Blood Rites: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Blood Rites: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Info:Roc Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1 Reissue, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:E-Books, Fantasy, Your library
Rating:*****

Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

Butcher's "Blood Rites" is better on the feminism front for both Murphy and the macho chivanism (ha, I'm keeping that one, chivalric chauvinism in a nutshell) aspects. Some resoundingly disappointing points on feminism in general. All in all, that the character is developing and dealing better with women is a good thing. I wonder whether tapping into gender expectations is intentional on the author's part.

The novel kicks off with Butcher's trade mark exciting scenes combining unlikely elements into trouble for the lead character. Harry Dresden barely keeps up with the book's pace himself, and even the reader is left a little breathless by the speed of the scenes. This gets somewhat discordant, but that is par for the course with this series.

There are big familial changes in store with this novel, and hard truths revealed. Dresden will never be the same, and perhaps that is for the better. I look forward to seeing how he copes with family members, and in dealing with his ally, Karin Murphy, on a more equal basis.

If I were to give Butcher the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that it was the use of traditional gender models in the beginning of the series that helped him get published. Now that he is picking up momentum perhaps he is able to step outside the realm of mainstream thinking to explore something more than the powerful-women-are-at-least-scary-and-usually-evil and non-powerful-women-are-good-and-helpless-and-must-be-protected-as-they-are-chips-on-the-patriarchal-poker-table-of-power stereotypes.

I am not, at this point, seeing scads of self awareness in the gendered power dynamics. And there is nothing dealing with LGBT yet either. Not necessarily surprising, but disappointing.

That being said, Butcher really milks the humor factor for all it is worth in combining the supernatural with up to date urban elements. I'm just so used to this genre producing valuable social and political commentary. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
A story of family, commitments and determination. Also one of vampires, monkey demons which fling flaming poo bombs and black magic. Through it all Harry and company persevere and triumph in the end. James Marsters, as always, is dead on for Harry Dresden's voice. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 26, 2014 |
Excellent series. As this series continues, Dresden's character gets more and more interesting and complex, as well as the people and villains in his life. I think Dresden and Murphy will hook up in the future at some point, but only my opinion. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 21, 2014 |
Great continuation of the story and you learn a lot more about Harry Dresden and the many other characters in this series. This book is a bit calmer then the previous ones, but major things still happen in this one. I'm really enjoying this series and can't wait to read the rest of them. I like how each book is almost a stand alone, but has an overarching story that keeps them all connected. I always feel satisfied at the end of the books. ( )
  renbedell | Dec 6, 2014 |
Substance: Some interesting revelations about Dresden's family.
Style: The action and plot are sound, but one Dresden a year is enough.
My book-Z-rating comes from the way Butcher handles sexual material: not graphic, but calculated to arouse adolescent lust. ( )
  librisissimo | Nov 28, 2014 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nieces and nephews: Craig, Emily, Danny, Ellie, Gabriel, Lori, Anna, Mikey, Kaitlyn, Greta, Foster and Baby-To-Be-Named-Later. I hope you all grow up to find as much joy in reading as has your uncle.
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
"What about her death curse?"
I blinked.
"You'd thought of that, right?" he asked.
"What death curse?" I stammered.
"Use your head, boy," Ebenezar said. "If she's got a wizard's power, she might well be able to level a death curse at you when she goes down."
"Oh, come on," I muttered. "That's no fair. She's already dead."
She flipped to a second page and took a pen from behind one hair-bun. "Oh, what would you like on your vegetarian pizza?"
"Dead pigs and cows," I said.
She glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose.
"They're vegetarians," I said defensively.
"But what do you want on yours? I mean, I'm supposed to make everyone happy here."
"Kill me some animals, then," I said. "It's a protein thing."
"Oh, you should have said," Inari replied, smiling at me. We stopped in front of a door and she scribbled on her clipboard. "Some extra cheese, maybe some beans and corn. Or wait. Tofu. Protein. I'll fix you up."
Bean-curd pizza, good grief. I should raise my rates.

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Like fleeing a burning building full of enraged demon monkeys, for instance. Or going to toe-to-leaf with a walking pant monster. Still, there's something more troubling than usual about the newest case. the film's producer believes he's the target of a sinister entropy curse, but it's the women around him who are dying, in increasingly spectacular ways.

Harry's doubly frustrated because he got involed with this bizarre mystery only as a favor to Thomas, his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can't quite figure out until his investigation leads him straight to Thomas' oversexed vampire family. Harry's about to discover that Thomas' family tree has been hiding a shocking secret: a revelation that will change Harry's life forever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459873, Mass Market Paperback)

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, takes on a case as a favor to his friend Thomas-a vampire of dubious integrity-only to become the prime suspect in a series of ghastly murders.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:46 -0400)

While going undercover on the set of an adult film to investigate the mysterious deaths of several actresses, Chicago wizard Harry Desden unexpectedly learns the shocking truth about his vampire friend Thomas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,162,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible