Nightingale's Lament by Simon R. Green

Nightingale's Lament (2004)

by Simon R. Green

Recently added byprivate library, Aneris, zeuc, MabeeClan, MichieAllin, HeatherQ, BookHavenAZ, xxfirelighterxx

I love John Taylor.
There is less dark humour in this one than in the previous stories and the ungratefulness of certain character(s) in the end really got me mad. He is hired to find out whether the singer is forced to sing for the Cavendishes since there are a lot of suicides connected to her singing. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
After 3 books, the series is still going strong. The Nightside never gets dull because there's always new areas to discover and new evils to battle. ( )
  Navarre1963 | Jan 28, 2016 |
Compared to the first two books in the series this book was a pale and sickly thing. There seemed to be more information dumping than actual investigating. Green is able to pull this off flawlessly, and be forgiven for it. This is all due to the personalities he's given his characters. They're quick witted, resilient, and all have a never say DIE attitude. My personal favorite factor in this series is Alex, and the Strange Fellows bar. That honestly has to be one of the things that keeps me putting my brain through the punishment this series keeps meting out. (I wholeheartedly blame this to over exposure to Disney movies and Nickjr.)
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Greenƒ??s writing is becoming repetitive, but he continues to dream up really wacky characters in strange situations. Very creative. Very quick read. The audio is the way to go, I think.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/greensimonr/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Synopsis: John Taylor is a private investigator working in a very odd part of London, the Nightside. In book 3, Taylor is hired to find out if a very popular singer is working under duress, and if her voice is really killing people. To complete this job he must work with a person who is back from the dead as well as several other entities who are ‘not quite normal’.
Review: Weird and fun are good adjectives to describe this book. Although this is the third in a series, it stands alone. The characters and the plot are interesting, making the book difficult to put down. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 27, 2013 |
My name is John Taylor. I've made that a name to be respected and feared, but it's also made me a target my whole life.

I operate as a private eye, in a world where gods and monsters are real. The Nightside: the sick, the secret magical heart of London. A place where dreams come true, whether you want them to or not. It's not easy to find a way in, and even harder to find a way out.

I can find anything, solve any mystery. Except the answers to the dark and deadly secrets to my own past.

My name is John Taylor. And if you've come looking for me, either you're in trouble, or you're about to be.
There are all kinds of Powers running loose in the Nightside, but its power sources have to be rather more reliable, as well as completely divorced from outside interference.

"Taylor is the name. John Taylor....My card says I'm a detective, but what I really am is an expert on finding things. It's part of the Gift I was born with as a child of the Nightside - the hidden heart of London where it's always three a.m., where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side in the endless darkness of the soul.

"Assignment: Find out why the local diva called the Nightingale has cut herself off from her family and friends. I'm also wondering why her suicide-prone fans think she has a voice to die for. Literally...."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441011632, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Nightside, the hidden heart of London where it's always 3 AM, Detective John Taylor must find an elusive singer known as The Nightingale. Her silken voice has inexplicably lured many a fan to suicide--and Taylor is determined to stop her, before the whole neighborhood falls under her trance. But to catch the swift-winged Nightingale, he'll have to hear the deadly music--and survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

John Taylor, a "finder" who works in the Nightside, the magical underworld of London, is hired to find out why a local diva called the Nightingale has cut herself off from her family and friends, and why suicide-prone fans believe her voice is literally "to die for."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,416,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible