Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Dead Beat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (7)

English (93)  German (1)  All languages (94)
I loved this book. It has everything I love and lacks exactly the thing I dislike in this series (Murphy and her self-righteous attitude). I still remember how she ruined the second book for me.
It took me quite a while to start reading Dead Beat because of the blurb. Since the starting point is a blackmail connected to Murphy I expected her to play a greater role here. Fortunately that's not the case. Murphy lovers will be disappointed to find that she appears only in two scenes, one in the beginning and the other in the end.

As for the the rest of the book, it is perfect. The antagonists are strong, the mystery, the plot and its pace are perfect. I didn't experience a single moment of boredom. Even the side characters' growth (Butters, for instance) is believable.
Thomas is there too. What's not to like?
  Irena. | Sep 24, 2015 |
Six-word review: Halloween nasties challenge Harry and friends.

Extended review:

He just can't help himself. Jim Butcher. Like a hungry vampire, he gets hold of a word or expression and he just can't stop himself from using it over and over and over again. Repetitions swarm like swarms of swarming insects.

I can't be the only one who's bothered by this. Maybe, though, I'm one among a small number who make compulsive notes about it. Old editorial habits do die hard.

In the seventh tale of the Dresden Files series, which is replete with snarls (47 times) and growls (32) and numerous other animal-noise substitutes for "said," Butcher is plagued by hordes of word zombies, mindlessly commanded to appear in force.

And they do seem to be unstoppable.

Butcher has shed the very odd "quirked an eyebrow" that quirked several earlier volumes. Now eyebrows, which seem to have a life of their own, are constantly arching as if of their own volition: someone (usually Harry Dresden) arched an eyebrow (just one eyebrow) 25 times.

In fact, there's a lot of ocular activity. Someone blinked 54 times, 56 if you include "blinking." (I do most of my word checking and counting using Amazon's marvelous "search inside" feature; I don't actually log them all by hand. Honestly I don't.)

And despite all the noisy vocalizations, for some reason the author gets a run on "quietly" in dialogue tags ("he said quietly"). Not only does he use it 62 times--an average of once every eight and a quarter pages--but it appears six times on two facing pages (356 and 357) and four more over the next few.

Maybe it's unusual enough for anything to happen quietly in a Dresden book that it must be remarked on again and again.

Dammit, though, he gets the novels written--averaging more than one a year since the first of the Dresden Files series came out in 2000. If he doesn't take the time to go back and comb the text, refining it with judicious excisions and elegant variations, well, maybe that's the price of churning them out at a steady rate while compulsive types like me can't actually write to the end of anything and call it finished.

And I keep reading them, despite these quibbles, because they're entertaining escapism, done well enough to hold my attention and not insult my intelligence.

That's a kind of repetition I can applaud. ( )
2 vote Meredy | Sep 21, 2015 |
If you've seen my reviews of previous Dresden Files novels, you pretty much already know what I think of this book. I'm worried I might start boring people because my adores and complaints don't change from novel to novel, and your eyes will start glazing over as I launch yet again into the usual blah blah awesome world-building blah blah laugh-out-loud snarky humor blah but DAMN could he stop being sexist and calling it chivalrous blah blah oh and please, people are not that skeptical when it comes to the supernatural blah blah AWESOME FIGHT SCENE blah oh, Harry, you drive me crazy but you're always worth it in the end.

So I'll just add that this is a series you really should try to read in order, because Butcher is terrific when it comes to past events coming back to haunt us in the present. This becomes clearer with every new Dresden book. Even well-intentioned actions and words are not without consequence, something I wish people in general and writers in particular would remember more often.

Also, even if you've read these books in print, do check out the audio editions, because James Marsters narrates and nobody is gay or straight enough to be able to resist his charms. (Okay, I admit I'm still waiting for confirmation from lesbians on this. I do already know straight guys who fan-girl all over his voice.)

Also also, "Butters" is apparently the surname of choice when it comes to making sure that everyone will know, before he says a word or does a thing, that a male character is not even a tiny bit "manly." First Southpark; now the Dresden Files. Which kind of makes me feel bad for all the real-world men surnamed Butters, but I also kind of think it's funny. Which I'm sure makes me bad.

Tl;dr: Read these books. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
This seventh book in the Dresden Files series, took me along a roller coaster ride tread by many of the fans, yet managed to make the experience nearly pristine and virginal. The book was at first a slow starter, then became a precocious child, then became an overacheiver, then, a late bloomer. The entire novel were the work of a workaholic, of that I'm sure.

The series follow a formula only in the broadest sense of the word. I wish to tell Jim Butcher to ditch his cliffhangers. I mean, by that, his tendency to put Dresden in a dead end and have him rescue by a providential arrival - here, once, by a Deus Ex Mafia. Not all such rescues are humdrum, though. When the hero is saved by Butters, it made for inspired writing. But I leave the benefit of the doubt to the author, who knows about his audience, more than I do, and knows on which side his bread is buttered.

Dead Beat is startlingly different in raw ideas, from its precedents. The vampires set the ball rolling, and referee the majority of the death counts, but they are mostly off screen. The one vampire in the book, Thomas, is there, is interesting, but does not help much. There are new and newer characters to make up for that. The Book Of Kemmler is a book within a book. The entire show runs round it. And one of the characters is fiction within a fiction.

The best thing about book seven is that the layers that form part of the novel are available at first reading. I took great enjoyment from it. Dresden's hero complex is dealt with, with care, restraint, artfulness, and thoughtfulness. The plot coupons and twists in the book are well timed. I think the reveals, which are different and self sufficient (not depending on previous ones), enhance the craftsmanship of the author, who, in retrospect, I'm seeing growing with his main character. All of the annoying twinges of previous books have been erased, at least in my book. If this book were a brochure, I'd buy everything in it. It's that good. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 17, 2015 |
Another great book in the Dresden series. I took a little break from the series, so it was nice that this book was filled with recap of the previous books. Well written and occasionally humorous, It's a fun book and a fun series. ( )
  renbedell | May 8, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,697,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible