The campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

The campaigns of Alexander (edition 1971)

by Arrian

791None11,596 (3.74)17
Member:neilgodfrey
Title:The campaigns of Alexander
Authors:Arrian
Info:Harmondsworth Penguin 1971 430p 19cm pbk Revised [ed.]
Tags:History.Ancient.Greece

The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

Recently added byprivate library, juha, Phoenixangelfire, bookmarkaussie, Gustavus, sancho_panza3, dgeary
Legacy LibrariesT. E. Lawrence

English (7)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
This is the most detailed life of Alexander written by someone with access to the records of his time, which was probably around 150CE. Also it's got lots of battles, and keeps track of some of the changes in the staff and army of the conqueror. If you can only read one, read this one.
The translation is well written in the 1971 edition, which is the one I've got. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 5, 2014 |
I have to admit I struggled to finish this as I didn't find Arrian particularly engaging as a writer, but he is very even-handed with his subject matter. I also appreciate this book because it's an ancient source of information about Alexander, and there aren't many of those around it seems! ( )
  queenozymandia | Apr 4, 2013 |
So let me start with saying that Alexander THE GREAT is truly deserving of “Great”. From stat to finish I was enthralled (there are parts, not so much but very few). The shear scale of battle the audacity and arrogance of the man made him one of the first greats. I mean hell he conquered the known world before he was thirty and then died before he was forty. Here it is over 2500 years later and this man is still considered to be and labeled as "THE GREAT" An excellent book if your a history nerd (like myself) an even more outstanding piece of classical ligature about one of the world first superpower leaders ( )
  a1abwriter | Sep 25, 2012 |
[Aubrey De Selilncourt], tr.; [J.R. Hamilton], ed. ( )
  rolandperkins | Sep 9, 2009 |
although written 400 years after his death, this is considered the best account of Alexander's life and history
  bhowell | Jun 3, 2007 |

Arrianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
De Selincourt, AubreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, J. R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerström, IngemarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is said that Philip died when Pythodemus was archon at Athens, and that his son Alexander, being then about twenty years of age, marched into the Peloponnesus as soon as he had secured the regal power.
Arrian's history of Alexander the Great is our most complete and reliable account of the world's greatest conqueror. Writing in the Roman Empire during the 2nd century AD, Arrian was a Greek historian, philosopher, and military commander. For this work, also known as “The Anabasis of Alexander”, he had access to many sources which are now sadly lost. Thankfully for us, he cites them by name, weighs their truthfulness and motives, and records what he believes to be the most probable story of Alexander's intentions and deeds. The result is a brilliant description of the young Macedonian prince, and of how he conquered most of the known world in just ten years.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible