Damage by Josephine Hart

Damage (1991)

by Josephine Hart

7822011,788 (3.56)33
Recently added byntra, ArianaArme, AllisonWilliams, martas65, gigu60, andyhazno, private library, toomanybooks2, MTV, DubiousVirtue
Legacy LibrariesIris Murdoch

English (17)  Italian (3)  All (20)
Een geweldig verhaal die je in 1x uit leest. Een man die helemaal opgaat in een liefde met wat erotische spelletjes die hem aantrekken in het verbodene. Dan komt er een draai en als je naar het einde leest wil je maar dat het "goed" gaat aflopen, wat helaas niet gebeurd, waardoor je het boek met een ontevreden gevoel dichtslaat ( )
  misty13 | Oct 15, 2015 |
Esta frase describe muy bien al personaje principal :

It had been so simple. I was trembling with joy and longing. Lines from childhood sang in my head, ‘All a-wonder and a wild, wild longing’.

My maniac’s face as I walked from the booth startled a passer-by.

Un libro breve pero excelente. ( )
  LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Two stars according to Goodreads means it was okay (for me). Two stars for effort.

Although I have heard some say that the prose was easy to read, I found it to be the opposite. I had such trouble relating to her imagery that I had to read some sentences over and over again trying to understand the relevance of the words.
Here's an example:
...A glance turns into a threat. A challenge deep behind the eye or mouth, that only Anna or I could understand, led us on and on, intoxicated by the power to create our own magnificent universes."

A bit too much for me. Then suddenly, in the next paragraph we get a description of lovemaking, which comes out of the blue (there's no leading up to the scene itself). In fact, it's difficult to imagine the narrator is talking about sex:
"Sometimes her limbs locked, impossibly angled, as on a rack of my imagination, stoically she bore my weight."
Sexy - NOT. Rather, that line to me inspires abstinence.

Another:
"Anna had no delicate features that could be harmed by the brutality of kisses that must save a life."
Hugh?

But despite the author's propensity to fill paragraphs with artsy prose, whenever something dramatic happens (like a death), she rushes through it as if it were a banal event.

I have also read Hart's [b:Sin|1163560|Sin|Josephine Hart|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1408925357s/1163560.jpg|220074] and I find similar faults in that as well. One problem is Hart seems to be a poet aficionado (she has collected two anthologies of selections from famous poets) so perhaps she is a frustrated poet and that is the reason for her heavy-handed style.

And then there is the central love affair itself. There's absolutely no passion in its presentation, and we are at a loss as to why the male character would destructively involve himself with Anna, whose looks and personality are not portrayed effectively as anything special. Only that the first time he met her, he looked into her eyes and knew he was at one with her, or something of that nature. Give me a break!

In summary, I was disappointed. ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 24, 2014 |

Here's an example:

Sexy - NOT. Rather, that line to me inspires abstinence.

Another:
Hugh?

In summary, I was disappointed. ( )
  BBcummings | Dec 23, 2014 |
An amazing storyteller. I'll be putting all of her books on my to-be-read list. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
To Maurice Saatchi
There is an internal landscape, a geography of the soul; we search for its outlines all our lives.

Damage, Josephine Hart's debut novel, an international bestseller, filmed with Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche, now takes its proper place as a Virago Modern Classic. Here is one of the most chilling explorations of physical passion and dark, obsessive love ever written.

"Hypnotic."

THE BOSTON GLOBE

He was a married M.P.with two grown children. On the surface, his life was what he wanted it to be. She was his son's fiancee, a shattered woman who had only known forbidden love. When they meet, their attraction is instantaneous, their obsession complete. And nothing, it seems, can tear them away from each other and their dangerous, damaging, illicit passion....

"Striking."

THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

A successful doctor and politician arrives at middle ages and the high point of his career, having pursued a dutiful and a passionless life. His life has been a 'good performance', until as chance meeting with Anna, his son's lover. This strange and secretive woman, emotionally crippled by her past, unlocks the violent reality behind his carefully created facade, and his consuming obsession threatens everyone around them. Only as he spirals towards destruction does he understand the truth of Anna's warning - damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible