Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary

Ramona and Her Father (original 1977; edition 1975)

by Beverly Cleary, Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Ramona and Her Father
Authors:Beverly Cleary (Author)
Other authors:Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)
Info:Avon Camelot (1990), Paperback, 187 pages
Collections:Your library, Child/Youth Books
Rating:****1/2

Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary (1977)

I sadly deprived myself of Beverly Cleary books as a child, so I'm making up for lost time. In this Ramona Quimby book, her father is laid off meaning that Ramona spends more time than usual with her father at home. There are a lot of sweet father-daughter moments that touch me as a daddy myself. But Ramona's father can also be cranky and short-tempered, especially from being unemployed and forced to quit smoking by his daughters. It's a funny and timeless book about childhood and family.
Favorite Passages:
I’ll bet that boy’s father wishes he had a little girl who finger-painted and wiped her hands on the cat when she was little and who once cut her own hair so she would be bald like her uncle and who then grew up to be seven years old and crowned herself with burs. Not every father is lucky enough to have a daughter like that. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book would be a great individual reading book for second and third grade students, who are around the same age as the character whose perspective we see the story from--Ramona. It is relatable for them. It would be a book for the stronger readers in class. ( )
  AmandaJH | Mar 10, 2016 |
This should probably be three and a half stars, but they won't let me. Rebekah thinks it was better than Ramona the Brave but not as good as Ramona the Pest. I'm not so sure. I do like the way that Cleary shows the relationships between Ramona and her parents. She continues to mature and even is able to convince her dad to quit smoking. Once again, in the end, all is well in the Quimby household despite some serious trouble in the beginning: unemployment, Beezus at a "difficult age," lack of money, and a tired mom. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
49 months - I don't think O was as entertained by this one as I was. But smoking isn't as prevalent now so it's more difficult for a kid, especially a 4 year old, to relate. Also we are not religious so preparing for the nativity scene at church probably didn't mean much to her either. I related it to her ballet recital but Instead of dancing they were dressed in costume and acting like in a movie. I on the other hand could totally relate thinking back on my time in the choir and Christmas programs in Sunday School. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Ye-e-ep!" sang Ramona Quimby one warm September afternoon, as she knelt on a chair at the kitchen table to make out her Christmas list.

The family routine is upset during Ramona's year in second grade when her father unexpectedly loses his job.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,200,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible