Blood Rites: A Novel of the Dresden Files by…

Blood Rites: A Novel of the Dresden Files (edition 2010)

by Jim Butcher

Member:Areopagite
Title:Blood Rites: A Novel of the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1 Reissue, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:E-Books, Fantasy, Your library
Rating:*****

Blood Rites by Jim Butcher

So far I've found the Dresden books very unbalanced. The huge space reserved for a usually sprawling finale often messed with the clever, heartfelt, carefully dosed, and, sometimes, funny and smart precedents. What has changed is yours truly. I have learned why Dresden, the book series, has garnered so many fans. Its irreverent take on the little problems of life, which laces and binds the opening chapters, has been something I didn't detect with the previous 5 books. But here, I know and acknowledge its value. Jim Butcher will never kill his main characters, will never stop writing overlong climaxes, will keep on making brilliant jokes, but as long as he is not jaded and not too drunk on his success, I'll be a distant follower, though not a genuine fan. Not yet.

Along with a new insight into the workings of the book, I think many of the problems, namely those of pacing and gravitas, were absent in book six. This is a book that a few people have expressed disappointment with, but personally I warmed up to the film noir vibe and the dated crime drama deja vu feeling it exuded. The author combined many ideas from Hong Kong movies to Agatha Christie to comic books to Buffy to craft Blood Rites. I found the treatment of the story's casualties decent enough. There were revelations galore which dog the vacuum that is the past of the hero, Harry Dresden. I prefer revelations to action fueled twists. Twists sometimes feel forced. Their lack certainly improved the feel of the plot, which moved incessantly forward, and there was not any filler. What I wanted to say was that Jim Butcher was inspired for this book.

But would someone tell me who was the first author to come up with the concept of Hunger, with a big letter H, in the vampire subgenre? It's irritating as hell and while at first the effect was theatrical and pretentious, now it's ridiculous, pejorative, and annoying. Hunger is just the appetite of the bloodthirsty. End of. Now I'm going to mention my favorite character of the series; step forward Karrin Murphy. She is both charismatic and elusive. By that I mean that here, I was okay with her playing a small role, and keep away from the climax. That has happened before and it was proof that Murphy was a versatile character. In this book, I would have been fine with seeing her last at her family reunion, exceptionally wearing a dress to please her mom, being herself. Yet I had no problem with her taking part in the action. I do, however, get tired of her shedding blood, and small things like the use of her limbs, in the line of what is not even duty. There has been enough debate about inflicting pain on fictional women in various media and I don't have any new thing to mention but I hope the next books in the series make Murphy take a back seat towards the climactic hijinks. By the way, I loved the Kinkaid character almost as much. All of these elements make me think that Jim Butcher is not making stuff as he goes along. He has a plan. He knows how everything hangs together. He knows how it will end. I want to know too. So yeah, I do. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 6, 2015 |
Took me an inexplicably long time to finish it - but I did absolutely love it! Dresden is still a highly entertaining, witty and humorous bastard that somehow keeps finding a way out of the most unbelievable and screwed-up situations! And I cannot believe he got a dog!

Murphy is less and less annoying, Thomas really grew on me in this book, the evil Papa Reith was really... evil.

All that Arturo Genosa situation failed to keep me interested, though. Ijust read the book, yet I still cannot tell Emma from Joan or Joan from Gisel or Bobby from that other guy or whatever.

Lara is positively bad-ass. And smart. And sexy. Hope to see more of her. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, well, that was kind of boring. Why the hell did I even finish it? Oh yea. For some reason, I just love Dresden crying like a little girl. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Finally done with Harry Dresden. While I quite enjoyed it at first, his character just made reading the series harder and harder. He is a self-righteous ass and his chauvinism becomes quite irritating. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
another tasty Lays potato chip. A good quick read. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacLeod, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nieces and nephews: Craig, Emily, Danny, Ellie, Gabriel, Lori, Anna, Mikey, Kaitlyn, Greta, Foster and Baby-To-Be-Named-Later. I hope you all grow up to find as much joy in reading as has your uncle.
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
"What about her death curse?"
I blinked.
"You'd thought of that, right?" he asked.
"What death curse?" I stammered.
"Use your head, boy," Ebenezar said. "If she's got a wizard's power, she might well be able to level a death curse at you when she goes down."
"Oh, come on," I muttered. "That's no fair. She's already dead."
She flipped to a second page and took a pen from behind one hair-bun. "Oh, what would you like on your vegetarian pizza?"
"Dead pigs and cows," I said.
She glanced up at me and wrinkled her nose.
"They're vegetarians," I said defensively.
"But what do you want on yours? I mean, I'm supposed to make everyone happy here."
"Kill me some animals, then," I said. "It's a protein thing."
"Oh, you should have said," Inari replied, smiling at me. We stopped in front of a door and she scribbled on her clipboard. "Some extra cheese, maybe some beans and corn. Or wait. Tofu. Protein. I'll fix you up."
Bean-curd pizza, good grief. I should raise my rates.

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, there have been worse assignments than going undercover on the set of an adult film. Like fleeing a burning building full of enraged demon monkeys, for instance. Or going to toe-to-leaf with a walking pant monster. Still, there's something more troubling than usual about the newest case. the film's producer believes he's the target of a sinister entropy curse, but it's the women around him who are dying, in increasingly spectacular ways.

Harry's doubly frustrated because he got involed with this bizarre mystery only as a favor to Thomas, his flirtatious, self-absorbed vampire acquaintance of dubious integrity. Thomas has a personal stake in the case Harry can't quite figure out until his investigation leads him straight to Thomas' oversexed vampire family. Harry's about to discover that Thomas' family tree has been hiding a shocking secret: a revelation that will change Harry's life forever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459873, Mass Market Paperback)

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, takes on a case as a favor to his friend Thomas-a vampire of dubious integrity-only to become the prime suspect in a series of ghastly murders.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:46 -0400)

While going undercover on the set of an adult film to investigate the mysterious deaths of several actresses, Chicago wizard Harry Desden unexpectedly learns the shocking truth about his vampire friend Thomas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,150,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible