Women of the Otherworld 03 - Dime Store…

Women of the Otherworld 03 - Dime Store Magic (original 2004; edition 2011)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:Senhina
Title:Women of the Otherworld 03 - Dime Store Magic
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 416 pagina's
Collections:Your library, E-books
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Urban, Women of the Otherworld

Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong (2004)

Unchained by Sharon Ashwood (thewalkinggirl)
    thewalkinggirl: Strong, well-written characters and a story that walks the paranormal romance/urban fantasy boundary

English (69)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
Strong willed women, great world to read about. Savanah the witch is becominga women and strong too.. Cortez is a doll. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Women of the Otherworld Series. The story is narrated by a witch named Paige Winterbourne. After the death of her mother, she is supposed to be the leader of the American coven, however the elders and most other members don't seem to respect her. She is taking care of a young witch, named Savannah, who is just on the verge of gaining most of her powers, and the coven isn't fond of her either. All of a sudden, Paige is being challenged on custody of Savannah by a half-demon named Leah who is representing a sorcerer claiming to be Savannah's father. Thanks to Leah, Paige is set up for murder and several other incidences that lead the town to thinking she is part of a Satanic Cult. Getting no support from her coven, Paige is left to depend on herself, Savannah, and a sorcerer (most untrustworthy to witches) named Lucas to keep Savannah out of the clutches of those who would harm her.

Tanya-D | Jan 15, 2016 |
Dime Store Magic is a well written, well thought out, enjoyable novel of witchcraft in the modern world. In the world created in the story, witches live in hiding afraid that they will be found and exposed, allowing their magic to wane over time. Paige Winterbourne is a 23 year-old witch who is the leader of her Coven, taking over from her mom. Part of her responsibilities include taking care of the teenage Savannah, who has a talent for dark magic. This leads to the attraction of dark forces, including that of her sorcerer father. Paige turns to Lucas Cortez, a geeky sorcerer for help.

Dime Store Magic is a thoroughly enjoyable read. I liked the style and voice that Kelly Armstrong employed in this novel. It really fits the narrative and makes the story work. The plot is logical and well-developed. All together this was a strong novel and I look forward to reading more of Armstrong’s work.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Nov 7, 2015 |
Trigger warning for attempted rape

Dime Store Magic is the third in Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series, but it stands alone. I was able to understand what was going on even without having read the second book.

Dime Store Magic was an okay book. It wasn’t particularly great, but it wasn’t particularly horrible. I don’t regret reading it, but I wouldn’t read it again. It was fairly entertaining and managed to hold my attention.

The plot of Dime Store Magic basically boils down to a supernatural custody case, which was something I hadn’t seen before. The main character, Paige, has been the head witch of the coven since her mother’s death. She has a ward, Savannah, whose deceased mother practiced black magic. Leah, an evil half-demon, has attempted to snatch Savannah before. But now, Leah’s got an ace up her sleeve: Savannah’s father, who’s part of a nefarious sorcerer’s cable which will stop at nothing to get their hands on a young witch.

The relationship between Paige and Savannah was probably my favorite part of the book. Savannah’s a rather difficult thirteen year old, but it’s clear she cares for Paige and vise versa.

I liked that the focus wasn’t on the romantic relationship. There’s really no romance at all for the first 300 pages, although this does mean that there was almost no build up when you suddenly got a sex scene.

On the trigger warning… the attempted rape was completely unnecessary and added nothing. She was already being threatened with death and torture, I have no idea what the Armstrong felt rape would add to the situation.

I would tentatively recommend Dime Store Magic for fans of urban fantasy.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 7, 2015 |
I did a re-read of [b:Dime Store Magic|125926|Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355183293s/125926.jpg|2492799] for one of my 2015 reading challenges. I can’t believe that it’s already been ten years since I first read this book.

After the events of [b:Stolen|11922|Stolen (Women of the Otherworld #2)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1300923278s/11922.jpg|14289], Paige Winterbourne has taken in thirteen year old Savannah Levine whose mother recently died. Savannah is a powerful witch for her age, but impulsive. It’s a dangerous combination that has the Nast Cabal (the supernatural equivalent of the mafia) tearing Paige’s life apart in a bid for custody. As her life continues to crumble around her, Paige is forced to accept assistance from Lucas Cortez, a young lawyer with his own motives for helping.

I decided to read Dime Store Magic again because I didn’t give Paige a fair shot the first time around. When I first read this, it was immediately after devouring the first two books in the series, which feature werewolf Elena Michaels. I had adored Elena and wasn’t excited to discover that the next book's narrator was going to be the twenty-something witch from Stolen. (Especially, since I hadn’t cared for Paige in that story.) While I had ended-up enjoying Dime Store Magic on my first reading, I still thought Paige was a little lack luster. It wasn’t until later in the series that I got into her and Lucas, as characters. So, I’m glad I did a re-read as I was able to appreciate them more this time around.

The most interesting thing about going back to this book was seeing just how far Armstrong has come with her characters and the world. There were several moments in the story where I thought Paige, Lucas, and the ideas behind witches were rather shaky and clichéd. It felt like Armstrong wasn’t sure where she wanted to take the characters at this point in the series. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book enough that I might also re-read [b:Industrial Magic|125925|Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388697160s/125925.jpg|121282].

Overall, my grade for this book didn’t change. I would recommend Dime Store Magic to fans of the series, but I don’t think I would suggest you start off with this book. If you’re looking to get into the Women of the Otherworld series, I would suggest starting out with [b:Bitten|11918|Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1)|Kelley Armstrong|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1306101770s/11918.jpg|2606334]. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father, for all his support and encouragement.
Todd adjusted his leather power seat and smiled.
“We’re not naked, we’re skyclad !”

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553587064, Mass Market Paperback)

From one of today’s most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world’s most powerful elite organizations—the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige’s wildest antics can’t hold a candle to those of her new charge—an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder—and frame Paige for the crime. It’s an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:13 -0400)

"From one of today's most original writers comes the mesmerizing tale of an exceptional young woman caught up in an otherworldly realm where some will stop at nothing to get what they want. Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations--the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge--an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil...and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder--and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive."-- BOOK COVER… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible