Nightingale's Lament by Simon R. Green

Nightingale's Lament (2004)

by Simon R. Green

After 3 books, the series is still going strong. The Nightside never gets dull because there's always new areas to discover and new evils to battle. ( )
  Navarre1963 | Jan 28, 2016 |
Compared to the first two books in the series this book was a pale and sickly thing. There seemed to be more information dumping than actual investigating. Green is able to pull this off flawlessly, and be forgiven for it. This is all due to the personalities he's given his characters. They're quick witted, resilient, and all have a never say DIE attitude. My personal favorite factor in this series is Alex, and the Strange Fellows bar. That honestly has to be one of the things that keeps me putting my brain through the punishment this series keeps meting out. (I wholeheartedly blame this to over exposure to Disney movies and Nickjr.)
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Green??s writing is becoming repetitive, but he continues to dream up really wacky characters in strange situations. Very creative. Very quick read. The audio is the way to go, I think.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/greensimonr/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Synopsis: John Taylor is a private investigator working in a very odd part of London, the Nightside. In book 3, Taylor is hired to find out if a very popular singer is working under duress, and if her voice is really killing people. To complete this job he must work with a person who is back from the dead as well as several other entities who are ‘not quite normal’.
Review: Weird and fun are good adjectives to describe this book. Although this is the third in a series, it stands alone. The characters and the plot are interesting, making the book difficult to put down. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 27, 2013 |
John Taylor has a new case – to rescue the Nightingale. A singer whose voice is so incredible she may be the next big thing in the Nightside where the incredible is the norm. A singer whose sad songs can literally cause people to kill themselves in grief – a fact that only adds to her popularity, not detract from it.

And a singer who may be being held against her will. At least, that’s what her father thinks.

Which sets John Taylor on track to speak to and free the Nightingale – but the Cavendishes, her handlers, managers or owners, guard their prize jealously and have the vast power and influence to ensure that even John Taylor can’t just walk in the front door and make demands. A chain of investigation follows, tracking down what the Cavendishes have done in the past, and discovering exactly what they have done to the Nightingale.

To complicate things, John has upset the powers that be. A necessary act of revenge against the murderer of an old and valued friend has caused a large section of the Nightside to lose all power. The Authorities are not amused and wish to speak to John about it – and they’re quite insistant.

I am rapidly becoming unstuck trying to review these books. It’s difficult because I don’t have a lot of praiseworthy things to say about them. But I love them.

Which is a ridiculous contradiction, but it’s true.

The story is good – very well paced, well written, extremely exciting and with very well done action scenes. There are no twists though, no surprises that can’t be guessed well ahead of time. It’s somewhat predictable, we know how it’s going to end, we know who the bad guys are, we even know their super super secret that was very obvious from the very beginning.

Yet, it was good. It was predictable, I knew exactly how it was going to end – and it was still immense fun. Sometimes the journey doesn’t have to be surprising to be a fun one. It can still be exciting, still be fun of excellent fight scenes, still have some wonderful and enthralling settings and developments to keep you turning the pages. Even without twists and surprises, the story was compelling and enthralling. Even with the dramatic villain monologues – repeated dramatic villain monologues! In fact, it says a lot about the writing that it can make so many of these tropes that you shouldn’t ever do in writing work. Hard boiled film-noir-ish internal monologues allowing the protagonist to info dump? Yes we have lots of that – and it’s excellent and it works and I love it. Over the top villainous exposition “since I’m going to kill you anyway let me explain all my nefarious schemes!?” yes it’s there, lots of it – and it’s excellent and it works and I love it.

The protagonist, John Taylor, is pretty hollow. He’s a power fantasy – super charged, stare-‘em-down, show everyone who’s boss, power fantasy. And he’s a really good one. It’s hard not to have a little fun with him staring down major powers, with everyone flinching at his name, with him avenging his friends no matter the cost and with him kicking an ogre in the balls. It’s fun, mindless, power fantasy fun. But fun nevertheless. Sometimes some simple mindless fun is exactly what the doctor ordered. I honestly can’t point to any real defining characteristic of John than this – he’s got a nebulous history, he has this whole hard-boiled-film-noir-stereotype thing and vast amounts of power and hardassery over the classic heart of gold. He’s a walking stereotype, he’s a cliché writ large – but I really like him.

read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
My name is John Taylor. I've made that a name to be respected and feared, but it's also made me a target my whole life.

I operate as a private eye, in a world where gods and monsters are real. The Nightside: the sick, the secret magical heart of London. A place where dreams come true, whether you want them to or not. It's not easy to find a way in, and even harder to find a way out.

I can find anything, solve any mystery. Except the answers to the dark and deadly secrets to my own past.

My name is John Taylor. And if you've come looking for me, either you're in trouble, or you're about to be.
There are all kinds of Powers running loose in the Nightside, but its power sources have to be rather more reliable, as well as completely divorced from outside interference.

"Taylor is the name. John Taylor....My card says I'm a detective, but what I really am is an expert on finding things. It's part of the Gift I was born with as a child of the Nightside - the hidden heart of London where it's always three a.m., where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side in the endless darkness of the soul.

"Assignment: Find out why the local diva called the Nightingale has cut herself off from her family and friends. I'm also wondering why her suicide-prone fans think she has a voice to die for. Literally...."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441011632, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Nightside, the hidden heart of London where it's always 3 AM, Detective John Taylor must find an elusive singer known as The Nightingale. Her silken voice has inexplicably lured many a fan to suicide--and Taylor is determined to stop her, before the whole neighborhood falls under her trance. But to catch the swift-winged Nightingale, he'll have to hear the deadly music--and survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

John Taylor, a "finder" who works in the Nightside, the magical underworld of London, is hired to find out why a local diva called the Nightingale has cut herself off from her family and friends, and why suicide-prone fans believe her voice is literally "to die for."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible