Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

Dead Beat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (7)

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
*THUD* This one left me plumb tuckered out!! My favorite, of the Dresden Files, so far (and that's sayin' a lot!). Again, rife with blood'n'gore . . not for the feint-of-heart! On the upside, it's also filled to overflowing with excitement, spells, vampires, ghouls, blasting rods, black leather, wizardry and necromancy (eww!). As an aside, if anyone has the temerity to suggest that I have a crush on Bob the Skull, I'll deny it!! ;) ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Guess it was time we had one that involved zombies... ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
loved this one! all the necromancers in town, that's a fun convention id like to attend ( )
  brandochic | Feb 22, 2016 |
4.5 This one started out slow for me. I had a hard time staying with the book till I got to the 1/2 way point then I couldn't set it down.
Harry and Thomas still living together and not getting on so well. Mouse has grown into a sweat gentle monster that bows down to the master Mister. A supper power of evil descends upon Chicago and Harry is right in the middle again. His life his friends and his future all depend on him being more than he is. he has to face his inner demon, and is tempted in more than one way. The White Council needs him, but Morgan, arguh ! Harry whips out the big guns with Sue ( LOL) and steals the show and my heart. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Seven books into the series and I have no intention of stopping. The Dresden Files never ceases to amaze me with it's complex and intriguing plotlines, badass characters, and truly horrifying bad guys. It doesn't get any better than this. Harry Dresden highlights different "sidekicks" in all of his adventures, in Dead Beat his trusty dog, Mouse, and his cowardly coroner friend Butters are his main pals, although his newly discovered brother, Thomas, helps out when he cans. Harry's old nemesis, Mauvra, has tasked him with finding the Word of Kemler otherwise she will turn over his best friend, Karen Murphy, to the police with some incriminating photos. Of course, things aren't that "simple." Harry quickly learns that a bunch of necromancers are in town looking for the same item and to top it all off it's almost Halloween. Things are going to get a whole lot more worse before they get better, but good ol' Harry will muddle his way through it and use his sense of humor as his greatest weapon (not!). Always a good read and impeccably narrated by James Marsters! ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 25, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,872,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible