Rascal by Sterling North

Rascal (1963)

by Sterling North

This is a fun book for 4th to 6th graders to read. It is a story about the adventures of a young boy with his friend/ pet raccoon named Rascal. They go on many adventures and become best friends. This book can teach wonderful lessons about friendship, adventure, loyalty, and an absentminded father relationship. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Nov 25, 2018 |
I read this aloud to my five- and seven-year-old daughters. We loved it. My oldest is a big animal lover, so she especially enjoyed it. I thought the writing was really good and really enjoyed reading it at bedtime. My daughters also loved how it took place in Wisconsin. I would definitely recommend and would like to read more of Sterling North's work. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
The author recalls his carefree life in a small midwestern town at the close of World War I, and his adventures with his pet raccoon, Rascal.
  unsoluble | Feb 1, 2018 |
A beautiful memoir. I loved this book as a child, and re-reading it was a bit of a reunion with an old friend. I also discovered depths that hadn't meant quite the same thing to me in those earlier reads, including Sterling North's references to the shadow cast by World War 1, and his worries about his big brother, who was fighting overseas. Just discovered that the book inspired a Japanese anime series, which inspired the person who wrote the following account of traveling from Japan to visit Sterling North's childhood home: http://www.gojefferson.com/rascal/shimbun.html ( )
  lycaenidae | Jan 2, 2018 |
One of my favorite books of all time! ( )
  LaurelPoe | Dec 25, 2017 |

Sterling Northprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burger, CarlIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muehlon, IreneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindler, EdithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

"A very interesting book could be written about the Raccoon and, with its industrious energy and resourcefulness, it deserves to be elevated to the status of the National Emblem in place of the parasitical, carrion-feeding Bald Eagle." - Ivan T. Sanderson in Living Mammals of the World
For Gladys, my constant companion in watching our wilderness world.
It was in May, 1918, that a new friend and companion came into my life: a character, a personality, and a ring-tailed wonder.
Should not be combined the the simplified Little Rascal.

Skunks, woodchucks, a crow named Poe, an absentminded father, and an 18-foot, half-finished canoe filling the living room - welcome to the North home! Rascal is only a baby when Sterling brings him home to join the menagerie. But soon the mischievous raccoon is ready to join Sterling in swimming, fishing, and camping excursions. They're partners and best friends for a perfect year of adventure - until the spring day when suddenly everything changes.

Rascal is only a baby when young Sterling brings him home. He and the mischievous raccoon are best friends for a perfect year of adventure?until the spring day when everything suddenly changes.

A Newbery Honor Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,491,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible