Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Dead Beat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (7)

4,760101982 (4.32)143

English (99)  German (1)  All languages (100)
4.5 This one started out slow for me. I had a hard time staying with the book till I got to the 1/2 way point then I couldn't set it down.
Harry and Thomas still living together and not getting on so well. Mouse has grown into a sweat gentle monster that bows down to the master Mister. A supper power of evil descends upon Chicago and Harry is right in the middle again. His life his friends and his future all depend on him being more than he is. he has to face his inner demon, and is tempted in more than one way. The White Council needs him, but Morgan, arguh ! Harry whips out the big guns with Sue ( LOL) and steals the show and my heart. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I loved this book. It has everything I love and lacks exactly the thing I dislike in this series (Murphy and her self-righteous attitude). I still remember how she ruined the second book for me.
It took me quite a while to start reading Dead Beat because of the blurb. Since the starting point is a blackmail connected to Murphy I expected her to play a greater role here. Fortunately that's not the case. Murphy lovers will be disappointed to find that she appears only in two scenes, one in the beginning and the other in the end.

As for the the rest of the book, it is perfect. The antagonists are strong, the mystery, the plot and its pace are perfect. I didn't experience a single moment of boredom. Even the side characters' growth (Butters, for instance) is believable.
Thomas is there too. What's not to like?
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Seven books into the series and I have no intention of stopping. The Dresden Files never ceases to amaze me with it's complex and intriguing plotlines, badass characters, and truly horrifying bad guys. It doesn't get any better than this. Harry Dresden highlights different "sidekicks" in all of his adventures, in Dead Beat his trusty dog, Mouse, and his cowardly coroner friend Butters are his main pals, although his newly discovered brother, Thomas, helps out when he cans. Harry's old nemesis, Mauvra, has tasked him with finding the Word of Kemler otherwise she will turn over his best friend, Karen Murphy, to the police with some incriminating photos. Of course, things aren't that "simple." Harry quickly learns that a bunch of necromancers are in town looking for the same item and to top it all off it's almost Halloween. Things are going to get a whole lot more worse before they get better, but good ol' Harry will muddle his way through it and use his sense of humor as his greatest weapon (not!). Always a good read and impeccably narrated by James Marsters! ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 25, 2016 |
This is a very fine example of the Dresden Files series.
Dresden is on his own, as Murphy is away on holidays and Michael is not available, when an old enemy threatens someone close to him. As he tries to deal with that threat, a whole new group of baddies arrives and Harry struggles to get on top of the situation (even to work outwhat the situation is).
Throw in some zombies and vampires, as well as some temptations to power, and Harry is facing overwhelming odds (as usual).
There are also a few surprises for Harry. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
This is the 7th installment in the Dresden Files and I'm still not sure how of the enjoyment I take in this series is due to Jim Butcher and how much to James Marsters' reading.

The plot is straightforward: Unless Harry Dresden delivers the Word of Kemmler (a book) to Marva, she will Fframe his friend Murphy for murder. Of course he is not alone in the search for the book. Harry has to figure out why everybody wants the book, battles various nasties and save the world - again. A fun read with lots of twists and turns and never a dull moment for Harry or the reader. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,989,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible