I Thee Wed by Amanda Quick

I Thee Wed (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Amanda Quick

Series: Vanza (2)

Member:xenchu
Title:I Thee Wed
Authors:Amanda Quick
Info:Bantam (1999), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read and owned, Read in 2012
Tags:fiction, romance, Regency romance, paid companion, self-made man, philosophy of Vanza, Book of Secrets, recipe, murder, deception, vanza strategy, read in 2012

I Thee Wed by Amanda Quick (1999)

While I enjoyed the book, it was not one of Amanda Quick's better novels. The beginning is interesting with the characters meeting while hiding entangled in a wardrobe. Edison Stokes is charming, eccentric and has some witty lines. Emma, on the other hand, is just down right annoying. All she seems to ever talk about is needing money and references, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what about her Edison likes. She is stubborn, bossy, and all about herself and her post. She does not possess too many redeeming character traits. Most of her comments I found grating. I do like how Emma handles Edison's grandmother and the grandmother's role in the story. There were a few funny moments, but overall, I think the book was merely average and that Emma's character developed poorly. The love interest was weak and the Vanza scheme was weak. But it was an easy read and interesting enough for me to finish the book. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
This was an OK read, nothing more. Admittedly, none of the Vanda series is a classic read, since they all have the (essentially) same plot but they make good brain candy after a hard day.

This one, however, was BORING. The constant repetition of "I am your employee, sir" or some variation, page after page, was irritating. Give it a rest.

There is no need to describe the plot in detail: woman in "reduced circumstances" meets rich Vanda man, finds herself in a precarious position, rescued by same and then finds herself in a plot of some complexity. Trouble is, I figured out this one almost at the beginning and it wasn't sufficiently interesting to keep me engaged.

It would make a pleasant enough beach read or airplane read but that's about it.
  MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
This one wasn't quite as good as the first in this series, but still quite enjoyable. Amanda Quick's novels are a notch above most historical romances. I love the mystery and intrigue in this series. ( )
  gpangel | Sep 27, 2012 |
Enjoyed this light read. Liked the humour and the characters. The romance didn't make me want to vomit over it's mushiness like some of this genre does. Happy to read her again. ( )
  nicthechic | Oct 23, 2010 |
It isn't easy making a living as a lady's companion when one possesses a sharp tongue and an original mind. That's why Emma Greyson has gone through three such positions in six months. Her current post at a tiresome country house party has her bored to tears-until an extraordinary encounter with the legendary Edison Stokes leads to a secret position as his assistant. Stokes is on a peculiar mission, searching for an anonymous thief who has stolen an ancient book of arcane potions. He suspects his quarry is among the party's guests-and that the villain is looking for an intuitive woman on whom to test a certain elixir. A woman just like Emma... For Emma. the new post brings unexpected passion and chilling danger. But when murder strikes, she realizes the awful truth. Unless she and Edison devise a scheme to outwit a merciless killer, she could forever lose the m .w of her dreams-and even her very life... ( )
  amarynt | Jul 28, 2010 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazía, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553574108, Mass Market Paperback)

Amanda Quick proves once again that opposites most definitely do attract in her new Regency romance, I Thee Wed. Sharp-witted lady's companion Emma Greyson has as much trouble holding a job as she does holding her tongue. But lack of references can't deter Emma; she just writes her own and finagles a new position. Her present employment brings Emma to a tedious house party in the country where she spends most of her time trying to dodge the lecherous groping of the gentlemen guests. In fact, to avoid just such an encounter Emma is forced to hide in a wardrobe. The only problem is that the space is already occupied--by mysterious financier Edison Stokes, no less! Stokes is on a quest to locate a volume of arcane potions that could prove deadly if it falls into the wrong hands, and he believes the text is in the possession of one of the partygoers. Emma soon finds herself the focus of another kind of attention, equally undesirable, when her highly developed intuition makes her susceptible to the powerful potions of the black arts. To protect her, Stokes hires Emma to be his assistant, but quickly realizes that keeping Emma out of danger is a full-time job. The only solution is to keep her close to him--very close to him. And neither Stokes nor Emma minds that at all! Bestselling author Amanda Quick keeps readers begging for more in this highly entertaining historical. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:37 -0400)

At Ware Castle, lady companion Emma Greyson ducks into a cupboard to avoid a lecher, and who should she meet hiding there, but the dashing Lord Edison Stokes. He is in the castle on a secret mission and together they solve a murder.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible