Dead beat : a novel of the Dresden files by…

Dead beat : a novel of the Dresden files (edition 2005)

by Jim Butcher

Member:stevemaynard
Title:Dead beat : a novel of the Dresden files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:New York : Roc, c2005.

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: Like any of the Dresden Files novels, The Good Fight features paranormal foes and action sequences set against the backdrop of a modern world-class city; in the case of TGF, it's Toronto rather than Chicago.

English (114)  German (1)  All languages (115)
This book introduces 6 dangerous necromancers, including the insanely powerful Cowl. They are seeking The Word of Kemmler, a book containing the teachings of their old master, and it's Harry's mission to stop them. A very good read. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Yet again Harry is called on to save a good chunk of the world from things that go bump in the night. Since a couple of books back, when Harry managed to grow himself some balls, I have taken quite a liking to this book series. Harry have become quite a badass and I like his sharp tongue and rather dry and dark comments. Unfortunately he is not not always as a sharp-witted as he his sharp-tongued and he does indeed put his foot in it and, in particular, gets sucker-punched a wee bit too often.

The book starts with Harry getting forced (suckered) into looking for the, apparently, famous Word of Kemmler. Well, famous in certain circles that is. Circles that have a rather unhealthy interest in dead things. Dead things that won’t stay nice and quiet in their coffins like well-behaved dead things should do. To everyone’s great surprise (not really) a number of other interested parties are also looking for the Word of Kemmler. Parties that believe in simple solutions when it comes to competition, like a not so healthy dose of violence followed by sudden death(s). What can be better in order to promote some violence than help an already brewing war take off in earnest. So soon Harry finds himself in the middle of another fine mess…again.

As usual the book is nicely written with plenty of action, lots of bickering between Harry and his friends and all kinds of magic and supernatural beings crawling, stomping or flying around. Although Harry gets sucker-punched a couple of times he does bounce back and this time he is doing it in style venturing into some rather black magic as well as bending the rules of the White Council in some rather innovative ways. Too bad Harry could not replace that old crappy Beetle of his with his new “ride” permanently. Yes that is very cryptic but writing anything more specific would be a mega-spoiler for what I personally think is one of the best moments of the book so you have to read it for yourself.

The one thing that I really did not like was Morgan’s behavior. Not that this was much of a surprise since he must be one of the most disagreeable and thickheaded bastards in this book series. I disliked him even more than usual in this book though when he got one of his outbursts in the middle of some critical events. Even afterwards, when he had soundly been proven wrong, he behaves like an arse.

Anyway, on the whole a very enjoyable book.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
My first audiobook. Wasn't sure I would manage it (audio attention span sometimes isn't so great), but the nuanced and heartfelt voice-acting of James Marsters kept me riveted. I might finish this series in audiobook format (though I'll still be buying the paperbacks, of course).

Things I love about this one: the cowardice and courage of Butters, Harry's struggles and hopes regarding his maimed hand, and the deepening brotherhood of Harry and Thomas. The scene in which Thomas finally illustrates for Harry what the vampire Hunger is like ... earnest and poignant yet still tinged with humor, all in an understated way that fits the characters perfectly.

On to the next.

I hope Peace Talks is out before I catch up, but I doubt it will be. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
On a re-read, this one really stands out. This is the first time I said, "Wow, that's a really well-written line" for one of Butcher's books. It's a really tense read, and Butcher introduces some really *big* elements to the overarching plot. Also, Waldo Butters--a minor character who appeared once before this--is elevated to a much more important spot. He's so good. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Another fun run with Harry Dresden! A humorous and quick moving story with plenty of action. It tells its own tale, though I found the initial hook a little weak, but still propels the greater Dresden Files plot along. Always a good time with Jim Butcher. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.
"By any chance does all of this knowledge and power and good advice come for only three easy installments of $19.95 plus shipping and handling?"
The fallen angel arched a golden brow at me.
"Or maybe it comes with a bonus set of knives tough enough to saw through a nail, yet still cut tomatoes like this!"
She regarded me steadily and said, "You aren't nearly as funny as you think you are."
"I had to come up with some kind of response to your offer to corrupt and enslave me. Bad jokes seemed perfectly appropriate because I can only assume that you've got to be kidding."

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible