Quinte-Curce De la vie et des actions…

Quinte-Curce De la vie et des actions d'Alexandre le Grand

by Quintus Curtius Rufus

English (8)  Spanish (2)  All languages (10)
"For the present I advise you to begin a course of antient history, reading every thing in the original and not in translations. First read Goldsmith’s history of Greece. This will give you a digested view of that feild. Then take up antient history in the detail, reading the following books in the following order. Herodotus. Thucydides. Xenophontis hellenica. Xenophontis Anabasis. Quintus Curtius. Justin. This shall form the first stage of your historical reading, and is all I need mention to you now." - Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 19 Aug. 1785 [PTJ 8: 405-408]
  ThomasJefferson | May 26, 2014 |
A thinner Book than the life by Arrian, and more general purpose. The same story as Plutarch and Arrian. But We should have this work for completeness.
The original was probably extant by 70 CE. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 24, 2014 |

Rufus, Quintus Curtiusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Atkinson, John E.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freinshémius, Jeansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Alexander the Great (356-323 BC), who led the Macedonian army to victory in Egypt, Syria, Persia and India, was perhaps the most successful conqueror the world has ever seen. Yet although no other individual has attracted so much speculation across the centuries, Alexander himself remains an enigma. Curtius' Historyoffers a great deal of information unobtainable from other sources of the time. A compelling narrative of a turbulent era, the work recounts events on a heroic scale, detailing court intrigue, stirring speeches and brutal battles - among them, those of Macedonia's Great War with Persia, which was to culminate in Alexander's final triumph over King Darius and the defeat of an ancient and mighty empire. It also provides by far the most plausible and haunting portrait of Alexander we possess- a brilliantly realized image of a man ruined by constant good fortune in his youth.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible