it is a classic, beautifully written love story involving ghosts and a man living in a cemetary.
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (emperatrix)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (heidialice)
    heidialice: Both are fantastical YA at its best. Gaiman is an acknowledged inspiration for Mieville, and it shows, though he has his own distinctive style and voice.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The House With a Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs (timspalding)
    Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (moonstormer)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (ut.tecum.loquerer)
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (kawika)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (kawika)
    From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury (Ape)
    Ape: Eerily similar stories...
    The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (jonathankws)
    Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (heidialice)
    heidialice: Similar in setting, and both ghost stories, these are very different books, but fans of one should be interested in the other.
    Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (PghDragonMan)
    The Palace of Laughter by Jon Berkeley (FFortuna)
    Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham (keeneam)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (FFortuna)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Childhood and adolescent,murdered parents, supernatural, cultural and social isolation, ghosts - any Potter fan would love this quaint coming of age story.

English (882)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (897)
This book is one of the best I have EVER read, and I say that without hyperbole. I am still teary-eyed, and I cannot hope to capture the amazing feelings the stories left me with -- for make no mistake, while this book is a novel, it is also a collection of wonderful short stories. And since Neil Gaiman, IMO, shines when he writes short stories, it should not surprise me in the least that this book was so perfect.

I will be forever grateful to the librarian who handed me this book when I simply went it to get a copy of "M is for Magic" for a book club reading. Thank you every so much! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
I never thought I'd say this about any book written by Neil Gaiman, but I wasn't very fond of this one. The beginning was really slow and dragged a bit. It was actually somewhat dull until the last few chapters. It picked up by the end, but not enough to give it more than maybe a three and a half star rating. It was a very neat concept, and I adored the characters, but it just didn't do enough with the potential, maybe. I'm not completely sure what it was. I just know that I was kinda bored while reading it throughout the entire first half of the book. Maybe I need to avoid his children's books and just read his adult fare from now on. Yet I adored Coraline. I just don't get it. Makes me sad to say all this, but I wanted to be honest. Sorry. ( )
1 vote VampAmber | Nov 6, 2014 |
Like ghostly watercolors, Gaiman paints glowing images in eight chapters (and an interlude) touching on themes of death, family, and coming of age in this young adult novel. For those familiar with his work, you'll likely find enjoyment in the master storyteller's craft. Some readers might not enjoy the book simply because it's more young than they are adult, and that's an understandable complaint. The book shines in spite of it's flaws and weaknesses, of which there are many. Writing is a demanding art, and it's techniques not easily mastered. But the author's pure ability to simply tell a story is without question, and often without equal. I enjoyed the book, but was not challenged by it. I doubt a younger person will be challenged by it either, but they might be captivated. Worth Reading. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
1 vote wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
Book used for Fantasy or Science Fiction novel assignment. ( )
  kberryman44 | Nov 4, 2014 |
Gaiman writes with charm and humor, and again he has a real winner.
added by lampbane | editVOYA, Rayna Patton (Jul 24, 2009)

Gaiman's narratives tend toward the episodic, and there are chapters of The Graveyard Book that could stand alone as discrete short stories. All the better for reading at bedtime, though, and what's lost in forward momentum is more than made up for by the outrageous riches of Gaiman's imagination
added by timspalding | editGuardian, Patrick Ness (Oct 25, 2008)

Like a bite of dark Halloween chocolate, this novel proves rich, bittersweet and very satisfying.

This is fine work, from beginning to end, and the best bedtime story read-aloud material I've encountered in a long time. Can't wait until my daughter's old enough to read this to.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 10, 2008)

While “The Graveyard Book” will entertain people of all ages, it’s especially a tale for children. Gaiman’s remarkable cemetery is a place that children more than anyone would want to visit. They would certainly want to look for Silas in his chapel, maybe climb down (if they were as brave as Bod) to the oldest burial chamber, or (if they were as reckless) search for the ghoul gate. Children will appreciate Bod’s occasional mistakes and bad manners, and relish his good acts and eventual great ones. The story’s language and humor are sophisticated, but Gaiman respects his readers and trusts them to understand.

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Over the stones
It's only a pauper
Who nobody owns

-- Traditional Nursery Rhyme
There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
Fortinbras Bartleby, ten years old when he had died (of consumption, he had told Bod, who had mistakenly believed for several years that Fortinbras had been eaten by lions or bears, and was extremely disappointed to learn it was merely a disease), now apologized to Bod.
“You’re always you, and that doesn’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”
Nehemiah Trot said, “Ah, list to me, young Leander, young Hero, young Alexander. If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you will have gained.”
“And for that reason, if for no other, it is vital that the child be raised with as little disruption as possible to the, if you’ll forgive the expression, the life of the graveyard.”
"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." p. 104

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060530928, Hardcover)

In The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman has created a charming allegory of childhood. Although the book opens with a scary scene--a family is stabbed to death by "a man named Jack” --the story quickly moves into more child-friendly storytelling. The sole survivor of the attack--an 18-month-old baby--escapes his crib and his house, and toddles to a nearby graveyard. Quickly recognizing that the baby is orphaned, the graveyard's ghostly residents adopt him, name him Nobody ("Bod"), and allow him to live in their tomb. Taking inspiration from Kipling’s The Jungle Book, Gaiman describes how the toddler navigates among the headstones, asking a lot of questions and picking up the tricks of the living and the dead. In serial-like episodes, the story follows Bod's progress as he grows from baby to teen, learning life’s lessons amid a cadre of the long-dead, ghouls, witches, intermittent human interlopers. A pallid, nocturnal guardian named Silas ensures that Bod receives food, books, and anything else he might need from the human world. Whenever the boy strays from his usual play among the headstones, he finds new dangers, learns his limitations and strengths, and acquires the skills he needs to survive within the confines of the graveyard and in wider world beyond. (ages 10 and up) -–Heidi Broadhead

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible