The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman

The Last Temptation (original 1994; edition 2005)

by Neil Gaiman, Michael Zulli

Member:barrybonifay
Title:The Last Temptation
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Michael Zulli
Info:Dark Horse (2005), Edition: 1st Hardcover Ed, Hardcover, 104 pages
Rating:***

The Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman (1994)

1 (2) Alice Cooper (21) collection (3) comic (16) comic book (4) comics (51) coming of age (3) Comix (3) dark (4) Dark Horse (10) English (3) fantasy (33) favorite (2) fiction (45) First Edition (3) gaiman (17) gothic (3) graphic novel (110) hardcover (5) horror (28) Michael Zulli (3) music (10) Neil Gaiman (16) owned (3) read (12) reviewed (2) signed (3) theatre (2) to-read (12) unread (8)

English (11)  Polish (1)  All languages (12)
To me this felt like an outline rather than a story. The characters lacked any depth that I could discover, and I didn't really understand any of their motivations. Maybe the album this was inspired from was meant to fill in those gaps, but I've never been much of an Alice Cooper fan. Some of the artwork was fun but overall it just didn't do it for me. ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |
A black and white comic that is very well drawn by Michael Zulli to Neil Gaiman's words. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
Gaiman's homage to Something Wicked This Way Comes and Creepshow. I understand he collaborated with Alice Cooper on this one. There's a nice little story to start the book off with how that came about. I'd like to listen to the companion album sometime. It was a fun, short read. ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Dec 28, 2009 |
It was an okay read but lacked the usual depth of Neil Gaiman. Having said that, he does say in the introduction that it's not a story he would have written by himself. The artwork is very good, as one can expect from Mr. Zulli. ( )
  elmyra | Aug 10, 2009 |
Gaiman meets rock star Alice Cooper in this Halloween tale that originally appeared in the early 1990s. It adapts a story from Cooper's album "Lost in America", to which Gaiman contributed story and lyrics.

Gaiman manages to elevate the most frequent scene in literature -- that of evil tempting innocence and offering fantasies come true, all in exchange for the poor sap's soul -- into something quite unique.

However, this work fell short of my expectation. I really didn't care what happens to Steven; I never got a sense of his personality, any feeling that he was real or realistic. As a lead character, he's a bit dull.

Fortunately, Michael Zulli is magnificently spot-on with his depiction of Alice Cooper. And who else but Alice is perfect in a role as the ultimate showman (a cross of his stage self and Dahl's Willy Wonka)? I think Zulli's black and white illustrations fit perfectly with Gaiman's story. The art is evocative and well done, bringing out the eeriness of the theme. I've heard there's a colored version of this graphic novel but I'm pretty much satisfied with this copy.

The effort to work in Cooper's lyrics holds back the plot and dialogue in more than a few places. It's a growing-up story of a boy, but with a final insight that whispers rather than shouting. The ending results in being a tad cryptic and vague.

Book Details:

Title The Last Temptation
Author Neil Gaiman & Michael Zulli
Reviewed By Purplycookie ( )
  purplycookie | Apr 12, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159307414X, Hardcover)

Steven is afraid. Afraid of ghost stories, afraid of growing up... just afraid. That is, until he meets the mysterious Showman and his Theatre of the Real. Steven takes a ticket and watches the show on a dare, but getting out of the performance will be harder than he ever imagined. And then Steven learns what it is to be truly afraid. Neil Gaiman, internationally acclaimed and bestselling writer of both prose fiction (Neverwhere, Stardust) and graphic novels (The Sandman, Signal to Noise) teams with veteran artist Michael Zulli (The Sandman, Creatures of the Night) to create this dark and brooding morality tale. The Last Temptation is the latest addition to Dark Horse's proud and growing library of Neil Gaiman hardcovers. Originally published as part of the short-lived Marvel Music line of the early '90s, Zulli's lush and beautiful duoshade artwork is now showcased in a new format for this stunning second edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:36 -0400)

Graphic novel. Halloween is coming, and young teenager Steven is scared of girls, scared of his friends and scared of growing up.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,256,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible