Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary

Ramona and Her Father (original 1977; edition 1975)

by Beverly Cleary (Author), Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)

Member:fuzzi
Title:Ramona and Her Father
Authors:Beverly Cleary (Author)
Other authors:Alan Tiegreen (Illustrator)
Info:Avon Camelot (1990), Paperback, 187 pages
Collections:Your library, Child/Youth Books
Rating:****1/2

Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary (1977)

Summary: Ramona's father loses his job, and Ramona and her family go through a myriad of emotions during this time. Ramona watches as her father looks for other jobs, and collects unemployment, and her mother finds a job. While dealing with life's set backs such as problems with their car. Concerned about the family's finances, Ramona crosses out many of her Christmas wish list items, and adds a happy family. In the end they overcome many of the obstacles they had faced, as a happy family.
Personal reaction: I thought who wouldn't relate to this story? There have been times in my life as a child, I was concerned about the same or similar things going on, like the loss of a job and a parent smoking, or both parents working and not having time to complete things for pageants, and we improvised.
Classroom extension ideas: create smoking stinks poster, create a comic strip for each chapter, Give students a list of bills and income each month to create a budget. ( )
  TimmyC91 | Dec 3, 2016 |
I sadly deprived myself of Beverly Cleary books as a child, so I'm making up for lost time. In this Ramona Quimby book, her father is laid off meaning that Ramona spends more time than usual with her father at home. There are a lot of sweet father-daughter moments that touch me as a daddy myself. But Ramona's father can also be cranky and short-tempered, especially from being unemployed and forced to quit smoking by his daughters. It's a funny and timeless book about childhood and family.
Favorite Passages:
I’ll bet that boy’s father wishes he had a little girl who finger-painted and wiped her hands on the cat when she was little and who once cut her own hair so she would be bald like her uncle and who then grew up to be seven years old and crowned herself with burs. Not every father is lucky enough to have a daughter like that. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book would be a great individual reading book for second and third grade students, who are around the same age as the character whose perspective we see the story from--Ramona. It is relatable for them. It would be a book for the stronger readers in class. ( )
  AmandaJH | Mar 10, 2016 |
This should probably be three and a half stars, but they won't let me. Rebekah thinks it was better than Ramona the Brave but not as good as Ramona the Pest. I'm not so sure. I do like the way that Cleary shows the relationships between Ramona and her parents. She continues to mature and even is able to convince her dad to quit smoking. Once again, in the end, all is well in the Quimby household despite some serious trouble in the beginning: unemployment, Beezus at a "difficult age," lack of money, and a tired mom. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Ye-e-ep!" sang Ramona Quimby one warm September afternoon, as she knelt on a chair at the kitchen table to make out her Christmas list.

The family routine is upset during Ramona's year in second grade when her father unexpectedly loses his job.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,730,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible