Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Dime Store Magic (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:PhaedraB
Title:Dime Store Magic
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:Spectra (2004), mass market paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, to be deaccessioned, PEIB, packed, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal romance, occult fiction

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong (2004)

Unchained by Sharon Ashwood (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Strong, well-written characters and a story that walks the paranormal romance/urban fantasy boundary

English (65)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (67)
I did a re-read of [b:Dime Store Magic|125926|Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355183293s/125926.jpg|2492799] for one of my 2015 reading challenges. I can’t believe that it’s already been ten years since I first read this book.

After the events of [b:Stolen|11922|Stolen (Women of the Otherworld #2)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1300923278s/11922.jpg|14289], Paige Winterbourne has taken in thirteen year old Savannah Levine whose mother recently died. Savannah is a powerful witch for her age, but impulsive. It’s a dangerous combination that has the Nast Cabal (the supernatural equivalent of the mafia) tearing Paige’s life apart in a bid for custody. As her life continues to crumble around her, Paige is forced to accept assistance from Lucas Cortez, a young lawyer with his own motives for helping.

I decided to read Dime Store Magic again because I didn’t give Paige a fair shot the first time around. When I first read this, it was immediately after devouring the first two books in the series, which feature werewolf Elena Michaels. I had adored Elena and wasn’t excited to discover that the next book's narrator was going to be the twenty-something witch from Stolen. (Especially, since I hadn’t cared for Paige in that story.) While I had ended-up enjoying Dime Store Magic on my first reading, I still thought Paige was a little lack luster. It wasn’t until later in the series that I got into her and Lucas, as characters. So, I’m glad I did a re-read as I was able to appreciate them more this time around.

The most interesting thing about going back to this book was seeing just how far Armstrong has come with her characters and the world. There were several moments in the story where I thought Paige, Lucas, and the ideas behind witches were rather shaky and clichéd. It felt like Armstrong wasn’t sure where she wanted to take the characters at this point in the series. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book enough that I might also re-read [b:Industrial Magic|125925|Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388697160s/125925.jpg|121282].

Overall, my grade for this book didn’t change. I would recommend Dime Store Magic to fans of the series, but I don’t think I would suggest you start off with this book. If you’re looking to get into the Women of the Otherworld series, I would suggest starting out with [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334]. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
This third book in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series moves away from the Werewolves Clay and Elena and switches to the story of Paige the Witch.

To be honest, I wasn't that crazy for Paige's story. Not because I wanted to stick with the Werewolves (although that would have been fine too), but because I just didn't really like Paige much as a character. She was tasked with parenting the 13 year old Savannah, daughter of the recently deceased Eve, and the way the story tells it Savannah is a brat. Actually, I thought Savannah had the right end of the stick in most of the escapades and Paige would have done well to just suck it up and listen to her now and then. Not only is Savannah a more powerful witch, she's quicker on the up-take and it would seem that despite only being 13 she's also more adept at reading the 'signals' where romance is involved. Paige just strikes me as a really weak woman.

However, in her defence she did come good at the end.....barely. She appeared to have a normal, loving relationship with her caring (late) mother, so why did she find it virtually impossible to show affection for Savannah the child in her care? She wasn't cruel but she was hardly the demonstrative type. Would a cuddle now and then have killed her?

Overall I get the impression that although this is the 3rd book in the season, this was actually written first. It doesn't seem to have the same style as the first 2. For all the subject is different, it just feels less well crafted.

At the end I'm left wondering what the people round here would make of Paige, if the story was set here.....I'm pretty sure nobody would take any notice to be honest. Some crazy woman who it's claimed is a witch with evil powers? Riiiight. That would have the whole town camped on her front door round here.......I don't think. People just wouldn't and don't care about that stuff enough, I don't think.

But still - I'm definitely going to read the next follow on's. Just because I didn't love Dime Store Magic doesn't mean I'm giving up. It was an OK story and I didn't hate it, plus I expect I'll need the info in this one in order to enjoy the others. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Good fun. Paige is starting to come into her own and starting to learn how the real world works. Lucas should make a good partner for her, both business and personal. Savanah has possibities if she can get over being so annoying. ( )
  bgknighton | Jul 28, 2014 |
I read No Humans Involved before I decided to start the whole series. Although I loved Dime Store Magic, I felt it didn't show as much control and careful planning as Armstrong's later books have, but I still loved it and enjoyed it to the very last page. As always, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
In this book we follow Paige Winterborne, young witch from Stolen who has come home with a major duty – to look after the extremely powerful 12 year old witch, Savannah Levine. An already daunting task to take on with the full disapproval of the Coven elders levelled against her.

But Leah is back – and the half-demon has brought the Nast Cabal with her, determined to claim custody of Savannah. The Cabal’s pockets are vast – but even that is dwarfed by the magical assets they can bring to hand. Legal battles, murdered lawyers, the rising dead and the constant threat of sorcerous magic and Leah’s devastating telekinesis makes for a daunting threat. Worst of all, they take the battle public, accusing Paige as a witch, as a Satanist, as anything they can get to stick and watch crowds of humans and media converge on Paige’s doorstep

Ostracised by her community, abandoned by her Coven, Paige has to handle the full might of the Cabal on her own –except for the altruistic intervention of Lucas Cortez, Sorcerer and do-gooder crusader – with the oddest family connections.

I loved this book. While the last book was, perhaps, a little clumsy in introducing the full range of supernatural beings, this book has been introduced and can now use all the things we’ve seen. We get to see magic, what it really means and what it really involves, we get to see more and learn more about Half-Demons and Sorcerers and Witches and Necromancers, we get history and context and so much more world building – but all of it is fully integrated into the story. No awkward dumping or shoe-horning, no lectures and no convoluted explanation moments. We get to see the world through the story, not it pushed in whenever it can be. I also like that the Cabals, in many cases the big bad of the supernatural world, are not presented as uber-evil criminal organisations. It’s more nuanced than that

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, for all his support and encouragement.
Todd adjusted his leather power seat and smiled.
“We’re not naked, we’re skyclad !”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587064, Mass Market Paperback)

From one of today’s most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world’s most powerful elite organizations—the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige’s wildest antics can’t hold a candle to those of her new charge—an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder—and frame Paige for the crime. It’s an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:22 -0400)

"From one of today's most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want. Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations--the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge--an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder--and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive."-- BOOK COVER… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,216,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible