And Eternity (Incarnations of Immortality,…

And Eternity (Incarnations of Immortality, Book 7) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Piers Anthony, Piers A. Jacob

Member:G_Riv
Title:And Eternity (Incarnations of Immortality, Book 7)
Authors:Piers Anthony
Other authors:Piers A. Jacob
Info:Harper Voyager (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:*1/2
Tags:speculative

And Eternity by Piers Anthony (1990)

Anthony (10) Book 7 (7) deities (5) ebook (10) fantasy (373) fantasy fiction (7) fiction (140) God (18) gods (10) good (10) hardcover (12) immortality (5) Incarnations (27) Incarnations of Immortality (136) magic (12) mmpb (6) mythology (13) novel (13) own (11) paperback (24) Piers Anthony (21) read (33) religion (13) science fiction (63) series (47) sf (14) sff (36) speculative fiction (7) to-read (9) unread (9)

This is the last of this series that I have read, though I note that Piers Anthony recently wrote an eighth novel, which I suspect is about the incarnation of night. However I will not really consider this novel to be a part of the seven book series as it appears that this book brings the series to a reasonably conclusive end. I do believe that I have read this book (overwise I wouldn't be writing a commentary on it), but it was such a long time ago that I am very vague as to what happened (which is where Wikipedia comes in).
The ideas in this book seem to flow from the rest of the series, and as we come to this book we finally come to understand where Anthony is heading with this series. In the last book we go into Satan's mind to discover that while he was the incarnation of evil, he was not necessarily evil himself. In this book we deal with the incarnation of Good, that is God, however, like the last book, we learn that God is not necessarily good, but rather a pompous git that really does not care about anybody beyond his own self importance.
I guess the conclusions of this series mimic where we ourselves are at in our time. However there is a slight difference. It is not a new thing that humanity looks up at God and tells him to get lost. This has been happening since the fall. We have all created our own idea of what God is like and we refuse to actually attempt to get to know what the real God is like. I guess this book is really just a mirror as to how we as a people view God.
The other aspect is that the UN, through debate and political manoeuvring, depose God and then propose to elect a new, and better, God. As far as humanity is concerned, God is not doing his job so needs to be replaced. Thus Anthony implies that reality, and eternity, is just like another nation or corporation. If the government, or the board, is not doing their job, we turf them out and elect new ones. Once again, there is a blurring between what is good and evil, turning evil into good and good into evil; turning the protagonist into the antagonist, and vice versa.
After considering the final book in this series, I am unlikely, actually highly unlikely, to ever return to them, and I guess my encounters with Piers Anthony will end with the Bio of a Space Tyrant series, which is the last series of his that I actually read. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 15, 2014 |
The somewhat disappointing but inevitable conclusion to the series. Still an enjoyable read. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
INCARNATIONS OF IMMORTALITY
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
#7 of the Incarnations of Immortality-- Excellent book Great story, Great ending and ties all 7 books together.. Well worth the price for all

"Three women—the ghost of Jolie, the ghost of Orlene (daughter of Orb), and a fourteen-year-old drug-addicted prostitute named Vita—try to discover a way to restore the life of Orlene's baby, Gawain II, who had died as a result of a severe birth defect inflicted unknowingly by Gaea at the request of the child's ghost father Gawain. Nox, the mysterious Incarnation of Night, promises to help, but she needs a specific item of great value from each of the other Incarnations in order to resurrect the baby. The three women set out to meet with each of the other seven Incarnations of Day.".... And then the problems start! ( )
  Scoshie | May 6, 2011 |
I was pretty disappointed in this book. I was very disturbed by the interactions between Vita and the Judge, and I felt like a lot of the book was Anthony trying to sound deep or intellectual. The only reason I kept reading it was because I wanted to see the story wrapped up, and because of the connections I had to the characters from the other books.

I had the same complaint about this book that I had with 'Being a Green Mother;' there was no time spent on her being an Incarnation, which was the reason I fell in love with this series in the first place. ( )
  Cerena | May 2, 2011 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowandaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jolie was in France when she felt the pain.

"HELL HAS NO FEAR FOR ME AFTER WHAT I HAVE SEEN ON EARTH."

"Orlene, this is Vita, your host." she said internally, hauling the spirit girl up.
Vita, this is Orlene, who will be animating your body for a while. She lost her baby son, and died of grief, and suffered again after death, She can tell you what it is like.
"Who cares?" Vita demanded.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380752867, Mass Market Paperback)

In Pursuit of the Ultimate Good

After an overwhelming succession of tragedies, life has finally, mercifully ended for Orlene, once-mortal daughter of Gaea.

Joined in Afterlife by Jolie -- her protector and the sometime consort of Satan himself -- together they seek out a third: Vita, a very contemporary mortal with troubles, attractions, and an unsettling moral code uniquely her own.

An extraordinary triumvirate, they embark on a great quest to reawaken the Incarnation of Good in a world where evil reigns -- facing challenges that will test the very fiber of their beings with trials as numerous, as mysterious, and as devastating as the Incarnations themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:30 -0400)

Follows Orlene in the afterlife, where she allies herself with Joie, Satan's consort, and the troubled mortal, Vita, to test mortality's limits.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible