Criminal, Vol. 2: Lawless by Ed Brubaker

Criminal, Vol. 2: Lawless (edition 2008)

by Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips

Series: Criminal (2)

Member:syrin
Title:Criminal, Vol. 2: Lawless
Authors:Ed Brubaker
Other authors:Sean Phillips
Info:Titan Books Ltd (2008), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Your library, To read (inactive)
Tags:Comics, Crime, Criminal, Graphic Novels, Marvel Comics, Private Collection, TBR

Criminal: Lawless by Ed Brubaker

Lawless tells the story of Tracy Lawless, a former criminal turned United States soldier. Upon hearing of his little brother's death, Ricky joins up with his brother's old gang in an effort to bring some justice to his killer.

Coming off some groundbreaking material with [b:Sleeper: Season One|6700070|Sleeper Season One|Ed Brubaker|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327953182s/6700070.jpg|16355928] and [b:Incognito, Volume 1|6584405|Incognito, Volume 1 (Incognito, #1)|Ed Brubaker|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1259044050s/6584405.jpg|6777898], I've decided to continue my recent Brubaker obsession with Vol. 2 of the Criminal series. I certainly liked this enough as in my opinion, it's on par with Volume 1. As always, the artwork is stellar and Brubaker's writing is excellent. Lots of misdirection here complete with a conclusion that makes sense and left me satisfied.

There's a great foreword written by Frank Miller here which sets up the story nicely. Getting recognized by one of the people responsible for the resurgence of the medium is certainly top-notch praise. It's certainly well deserved. Brubaker has opened me up to a whole new genre of graphic novels I hadn't realized existed. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Second in the Criminal series of hardboiled graphic novels, and quite good. This is the one that sets the formalist structure for the series, by emphasizing how all the stories take place in a shared city: a dank, always-rainy, claustrophobia-inducing spin on the comics tradition of the shared universe. A loose tie to the first book provides the DNA for the central character, an AWOL soldier.
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |

"From what I've seen so far, Criminal seems to focus on a group of criminals who are criminals partly because that's what their parents were, and that's how the characters are connected to each other. I could be wrong; my sample size is only two books so far. Volume 1 is about a pickpocket who's very good at not going to jail because he knows when to run away; Volume 2 is about a soldier who returns home after his brother's death to find out who in his brother's gang was responsible. The stories follow different paths, but some of the same general ideas and themes are there, like the need to stay hidden, the possibility of being double-crossed, and the tough criminal woman who can take care of herself, except when it's convenient to the plot that she can't/won't. Oh, and she has sex with the main character. That's not a spoiler, was it? I'm not really outraged, it's pretty much a staple of the hard-boiled genre, but you would hope that we could at least give a women a little more to do before we throw them into bed." ( )
  lampbane | May 13, 2011 |

Ed Brubakerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Phillips, SeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Twenty years ago, Tracy Lawless traded the crime-ridden streets of the city for a life in the military, and it's a decision he's rarely regretted. But now he's walking out of the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq and back into the world he grew up in, to find out who killed his brother Rick, and why. But truth is one of the few things uglier than family history, and the only thing Tracy has in his favor as he unravels the twisted strands of the criminal life his brother led, is that no one knows who the hell he is. And what they don't know, just might kill them! Collects Criminal #6-10

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:22 -0400)

"Twenty years ago, Tracy Lawless traded the crime-ridden streets of the city for a life in the military, and it's a decision he's rarely regretted. But now he's walking out of the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq and back into the world he came from, to find out who killed his brother Rick, and why. But truth is one of the few things uglier than family history, and the only thing Tracy has in his favor as he unravels the twisted strands of the criminal life his brother led, is that no on knows who the hell he is. And what they don't know just might kill them"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,978,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible