Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Dime Store Magic (2004)

by Kelley Armstrong

Recently added bydrhapgood, Melfice, private library, Dreamchen, LauraEva, Theadora78, psychotropek
    Unchained by Sharon Ashwood (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Strong, well-written characters and a story that walks the paranormal romance/urban fantasy boundary

English (63)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (65)
I read No Humans Involved before I decided to start the whole series. Although I loved Dime Store Magic, I felt it didn't show as much control and careful planning as Armstrong's later books have, but I still loved it and enjoyed it to the very last page. As always, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
In this book we follow Paige Winterborne, young witch from Stolen who has come home with a major duty – to look after the extremely powerful 12 year old witch, Savannah Levine. An already daunting task to take on with the full disapproval of the Coven elders levelled against her.

But Leah is back – and the half-demon has brought the Nast Cabal with her, determined to claim custody of Savannah. The Cabal’s pockets are vast – but even that is dwarfed by the magical assets they can bring to hand. Legal battles, murdered lawyers, the rising dead and the constant threat of sorcerous magic and Leah’s devastating telekinesis makes for a daunting threat. Worst of all, they take the battle public, accusing Paige as a witch, as a Satanist, as anything they can get to stick and watch crowds of humans and media converge on Paige’s doorstep

Ostracised by her community, abandoned by her Coven, Paige has to handle the full might of the Cabal on her own –except for the altruistic intervention of Lucas Cortez, Sorcerer and do-gooder crusader – with the oddest family connections.

I loved this book. While the last book was, perhaps, a little clumsy in introducing the full range of supernatural beings, this book has been introduced and can now use all the things we’ve seen. We get to see magic, what it really means and what it really involves, we get to see more and learn more about Half-Demons and Sorcerers and Witches and Necromancers, we get history and context and so much more world building – but all of it is fully integrated into the story. No awkward dumping or shoe-horning, no lectures and no convoluted explanation moments. We get to see the world through the story, not it pushed in whenever it can be. I also like that the Cabals, in many cases the big bad of the supernatural world, are not presented as uber-evil criminal organisations. It’s more nuanced than that

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
So good - Paige and Lucas are a very sweet couple, and the action is exciting! ( )
  kayceel | Aug 15, 2013 |
Paige is dishwater dull in my mind. I much prefer Elena as the main character. The book was good, just not great. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Dime Store Magic is Kelley Armstrong's third Women of the Underworld book, and so far, the weakest. After such a solid debut with Bitten, I was really surprised that DSM ended up being a lesser story. The romance felt obligatory, the complexity of the levels of demons and witch magic made me wish for the simplicity of the werewolf pack in the earlier books, and Lucas Cortez's dialogue was painfully stiff and formal. The various conflicts all felt manufactured and forced - no one's motivations really made sense. I liked the continuation of Savannah's and Leah's stories, carried forward from [book:Stolen], but I'd really like to get back to books about Elena.

All that said, I still gave it three stars indicating that it was an entertaining read, but I hope Kelley Armstrong gets back in shape after this book. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 21, 2013 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, for all his support and encouragement.
Todd adjusted his leather power seat and smiled.
“We’re not naked, we’re skyclad !”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587064, Mass Market Paperback)

From one of today’s most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world’s most powerful elite organizations—the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige’s wildest antics can’t hold a candle to those of her new charge—an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder—and frame Paige for the crime. It’s an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:22 -0400)

"From one of today's most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want. Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations--the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge--an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder--and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive."-- BOOK COVER… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible