Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary

Ramona and Her Father (original 1977; edition 1975)

by Beverly Cleary (Author), Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Ramona and Her Father
Authors:Beverly Cleary (Author)
Other authors:Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)
Info:Avon Camelot (1990), Paperback, 187 pages
Collections:Your library, Child/Youth Books
Rating:****1/2

Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary (1977)

This was another book that I had not read as a child but had read others in the series. Ramona is still as entertaining now as she was then, but the new (2006) illustrations just do not fit with the 1975 text. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 18, 2017 |
Ramona Quimby wishes her family would perk up. Her cat refuses to eat, her older sister is going through a moody and defiant phase, and her parents worry a lot these days, since her father just lost his job. But if Ramona sets her mind to it, maybe she can find a way to help her father through this rough patch in Ramona and Her Father by author Beverly Cleary.

Just as I remembered from childhood, I found this to be one of the darker Ramona books (although back then, "sadder" is the word I likely would've used.) It's certainly a serious situation for Ramona here, with her family being even more strapped for cash than usual, and her father putting his lungs in danger with cigarettes. (Wow--I'd forgotten all about Ramona's mission against her father's smoking habit! My, does that lead to some parts that prick my heart in a whole new way, now that I can better appreciate how Mr. Quimby must feel.)

But there's still patented Ramona humor and fun in the read, with a heroine whose feelings about things like eating out at Whopperburger are so on point. Plus, seeing how an imperfect Mr. Quimby is a good man who loves and gets a kick out of his daughter makes this a winner of a tale.

Oh--and did I mention this book's delightfully Christmassy ending? ( )
1 vote NadineC.Keels | May 8, 2017 |
Summary: Ramona's father loses his job, and Ramona and her family go through a myriad of emotions during this time. Ramona watches as her father looks for other jobs, and collects unemployment, and her mother finds a job. While dealing with life's set backs such as problems with their car. Concerned about the family's finances, Ramona crosses out many of her Christmas wish list items, and adds a happy family. In the end they overcome many of the obstacles they had faced, as a happy family.
Personal reaction: I thought who wouldn't relate to this story? There have been times in my life as a child, I was concerned about the same or similar things going on, like the loss of a job and a parent smoking, or both parents working and not having time to complete things for pageants, and we improvised.
Classroom extension ideas: create smoking stinks poster, create a comic strip for each chapter, Give students a list of bills and income each month to create a budget. ( )
  TimmyC91 | Dec 3, 2016 |
I sadly deprived myself of Beverly Cleary books as a child, so I'm making up for lost time. In this Ramona Quimby book, her father is laid off meaning that Ramona spends more time than usual with her father at home. There are a lot of sweet father-daughter moments that touch me as a daddy myself. But Ramona's father can also be cranky and short-tempered, especially from being unemployed and forced to quit smoking by his daughters. It's a funny and timeless book about childhood and family.
Favorite Passages:
I’ll bet that boy’s father wishes he had a little girl who finger-painted and wiped her hands on the cat when she was little and who once cut her own hair so she would be bald like her uncle and who then grew up to be seven years old and crowned herself with burs. Not every father is lucky enough to have a daughter like that. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book would be a great individual reading book for second and third grade students, who are around the same age as the character whose perspective we see the story from--Ramona. It is relatable for them. It would be a book for the stronger readers in class. ( )
  AmandaJH | Mar 10, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Ye-e-ep!" sang Ramona Quimby one warm September afternoon, as she knelt on a chair at the kitchen table to make out her Christmas list.

The family routine is upset during Ramona's year in second grade when her father unexpectedly loses his job.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,485,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible