Greek Tragedies, Volume 2 The Libation…

Greek Tragedies, Volume 2 The Libation Bearers (Aeschylus), Electra… (original 1960; edition 1960)

by Aeschylus (Editor), Sophocles, Euripides, David Grene (Editor), Richmond Lattimore (Editor)

Member:RLMuller
Title:Greek Tragedies, Volume 2 The Libation Bearers (Aeschylus), Electra (Sophocles), Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, & The Trojan Women (Euripides)
Authors:Aeschylus
Other authors:Sophocles, Euripides, David Grene (Editor), Richmond Lattimore (Editor)
Info:University Of Chicago Press (1960), Paperback, 304 pages

Greek tragedies, Volume 2 by David Grene (Editor) (1960)

Although Trojan Women is not considered one of the great plays, is it my favourite of all time: Euriped is a master and Richmond Lattimore has a way with words. I was - much against my will - involved in the Rhodes University drama production of The Trojan Women in 1977: I had to attend every single rehearsal and soon became familiar with this text.

Over 30 years later I still love it and can quote sections by heart: there is nothing to compare to it or to Lattimore's translation. Having said that, I must take my hat off to Sophocles and his Electra which most definately IS one of the greats and contains many memorable and moving sections.

This is a wonderful collection of the best plays ever penned. ( )
  adpaton | Feb 3, 2010 |
This book contains plays by Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, translated from ancient, classical Greek. The edition is edited by David Grene and Richmond Lattimore.

The plays are
- The Libation Bearers, by Aeschylus, translated by Richmond Lattimore
- Electra, by Sophocles, translated by David Grene
- Iphigenia in Tauris, by Euripides, translated by Witter Bynner
- Electra, by Euripides, translated by Emily Townsend Vermeule
- The Trojan Women, by Euripides, translated by Richmond Lattimore ( )
  monado | May 22, 2006 |

Grene, DavidEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lattimore, RichmondEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
AeschylusContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
EuripidesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
SophoclesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In three paperback volumes, the Grene and Lattimore editions offer a selection of the most important and characteristic plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides from the nine-volume anthology of The Complete Greek Tragedies. Over the years these authoritative, critically acclaimed editions have been the preferred choice of more than three million readers for personal libraries and individual study as well as for classroom use.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,260,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible