Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Dime Store Magic (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Kelley Armstrong (Author)

Member:PhaedraB
Title:Dime Store Magic
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:New York : Spectra (2004) mass market paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Fiction
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal romance, occult fiction

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong (2004)

Unchained by Sharon Ashwood (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Strong, well-written characters and a story that walks the paranormal romance/urban fantasy boundary

English (72)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (74)
Dime Store Magic
4 Stars

New coven leader, Paige Winterbourne, has a lot on her plate coping with her powerful yet troubled young ward, Savannah, over the objections of her fellow witches. Things only get worse when a dark faction in the supernatural world attempts to get their hands on Savannah and Paige is forced into an unlikely alliance with a sorcerer.

Armstrong’s world building continues with additional details provided on the dynamics between the various supernatural races. The focus in this installment is on the witches and sorcerers as opposed to the wolves, and the history and conflicts between the cabals and the covens makes for interesting reading. Moreover, the idea that magic itself is neither inherently good or evil, but linked to the intentions and actions of the wielder is also very compelling.

The POV in this book is that of Paige, the young witch introduced in Stolen, and there is little to no mention of Elena and the pack. Although Paige is less physically kick-ass than Elena, she is intelligent, courageous and loyal to a fault. While she does initially allow her prejudices to overrule her common sense, she is ultimately able to put them aside and accept Lucas’s help.

Lucas is the newest addition to my hottie harem. It is wonderful reading of a hero who uses his words rather than his fists to get his message across, and one cannot help comparing him to the more overtly aggressive and less in control Clay from Bitten and Stolen.

Paige and Lucas’s romance is slower to develop that Elena and Clay’s, perhaps because they lack the backstory of the previous couple. Nevertheless, their banter is excellent and leads to numerous laugh-out-loud moments, and their chemistry is hot and heavy.

Savannah is one of the more complex characters in the series so far. One the one hand, she is a typical teenager with the angst that accompanies this, but there is also a darker side to her personality and it is clear that she is in dire need of discipline and some lessons in humanity and humility.

The plot is fast paced with Paige forced to face one obstacle after another from a murderous foe who frames her for Satan worship and murder to vigilante extremists and religious fanatics determined to “burn the witch”.

In terms of the audiobook narration, Laural Merlington takes some getting used to. She sounds much older than Paige’s 25 years and all of her male voices sound alike. Nevertheless, her voice for Savannah is spot on with its mix of childishness and teenage rebellion. Moreover, she does the verbal sparing between Paige and Savannah and Paige and Lucas very well.

All in all, Dime Store Magic is an entertaining addition to the series and it will be interesting to see where Armstrong takes her characters in the future. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I must admit that while reading Stolen, the second book of this series, I didn't exactly like Paige. She seemed annoying at first, probably because she was young and impulsive. Then we read about her in Dime Store Magic and we see a mature Paige, one that isn't so impulsive. Also, I loved how she wants to help witches regain their full powers. It is possible that Savannah helped her mature, besides the things that happened in the previous book and that Paige witnessed. All I know is that I liked the change.

Her knight in shinning armor is Lucas Cortez, lawyer and sorcerer, son of one of the most important man in the supernatural world. I liked that some of Paige's beliefs were challenged by this relationship. As we learned before, witches and sorcerers are enemies and hate each other, each thinking the others are beneath them. Yes, Paige and Lucas do have some rough moments and they butt heads a time or two, but in the end they fall in love and overcome their differences. I actually loved Lucas. He was so patient and he helped Paige get out of some really difficult situations in the beginning of the book, even though she did her best to keep him away from her.

I was sad that Adam didn't appear more :( I know it wasn't his story, but still.. Other than that tinny little detail, I can say I loved this book. Very fast-paced, full of suspense, romance, action, humor. Oh, and some sarcasm. I do love a sarcastic character. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
Still not my favorite series, but moving away from Elena's story does make me like this series quite a bit more. The dynamic between the main character and her ward is interesting and reads true to me, and the story moves along nicely enough. This character still suffers from the poor decision making skills that plagued the characters from the first two books. I'm not sure I've ever read a series where I've had to shake my head at the characters half as much as this one. Despite enjoying the characters much more here, the plot's dependence on stupid choices made by the protagonists still leave me just barely lukewarm on this series. ( )
  duchessjlh | Oct 8, 2016 |
Strong willed women, great world to read about. Savanah the witch is becominga women and strong too.. Cortez is a doll. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Women of the Otherworld Series. The story is narrated by a witch named Paige Winterbourne. After the death of her mother, she is supposed to be the leader of the American coven, however the elders and most other members don't seem to respect her. She is taking care of a young witch, named Savannah, who is just on the verge of gaining most of her powers, and the coven isn't fond of her either. All of a sudden, Paige is being challenged on custody of Savannah by a half-demon named Leah who is representing a sorcerer claiming to be Savannah's father. Thanks to Leah, Paige is set up for murder and several other incidences that lead the town to thinking she is part of a Satanic Cult. Getting no support from her coven, Paige is left to depend on herself, Savannah, and a sorcerer (most untrustworthy to witches) named Lucas to keep Savannah out of the clutches of those who would harm her.

Tanya-D | Jan 15, 2016 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, for all his support and encouragement.
Todd adjusted his leather power seat and smiled.
“We’re not naked, we’re skyclad !”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587064, Mass Market Paperback)

From one of today’s most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world’s most powerful elite organizations—the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige’s wildest antics can’t hold a candle to those of her new charge—an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder—and frame Paige for the crime. It’s an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:13 -0400)

"From one of today's most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want. Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations--the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge--an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder--and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive."-- BOOK COVER… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible