Q & A by Keith R. A. DeCandido
1931294,115 (3.46)None
Captain Jean-Luc Picard takes command of the Enterprise-E nearly twenty years after his first command, but Picard can't shake the feeling that something all too familiar is going on involving his former nemesis, Q.

Intended as a grand event book, the culmination of all the Q encounters of the past (across TNG, VOY, and DS9), the novel succeeds in being readable but not especially rewarding or great.
The 20th anniversary novel for TNG (not mentioned anywhere on the cover, but remarked upon in the Afterward).
What Q&A does best is focus on Miranda Kadohata and Zelik Leybenzon as the new CO and security chief. I'm looking forward to them growing on me, but the start they're given here isn't all-too remarkable, either (introduction of T'Lana as Counselor in the previous novel was memorably handled).
The villain of this piece, the giant threat to not only the universe but the Q Continuum as well, is barely described, and present for about two paragraphs. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
I guess it might be just me, but DeCandido is a terrible writer. I've read another one of his works, "Articles of the Federation" and had trouble getting through that one as well. At first I had assumed that he had been trying to emulate the show 'The West Wing' in novel form and it just didn't work. Now I'm pretty sure it's just his writing. The book started off promisingly but I never felt any attachment to any of the characters and felt the author tried to put in far too many scenarios--he never stuck with one viewpoint long enough for me to really care.

The story involves Q and the end of the universe, literally. What's new, right? How will the Enterprise crew and Captain Picard save everything? Another review said you can't really enjoy this book unless you've seen a lot of 'Star Trek' and I agree. I also think there's a little too much rip-off as well. There are aspects that reminded me very much of the TNG episodes Parallels and All Good Things. Another book, actually called 'Maximum Warp' did a MUCH better job with this scenario, right down to writing chunks of alternate universes.

I was somewhat surprised that Q seemed to be a relatively minor character. Based on the title I had assumed he'd dominate the pages more, but I guess based on the structure of the story it would be hard to do without going into overkill.

Personally I'd recommend 'Maximum Warp' over this book, although that one doesn't have Q featured at all, if I recall correctly. Skip this one. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
If you are a fan of Star Trek, this book is the ultimate “Q” saga. Not only does this book tie together all of the Star Trek Q TV episodes, it expands them into one grand story. Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise have been harassed by Q since they first encountered him during their mission to Farpoint. But that was then and this is now: new crew, new ship and a new adventure but with a far more serious Q. ( )
  Chris177 | Feb 17, 2014 |
This book hit a number of sour notes with me, and while I read it out-of-order with others in the series, I don't believe that was the cause.

This novel felt like one of the series' "clip" episodes, the ones that try and weave footage from episodes past into the current narrative frame. You know, the ones that show up when they've run out of budget and the ones that everyone hates.

By rehashing all of Q's appearances throughout the different storylines, this particular plot brought nothing new to the table; once again, Picard is tossed from ship to ship as in the last episode of the TV series, and must deal with an unknown rift and multiple Enterprises from multiple universes. ( )
  Magentawolf | Aug 1, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,853,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible