Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary

Ramona and Her Father (original 1977; edition 1975)

by Beverly Cleary, Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Ramona and Her Father
Authors:Beverly Cleary (Author)
Other authors:Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)
Info:Avon Camelot (1990), Paperback, 187 pages
Collections:Your library, Child/Youth Books
Rating:****1/2

Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary (1977)

This should probably be three and a half stars, but they won't let me. Rebekah thinks it was better than Ramona the Brave but not as good as Ramona the Pest. I'm not so sure. I do like the way that Cleary shows the relationships between Ramona and her parents. She continues to mature and even is able to convince her dad to quit smoking. Once again, in the end, all is well in the Quimby household despite some serious trouble in the beginning: unemployment, Beezus at a "difficult age," lack of money, and a tired mom. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
49 months - I don't think O was as entertained by this one as I was. But smoking isn't as prevalent now so it's more difficult for a kid, especially a 4 year old, to relate. Also we are not religious so preparing for the nativity scene at church probably didn't mean much to her either. I related it to her ballet recital but Instead of dancing they were dressed in costume and acting like in a movie. I on the other hand could totally relate thinking back on my time in the choir and Christmas programs in Sunday School. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This book is about a girl named Ramona. Her father lost his job and her mom works full time every day and comes home and works even more. she has carved a pumpkin but the cat broke it and she had to eat pumpkin every day because she had not alot of food. she wanted to be in the commercals and get alot of money! She also stuck burrs to her hair trying to make a crown out of them. She was in the church play of mary and josef and she was a sheep. She didn't want to go untill she saw three girls with makeup. The girls where nice and gave her makeup on her nose. In the end she got on stage and did her part. ( )
  tesia.rose3 | Apr 27, 2015 |
Of course every family should read the whole set of Ramona books. But this is probably the best, because Cleary reveals the soul of the family, not just of the spunky little girl. ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Ye-e-ep!" sang Ramona Quimby one warm September afternoon, as she knelt on a chair at the kitchen table to make out her Christmas list.

The family routine is upset during Ramona's year in second grade when her father unexpectedly loses his job.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,164,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible