Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7) by Jim…

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7) (edition 2006)

by Jim Butcher

Member:maybedog
Title:Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, Book 7)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:when-review, what-modern-fantasy, why-favorite-series, why-favorite-authors, why-favorites, what-male-protagonist, what-vampires, what-fae

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: Like any of the Dresden Files novels, The Good Fight features paranormal foes and action sequences set against the backdrop of a modern world-class city; in the case of TGF, it's Toronto rather than Chicago.

English (112)  German (1)  All languages (113)
On a re-read, this one really stands out. This is the first time I said, "Wow, that's a really well-written line" for one of Butcher's books. It's a really tense read, and Butcher introduces some really *big* elements to the overarching plot. Also, Waldo Butters--a minor character who appeared once before this--is elevated to a much more important spot. He's so good. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
Another fun run with Harry Dresden! A humorous and quick moving story with plenty of action. It tells its own tale, though I found the initial hook a little weak, but still propels the greater Dresden Files plot along. Always a good time with Jim Butcher. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
Dead Beat
4.5 Stars

In Dead Beat, Harry faces some darker ethical dilemmas as he struggles to prevent a group of Necromancers from attaining godlike powers.

Despite his questionable attitude toward women and his bad habit of getting his ass kicked far too often, Harry has finally wormed his way into my heart and it looks like he'll be staying there for good.

The plot is well paced with some nerve wracking action scenes and gripping developments in Harry's relationships with both friends and foes.

Although Murphy is absent for most of the book, her presence is keenly felt throughout and it seems that for Harry absence might make the heart grow fonder. Harry and Thomas also grow closer and their sibling banter leads to numerous laugh-out-loud moments. Secrets are revealed concerning Bob the Skull's past and Harry's contentious association with the Wardens in general and Morgan in particular comes to a head. However, the most endearing character is definitely Butters, the timid little coroner with a huge heart who shows that courage can be found in the most unlikely of packages and at the most unlikely of times.

Finally, this review cannot come to an end without mention of Sue, whose contribution to the story cannot be overstated - you just have to read the book to find out why.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I really liked the character of Butters - no magic skill, no particular courage, yet with Harry's support and friendship, he faces his fears and comes to Harry's assistance more than once. It was a nice was for Mr. Butcher to illustrate just what kind of man Dresden is. Once again there is an impossible situation where Harry has to save the day and this one includes lots and lots of zombies... ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 23, 2018 |
Too long and seemed mostly filled by péripéties just strung together. Perhaps I skipped too far ahead in the series. It was saved from the temptation of a one-star rating by the dinosaur, but I don't think it deserves to climb above a two.

And of course Mouse (the dog) gets taken along with Dresden while Mister (the cat) is abandoned to the zombies.

I found it strange that the book used American spelling conventions throughout and yet used "grey". Shiela made me cringe any time I saw her name. Maybe it was supposed to be "shy-lah"?

As for addressing Queen Mab as thee instead of you, it just wasn't logical. It's a cheap gimmick to make the dialogue sound old-timey. Yes, supernatural beings were generally addressed as thou and not you when that distinction in English was in vogue, but it certainly isn't Dresden's habit and he mixed the two anyway: "Greetings, Queen Mab. I do beg your pardon. It was not my intention to disturb thee." It makes more sense for Queen Mab to use thou but even here Butcher doesn't bother to use it consistently and we're left with a gimmick that doesn't work very well.

Yes, I'm picking small things apart but the dialogue was even worse than in the first novel, I think. And the plot was driven by events being turned against Dresden because he keeps hatching these vulnerable plans that only make sense so that the bad guys can foil them.

It didn't help that the book couldn't hold my attention and I kept turning back because my brain wasn't processing the words I was reading. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.
"By any chance does all of this knowledge and power and good advice come for only three easy installments of $19.95 plus shipping and handling?"
The fallen angel arched a golden brow at me.
"Or maybe it comes with a bonus set of knives tough enough to saw through a nail, yet still cut tomatoes like this!"
She regarded me steadily and said, "You aren't nearly as funny as you think you are."
"I had to come up with some kind of response to your offer to corrupt and enslave me. Bad jokes seemed perfectly appropriate because I can only assume that you've got to be kidding."

Paranormal investigations are Harry Dresden's business, and Chicago is his beat as he tried to bring law and order to a world of wizards and monsters that exists alongside everyday life. And though most inhabitants of the Windy City don't believe in magic, the Special Investigations department of the Chicago PD knows better.

Karrin Murphy is the head of the SI and Harry's good friend. So when a killer vampire threatens to destroy Murphy's reputation unless Harry does her bidding, he has no choice. The vampire wants the Word of Kemmier [whatever that is] and all the power that comes with it. Now Harry is in a race against time - and six merciless necromancers - to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 045146091X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a killer vampire threatens to destroy head of Special Investigations Karrin Murphy's reputation unless Harry delivers the powerful Word of Kemmler to her, he has no choice. Now Harry is in a race against time to find the Word before Chicago experiences a Halloween night to wake the dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden rushes to solve the riddle of a vampire's demand for the Word of Keppler in order to save the city, and his friend Karrin Murphy, head of the city's Special Investigations department, from the threat of supernatural horror.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible