Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Dead Beat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (7)

4,214None1,179 (4.33)118
Chicago (94) crime (21) detective (96) Dresden (91) Dresden Files (307) ebook (48) fantasy (538) fiction (294) Harry Dresden (96) horror (30) Jim Butcher (33) Kindle (22) magic (188) mystery (187) necromancy (35) novel (25) paperback (26) paranormal (61) read (59) science fiction (39) series (81) sff (46) supernatural (71) to-read (55) urban (24) urban fantasy (393) vampires (109) werewolves (37) wizards (232) zombies (51)

English (81)  German (1)  All languages (82)

BOOK SEVEN?? How is it that this series continues to entertain me, even with its somewhat repetitive structure? I think it's because Harry's relationships continue to deepen and become more significant. The reader cares for Harry by now and we just want him to be happy and not alone in the end. Way to go, Butcher. Long live Harry Dresden! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Tyrannosaur Bob! ( )
  sixthreezy | Apr 4, 2014 |
Such awesome new characters were introduced this book. I was kinda sad at the lacking of murphy (she took a trip at the start of the book), but the new characters and the chance to expand existing ones more than made up for it. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
I really don't know why I am still reading this series, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the first couple of books managed to get me interested and since that I ended up borrowing a whole bunch of them from a friend of mine so that I could see how the story panned out. Anyway, I suspect that this is what Butcher wanted, namely to get people hooked on the first few books, and then we end up buying the rest of the series (and if I were Butcher, I wouldn't be complaining).
To be blunt, by this book the series is starting to sound like a soap opera, and in fact the discussions that Harry Dresden has with some of the recurring characters are really starting to get melodramatic. For instance, when Harry tells Thomas, who happens to be his brother, despite the fact that Thomas is a vampire, of the White Court no less (and they are vampires that feed on human emotion), that he has to call in the wizard's council to deal with this monumental problem (and they get even more monumental as the books progress) that Thomas has to stay right out of the way.
Basically, Harry is approached by another vampire (of the Black Court, and I still don't actually know what they feed on, as it is not blood, because the Red Court feed on blood) and asked to get this book that was written by a necromancer. However, a bunch of other necromancers also want this book because Halloween is coming up, and Halloween is when necromancers start getting up to mischief, and because the necromancers are getting up to mischief, Harry has to step in an stop them, despite the fact that it is more than he can handle, and he is simply some private detective that hasn't had sex in a very long time (though the fact that he is a magician does set him apart from other private detectives).
Things are starting to get a little complicated in this book though because you have the vampire that we thought was dead, but is not, and we have some demon posing as a woman to try to get Harry to serve him, and we have the fairies trying to recruit him as a knight, and also we have some forensic scientist questioning Harry's sexuality. In fact I actually wonder what this whole thing about Harry being questioned as to whether he is gay or not is about because the one thing that I didn't think Harry was was a homosexual, and the guy that suggests this seems to pull it out of thin air.
Okay, there are morons out there than simply do not understand the nature of sexuality, and as such constantly fire blanks about whether somebody is a homosexual or not, but to be honest with you, the one person that didn't seem to be like that was Butter', the character that raises this question. I guess this is one of the things that people raise with regards to Butcher's writings, and that is fact that he seems to be very, very, interested in sex (maybe he is not getting enough of it, though I must admit that he is nowhere near as bad as Piers Anthony). ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 1, 2014 |
Το καλύτερο της σειράς. Ωραία ανάπτυξη των χαρακτή​ ( )
  Antonis.Papadakis | Jan 30, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:11 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,416,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible