Preacher Vol. 1: Gone to Texas by Garth…

Preacher Vol. 1: Gone to Texas (edition 1996)

by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon (Illustrator)

Title:Preacher Vol. 1: Gone to Texas
Authors:Garth Ennis
Other authors:Steve Dillon (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1996), Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites

Preacher Vol. 1: Gone to Texas by Garth Ennis

English (40)  French (1)  All languages (41)
It wasn't what I was expecting, but admittedly I didn't know what to expect. I like the characters, especially Cassidy. Even though the background story is somewhat cliched, it still works, and the ongoing plot is new and fresh. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Oct 15, 2016 |
Gritty, for mature readers. Picked up in the last section, so moving on to collected book 2. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jun 18, 2016 |
Reviewing all volumes here.

Jesse Carter, a preacher in a church in Texas is possessed by Genesis, a child of an angel and demon that makes him more powerful than the God himself. Meanwhile the almighty has abandoned heaven as a result of this unholy consummation between heaven and hell. Jesse now has the word of god which he can use to make anyone obey him by simply commanding them to do so, even the lord himself. So blessed with his newfound power he sets off on a quest to find God and make him answerable for all the injustice he allows to happen in the world.

Filled with Texan machismo, expletives in almost every dialogue, angels, demons, vampires and Holy Grail this book combines mythology with modern day lives into a supernatural story. The series has ample doses of badass action sequences with the hero walking-away-from-explosion kind of stuff. The premise looks promising but the plot fizzles out by the end. First volume does a good job at drawing you into the story but then it starts to get boring after the fourth volume with some sparks of excitement here and there. Also it gets very corny with a lot of wishy-washy philosophy on love, life and what’s fair. Quite ironically, though a preacher, Jesse is a Texan brute with i-don’t-give-a-fuck attitude and detests getting preachy but can’t seem to help himself from doing just that.

The series has some interesting characters with Cassidy being the most intriguing of them all. Cassidy is a hundred year old indestructible vampire who befriends Jesse on his quest and becomes his best buddy. But he is morally ambiguous with almost no sense of right and wrong. For instance he truly values their friendship but can’t stop hitting on his friend’s girlfriend despite having an abusive past towards women in his life which forms another dark part of his otherwise friendly, fun-loving persona. The gun toting Saint of Killers is an amusing character too. He is a man with a horrendous past who was expelled even from hell and is basically invincible. No one can kill him and no one is safe from the blaze of his guns. He becomes the centerpiece some good action in the comic and has a very badass appeal about him. Then there’s Arseface, a dumb teenager whose face looks like an arsehole because he shot himself through his face following in the footsteps of Kurt Cobain, his role model. As a result of this deformity Arseface speaks unintelligibly and inadvertently turns into a top selling rock star. The author uses his character to mock the popular music industry and the celebrity culture that rolls with it. Arseface is a hit despite his fans not understanding a word of what he sings. He is worshipped despite being hideous and dumb. It makes for a very good satire.

But the story gets very frustrating towards the end which is a big disappointment in itself. To play with the idea of a God descending from heavens to a world with modern society is a slippery slope that should be handled in a balanced manner. On one hand you don’t want to get too supernatural and throw all logic into the bin and on the other the story shouldn’t try to concentrate so much on rationalizing everything that the story simply loses its appeal. But worry not for Garth Ennis will bomb you with something else entirely as he ends the tale in a very Meyeresque fashion by making god look like a mushy, teenage, attention seeking idiot. Beneath the garb of all the expletives, masculinity and brashness this has the feel of a young adult book with a cheesy love story.

The one thing that deserves a resounding applause is the art work throughout the book. Steve Dillion does an awesome job at complementing the brawny and brutish persona of characters with his illustrations and creates a very dark and terrific impression.

Go for it if you love supernatural stuff with gods, vampires, angry characters and action. The first four volumes and the sixth are quite cool and recommended, but whether or not you will like other parts depends if you can handle some mawkish stuff. ( )
  Adarsh_Nargundkar | Jun 12, 2016 |
Reading this comic made me feel sick and a bit dirty. Ennis seems to feel that by adding as much violence, bodily fluids, rape and gore as possible, he'll achieve a gritty, realistic feel. Instead, he just makes himself look like a sick-minded poseur. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I'm assuming Mr. Ennis wrote this while he was in a asylum? Yea, yea I know I'm a little late to this party but usually supernatural horror isn't my thing. It IS my wife's thing so I got it "for her" as a gift, and as long as she already had it, I decided to read it (please don't compare me to Homer buying Marge a bowling ball with HIS name on it - I hate bowling).

So I'm definitely hooked but I do have to say this feels pretty dated by now. It bears the stench of the 90's. For me that's okay because I was 26 when it came out, just curious if younger kids will have a problem with it. Also I'm not really a fan of Fabry's artistic style. I get it that they wanted a kind of rough, dirty, style to complement the rough dirty happenings in the book but I tend to like the smoother, shinier comic styles or the totally painted stuff.

I'm giving it 4 stars because I loved Cassidy and the originality of the story. Also liked Officer Tool a lot and some of the dialogue was hilarious.

I'm wondering whatever happened to the sheriff's deformed son? If he comes back don't tell me. They named him Arseface so I think he's coming back for revenge. ( )
  ragwaine | Sep 6, 2015 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, SteveArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fabry, GlennCoverssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hollingsworth, MattColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lansdale, Joe R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robins, ClemLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the time of the preacher... ♫
No more quittin'. I'm gonna get Gran'ma an' Jody an' the rest've that motherfuckin' vermin, an' I'm gonna stamp 'em into the shit they came from. An' then I'm goin' back to lookin' for God, an' when I find him -- he better have a fuckin' good excuse.

Here's a book guaranteed to offend a bunch of people, not only because of its profuse profanity and graphic violence, but because it's the epitome of iconoclasm. Like a brutal accident, you can't watch but you can't turn away. The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God's abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind. Despite its superficial perversity, this book contains what may be the most moral character in mainstream comics. A cult hit in the making. Fans of Quentin Tarantino take note.--Amazon.com… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,804,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible